Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,741,523 times

Advertisements

I don;t thik everyone people think is homeless is actually homeless. Many are without lodging. The live on the BI or Maui or Kaui and have a temporary job on Oahu so they come over, but renting a place at the high rates would cut so much into their earnings. So they stay on the beach or other places and they appear homeless to those not use to that way of living.

You also have the problem of where do you put those that are homeless. Do you jail them for being down and out? Do you put them into a crowded shelter and deny them the rights as a citizen to walk or sit in public?

The solution isn;t to wonder why the police don;t do one thing or other, the solution is to propose a solution that cant be put into action. Keep in mnind that Hawaii jail space is so limited that lower crimes won;t have any jail sentence so jailing them is not a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 PM

49 posts, read 158,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I don;t thik everyone people think is homeless is actually homeless. Many are without lodging. The live on the BI or Maui or Kaui and have a temporary job on Oahu so they come over, but renting a place at the high rates would cut so much into their earnings. So they stay on the beach or other places and they appear homeless to those not use to that way of living.

You also have the problem of where do you put those that are homeless. Do you jail them for being down and out? Do you put them into a crowded shelter and deny them the rights as a citizen to walk or sit in public?

The solution isn;t to wonder why the police don;t do one thing or other, the solution is to propose a solution that cant be put into action. Keep in mnind that Hawaii jail space is so limited that lower crimes won;t have any jail sentence so jailing them is not a solution.
Pacificflights..the islands rely on tourism, my concern is specially in that specific area, the Waikiki area, this should be a concern, we should protect the tourist that bring money to the island. The other day I went for some groceries at foodpantry and some drunk homeless started to flirt and say nasty comments to all the girls waiting for the bus, they were all tourists, it was just a very uncomfortable situation, there were kids there too listening to all that crap. I mean I haven't seen such thing on a regular basis in other touristy areas. Its just what I see and as I said to the others you can go to these bus stops and see it by yourself. Im not lying. that is why I asked if there was a loitering law in Hawaii?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,349,947 times
Portland is bad, it's been years since I've been there.

San Francisco is completely out of control. Walk down Market Street, and hundreds and hundreds of homeless absolutely everywhere. I went into a Wendys Restaurant on Market Street, and had 5 different people come in and ask me for a $1 while I was eating my sandwhich.

Las Vegas, off the strip is another bad place. That's a place where you can't even wait for a bus without a guy or two sitting in the bus stop getting drunk and spare-changing you. Even in many parking lots, they'll spare-change you.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-06-2011 at 12:09 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,831,487 times
As far as "working girls" goes, I think it has actually gotten a lot better. Back in the 90's we used to walk down Kalakaua and would count about 10 per block. Hooker counting was a fun game back then!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
As far as "working girls" goes, I think it has actually gotten a lot better. Back in the 90's we used to walk down Kalakaua and would count about 10 per block. Hooker counting was a fun game back then!
I've been living here since May of this year and I can count way more than 10 per block on Kuhio avenue...when is the last time you've been to Waikiki?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 AM

I was there last December for my birthday visiting family and we go at least once a year. It has gotten a lot better. In the 90's they were all up and down Kalakaua and you didn't even want to walk down Kuhio at night.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,153,496 times
There is the "law of the splintered paddle" which allows folks to not be disturbed, I think it's part of Hawaii's constitution. That might affect how folks are rousted out or in this case, not rousted out. You can google it for details, no doubt.

Useta be they kept all the night folks over at Hotel Street, but that was back in the eighties. Then when they cleaned up Hotel Street, the night folk migrated to Waikiki. At first they were all over then they shuffled them off Kalakau Street and moved them over to Kuhio Street. They've been there pretty much since then. A lot of the mahu useta be over on River street down by Chinatown, but I don't know where they are now.

There is probably also a season for this sort of thing, too. When it gets cold on the mainland, I'm sure a lot of them migrate to warmer areas.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I was there last December for my birthday visiting family and we go at least once a year. It has gotten a lot better. In the 90's they were all up and down Kalakaua and you didn't even want to walk down Kuhio at night.
So you dont live here? just came here on vacation huh...you have a different prospective when you live here and see that scene everyday.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 AM

No, I do not live there. But go once or twice a year, two weeks at a time. I have family that live there, but not Waikiki. We always stay in Waikiki though because it is cheaper.
What I always found interesting was how if the hookers were on the mauka side of Kalakaua they were left alone by the police. Although, IF they crossed over to the makai side, they were busted almost immediately!

Old 11-06-2011, 11:24 AM

961 posts, read 1,227,980 times
I spend time in both Waikiki and Portland. Portland definately has more panhandlers on the street. I can get panhandled 4 times just walking 3 blocks. I think I've only been asked for money twice in Honolulu. I would say Portland has more aggressive panhandlers.

However, I see more drinking by homeless in Hawaii than in Portland.

Regarding the Hookers, I agree with Jennypal, it's really a bit shocking to see it so out in the open on the streets of Kuhio after dark. I don't believe prostitution is legal in Hawaii, so why the police turn a blind eye to it I can't understand. The prostitutes are working right out in the open with really no fear of arrest.

I've read that police allow it on Kuhio but draw the line when they walk down to Kalakaua. But it's not really true. I've seen them move down from Kuhio onto Kalakaua in the later hours of the night.

I just don't understand why they are not arrested when it is practiced so openly.

Regarding homeless, Just a couple days ago I just saw them rounding up and moving the homeless encampment across from the convention center along the Ala Wai canal. However, I'm 100% certain it was only because of the APEC event.

I think the bottom line is that the citizenry of Hawaii is more accepting of homeless camping on the streets and prostitutes working the streets then some other area's of the country. Thus they don't pass laws to curb it and law enforcement doesn't aggressively react to it. Just a hunch really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii