Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, God is calling you to Hawaii for ministry 5 9.09%
No, God is not calling you to Hawaii for ministry 30 54.55%
I'm not sure 2 3.64%
I don't believe in a god 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2011, 02:21 AM

22 posts, read 57,526 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to do here. Approximately 2 years ago I began to feel God placing a desire in my heart for Hawaii and specifically the people of Hawaii, and I'm not just talking about native Hawaiians, I mean all the people there. I know some will and have already been skeptical about this. Any time I tell someone that I feel like God is calling me to some kind of ministry in Hawaii the first response I get is usually "yeah right" or "yeah God's calling me there too". I mean who wouldn't want to move to and live in Hawaii, it seems like 90% of the posts on the site is about people wanting to move to Hawaii. And some of them even state that they've fallen in love with the island or feel drawn to it. So why do I think my calling is any different than their's? Here's a few reasons:

1. I don't really want to live there. I don't want to upset anybody with this statement, there's nothing wrong with Hawaii, I actually do love visiting. When I daydream about living there it seems great but when I actually think realistically about what it would mean to live there it's totally different. It's a long long ways from home. It's a completely different atmosphere, culture and lifestyle than we're used to. But mostly, this is what I hate to think about, we would be taking our family and kids away from their grandparents, cousins and everything they know.
2. Since I started feeling this way about 2 years ago whenever I would think about Hawaii I didn't picture palm trees, beaches, the ocean or anything like that. I would just see people and in the past couple months most of the time when I think about it I've been picturing homeless people, people struggling to make it and worried about what their going to do next. I don't do this intentionally, it's just what pops into my mind. Also, this is a little weird, anytime I see someone who looks like they are from Polynesian descent it's like my heart jumps and I just want to go over to them and talk to them and tell them God loves them and He wants to have a relationship with them.
3. The more time I spend with God and in His word the stronger this feeling becomes, the less time I spend it will start to draft but never goes away completely. Sometimes when I'm really seeking Him the feeling gets so strong I think I could quote Jeremiah 20:9 "his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot." and I just feel like I have to get over there and love on the people and serve them and tell them there is a God that loves them and died to save them.
4. I don't feel this way about any other place I've ever visited, tropical or not. The only place that comes close is Dallas Texas. I love Dallas, when me and my wife got married we moved down to Dallas the same day to start our life together. Dallas has a special place in my heart because of that. I miss Dallas a lot but the feelings I have about Dallas aren't the same as Hawaii. Even all the tropical places I've visited don't compare with Hawaii.

There are a few more reasons but I'm getting tired of typing. I have tried to not necessarily ignore this but just forget about it and see if it comes back. I've tried this a few times and it constantly does. I've also tried to forget about it and just concentrate on my career and settling down but it always pops back up. So why am I posting this? I think maybe an attempt to make some contacts with like minded people, see if anybody else feels this way and I guess get some more direction. Maybe God will open up doors through this post or maybe shut them all and I can finally forget about it and concentrate on other things.
I don't believe God is calling me to be a missionary to Hawaii but I'm not sure how else to describe it. I believe God is calling me to serve and love on the people there, my neighbors and coworkers and the people I run into at the grocery store or shopping center. Tell them the good news of Jesus Christ and how He came to earth to live a sinless life and gave His life to give us life eternal and a relationship with God. And this good news is for anyone that will listen.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 AM

53 posts, read 135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.cooper.dc View Post
2. Since I started feeling this way about 2 years ago whenever I would think about Hawaii I didn't picture palm trees, beaches, the ocean or anything like that. I would just see people and in the past couple months most of the time when I think about it I've been picturing homeless people, people struggling to make it and worried about what their going to do next. I don't do this intentionally, it's just what pops into my mind. Also, this is a little weird, anytime I see someone who looks like they are from Polynesian descent it's like my heart jumps and I just want to go over to them and talk to them and tell them God loves them and He wants to have a relationship with them.
My sarcastic response is, can't you find some brown homeless people right where you live now to be nice to?

However you seem a sincere sort so I will reword it: if you feel called to reach out to homeless people you can get into training for it RIGHT NOW with homeless people where you live. It's like when people post here who want to go to Hawaii and live off the fruits of their own gardens and get back to the land and you ask them and they have never planted anything in their life. If you want to uproot your family and move somewhere to do any kind of work you should be well versed in doing that work already. You don't want to have to adjust to the THE WORK itself as well as the new place and the family adjustments.

Be the person now, where you live today, that you picture yourself being in Hawaii. Be that person for a few years and see how you feel about it.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 AM

22 posts, read 57,526 times
Ha, yes that is true. I do try to live that way now, but the homeless concern is fairly new so I haven't done anything ministry-wise with that. But I know God is preparing me for it, whether it's Hawaii or not, He's preparing me for something. Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,130,612 times
There are many, many, MANY Religions here with people who make it part of their lives to reach out to the homeless population (wether or not they are of Polynesian descent).

If you feel drawn here and wish to help then of course, you are welcome but please note that Native Hawaiians are truly NOT that fond of peoples that call themselves 'Missionaries' as we have a very long and painful relationship with Missionaries.

I am trying very hard not to lash out at you because you obviously feel deeply about helping others. As has been pointed out there are OTHER Americans that you could help right where you are; even though they may not be 'exotic' enough for you.

You have stated that you would feel alienated from your family and feel far away from everything you know and love. This may actually cause you to begin to hate and despise those that you originally wanted to help.

Your relationship with God is yours, help care for those in need but please do not cram your beliefs upon those in need. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 AM

896 posts, read 1,477,937 times
Ignore the naysayers. I understand God calling you to Hawaii.

He once asked me to buy a Corvette and minister to 25 yr old blondes in it.

Last edited by HonestOne1; 02-08-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times
Check post at:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/17778229-post118.html

Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Ignore the naysayers. I understand God calling you to Hawaii.

He once asked me to buy a Corvette and minister to 25 yr old blondes in it.
You Da Man!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,466 times
No one can tell to move or not to move, but in preperation for the attitude that may be geared towards people who call themselves missionaries or anything similar, you should research and read some about the history of this in the islands. It played a large part in the delapidation of the islands both culturally and environmentally. I do understand that missionaries today are different from back then, but it all comes from the same stew pot. It's VERY different there than it will be anywhere you have been on the mainland. In order to respect the islands, i urge you to learn the history of what religion has done simply for your own education and information.

and no bringing small pocks or measles. ;P

Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM

246 posts, read 650,845 times
Do It! Doesn't your religion require you to have complete unwavering blind faith? By "thinking" and "polling" and asking for suggestions, that indicates your faith is not pure. Pack up the family and move right away, shouldn't your GOD provide everything if you are a true and pure believer? If you don't make the move right away, that indicates your beilefs are not true. Therefore, if you are not a true believer, then you have no faith, and that should make you are a sinner!!!!!

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 02-08-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,060 times
It seems bizarre to me that it's still "OK" to call yourself a missionary. Maybe it's because I'm from the Caribbean and have spent most of my life in Texas, but to me a missionary is a white man who comes to your land, enslaves you in the name of God, and spreads disease. I was seriously surprised when I was in high school and first heard an evangelical talk about becoming a missionary.

It sounds like Hawaiians feel the same way.

No one with any sense of self awareness would refer to themselves as "crusaders" or "jihadis" or "plantation masters", so why isn't anybody embarrassed to call themselves "missionaries"?

Hawaii doesn't need religion. People are already very religious here. They need jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii