Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 PM

710 posts, read 1,398,121 times

Advertisements

I am returning to Hawaii after being back on the mainland for just under three years next April and had a couple of questions about cars and jobs. When I was in Hawaii before, I was attending the University of Hawaii so I didn't have to worry about this as much!

I currently have an '06 MINI Cooper that I purchased last November, so it will be a little over a year old when I move. I'm trying to figure out if it's best to keep it or sell it and get another car when I get over there. My reasoning is that my car has really good resale value, so I can probably get most of the money I paid for it back - definately more than I owe on it on the loan (which is 60 mos). I mean, I love my car, but if it's going to be more beneficial for me to sell it, I'd rather do that... I figure I can eventually get another one once I'm making lotsa dough! Also, shipping from Houston (with travel and all to LA) is going to be about $1500. Add in that the Cooper takes premium gas and Hawaii sales tax is about half what is here, I'm thinking if I got a cheaper car and set it up on a 48 month loan, it would actually work out for the better.

I may be moving without a job lined up, (don't worry, I'm saving up 6 mos. of bills/cash and I have friends to crash with!) just depends on if I can land one before I go. Therefore I want the least amount of bills while I am without paycheck. I've actually found quite a few jobs in the past month that are in my area, so I don't think i'll have that big of a problem finding something. I just don't know if I can snag one before I get there since I'm on the mainland... I've had 2 interviews so far. Of course, if I got a job, I'd move sooner. Anyway, as far as transportation goes, I figured I can just a get a monthly bus pass to tide me over till I find a job and then get another car. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea? Would I lose more money doing this or is it better to just bring my car? I've heard that used cars especially can be a great deal since people have to move and want to get rid of them...

Anyway, I am definately making this move next year, I'm just trying to get started on figuring out the big things I need to do. I've already taken care of my cat by doing the pre-120 day test and microchip thing, so we'll be able to go on the same flight and i'll be able to pick him up at the airport when I arrive

Mahalo and Aloha!

Last edited by mrman78; 08-06-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM

30 posts, read 88,703 times
Which island are you moving to? If moving to Hilo, because of the large amount of rain and sea air cars get rusty. Otherplaces, though not as rainy as Hilo still have the sea air, humidity and cars do rust there. So, I think that unless you are going to buy a new car or one that is about 1 year old, I recommend bringing your car. However, consider where you will be living. In the city or in the country. So for example,even though I think the mini cooper is really cute (I am not fond of small cars) if you are out in the country, I recommend something with clearance because of red cinder, dirt, mud and mini rivers (especially on Hilo side.) I had an Xterra and lived in Puna and always would have lots of dirt, mud on the car.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM

23 posts, read 157,978 times
I see tons of Mini Coopers here on the west side of Hawaii Island. There is also the BMW/Mini dealership here in Kailua-Kona so service is easy. It can be more expensive to buy cars here so you just have to weigh the cost of shipping vs costs of replacement. We shipped our BMW because it was fairly new. low miles and paid for.

It can be somewhat difficult to get a job here from off island unless you are a professional being recruited for something that is needed here (like Pharmacists). Imagine that many people have dreams of living life here and apply for jobs. I think a lot of HR people don't take off island applicants very seriously. And as there are many people on island that need work they would probably give preference to qualified applicants that are already here.

Good luck with everything and Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: