Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,922,725 times

Advertisements

What are you favorite things about living in Hawaii? This is for everyone, natives and people who have lived there a little while even.

Also, I've noticed "Aloha" is used for a lot of different things? I know it's used for hello and goodbye, but I've notice people using it to describe something or on another thread they said you have to "aloha" those little bugs? Just curious.

Aloha!

Last edited by floridadreamer; 08-18-2007 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:28 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,358,324 times
My favorite thing was the ocean. It's warm and clear and I like snorkeling in it.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,320,681 times
Besides the ocean and scenery, I love the diversity of the cultures represented here. A pleasant change from my Southern childhood...

And in regard to bugs...the only creature that gets "aloha" inside my house is the gecko. As I so often tell my soft-hearted SO, there is this invisible line....any creature except the gecko who comes into my house.....

Old 08-18-2007, 10:31 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,605,063 times
The ocean, the weather, especially the people. My company had some 28 carpenters at one point, Hapa Hawaiians, Haoles, Philipinos, the entire mix. We had a major BBQ out by 1000 Peaks one Friday, and EVERYBODY had brought something. Enough food to feed a small army. The guys, realizing this, began going through the park and inviting folks over, local, tourists, and some who may have been homeless. We must have had around 80 people there who weren't working for me, all having a great meal and a great time.
That's one of my favorite memories, all my guys, regardless of backround, showing the true Aloha spirit.
And I agree with Kolohe, geckos get all my aloha, I leave a light on by my lanai window all night, attracts the bugs, little guys get a buffet of sorts, can be very entertaining when a big moth shows up. According to one of my old Hawaiian freinds, they used to bet on which gecko would get the most bugs, this was pre-tv.

Aloha

Last edited by Jungjohann; 08-18-2007 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 06:19 AM

65 posts, read 377,911 times
The food.

Its great.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:19 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,922,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDane View Post
The food.

Its great.
Is that hawaiian food or just food in general.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 AM

79 posts, read 371,167 times
Friendly, down-to-earth and really pretty females especially in Pearl City (heheh..well at least in '97 and earlier), Being able to walk around Waikiki at night... It's so warm and friendly... Love Ala Moana mall, the North Shore is amazing in the evening - watching the surfing and the large waves, the fact that it's usually around 80ºF every single day, love the vibe at UH Manoa, went to Iolani (it's a great school), love Zippy's and L&L!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many interesting people to meet every SINGLE DAY. Pali lookout...very mysterious, skateboarding, bodyboarding in Hanauma bay, fishing, I could go and on and on...

Last edited by virgokid1; 08-19-2007 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 PM

86 posts, read 373,978 times
I love the weather! I'm a very cold-natured person, so my husband loves the fact that I can show more skin here. It's actually warm enough for me to wear shorts and tank-tops (which is rare).

I also love the ocean! Coming from the East Coast where the water is pretty murky, I love that the water is so clear. I love that I can see everything around me... we saw 4 sea turtles (or maybe the same one 4 times) at Big Beach on Friday.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:19 PM

19 posts, read 102,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
What are you favorite things about living in Hawaii? This is for everyone, natives and people who have lived there a little while even.

Also, I've noticed "Aloha" is used for a lot of different things? I know it's used for hello and goodbye, but I've notice people using it to describe something or on another thread they said you have to "aloha" those little bugs? Just curious.

Aloha!
Aloha also means Love.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,624,120 times
Aloha can also mean sympathy or to do something free-of-charge, expecting nothing in return. (Exept more Aloha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: