Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 19,290 times

Advertisements

I should be moving to Pennsylvania in late Dec/early Jan. I am going to Penn State Harrisburg campus in the spring and I have never been to PA before so after doing research online I have become very confused about what areas to live in.
Since I am young (23) African American women, I am looking for an area that is

1. Safe

2. Somewhat hip having things to do

3. Culturally diverse a place I feel comfortable and welcomed not racist, seeing people that look like me and other groups

4. Place where people are friendly, close to my age, so I can meet people b/c I will not know anyone when I move there

5. Not too expensive 500-800 rent

Also I was thinking about living in Philly and commuting to Harrisburg since I have class only three days out the week from 6:15 – 9:15pm and have found some good part time jobs I am interested in applying to in Philly, that I have not seen in the Harrisburg area, Is commuting realistic I know it is a 90 min commute (train) should I just look for places in the Harrisburg area.

If I do live in Harrisburg what should I expect?

If you think it would be possible for me to commute what areas should I look to live in Philly? (because honestly I would prefer to live in Philly) With the above mentioned five criteria?

I am not a chicken little and don’t get scared by poverty etc never been sheltered so I understand crime etc is everywhere and can pretty much adapt to all surroundings but do want to feel comfortable… Nothing to crazy...

Also I am going to Penn state Harrisburg which is where my grad program is located...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,621,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1242 View Post
I should be moving to Pennsylvania in late Dec/early Jan. I am going to Penn State Harrisburg campus in the spring and I have never been to PA before so after doing research online I have become very confused about what areas to live in.
Since I am young (23) African American women, I am looking for an area that is

1. Safe

2. Somewhat hip having things to do

3. Culturally diverse a place I feel comfortable and welcomed not racist, seeing people that look like me and other groups

4. Place where people are friendly, close to my age, so I can meet people b/c I will not know anyone when I move there

5. Not too expensive 500-800 rent

Also I was thinking about living in Philly and commuting to Harrisburg since I have class only three days out the week from 6:15 – 9:15pm and have found some good part time jobs I am interested in applying to in Philly, that I have not seen in the Harrisburg area, Is commuting realistic I know it is a 90 min commute (train) should I just look for places in the Harrisburg area.

If I do live in Harrisburg what should I expect?

If you think it would be possible for me to commute what areas should I look to live in Philly? (because honestly I would prefer to live in Philly) With the above mentioned five criteria?

I am not a chicken little and don’t get scared by poverty etc never been sheltered so I understand crime etc is everywhere and can pretty much adapt to all surroundings but do want to feel comfortable… Nothing to crazy...

Also I am going to Penn state Harrisburg which is where my grad program is located...
Hello, I'm a 24 year old student living in Harrisburg and most likely going to grad school in Philly next year.

Penn State Harrisburg is, unfortunately, in a suburban part of the area. It's a suburban campus right outside of the borough (borough is Pennsylvania's name for an incorporated municipality such as a town) of Middletown. Most of the students either live on campus or in Middletown, which is a pretty cheap place to live. You would have no problem finding cheap rent there. However, in terms of culture and nightlife -- there is none in Middletown.

Therefore I would recommend living in Harrisburg. I live in the city's Midtown section, which is a mostly gentrified area with several coffeehouses, cafes, bookshops and an independent cinema. Again, you will be able to find that rent in this area no problem. Two caveats to living in Harrisburg: You're probably going to need a car to get to Penn State. There is public transit (bus) there, but it's not very frequent and if you are taking evening classes it may be difficult. Amtrak runs from downtown Harrisburg to Middletown but it's a bit of a hike from the Middletown station to the campus. Also, be aware there is a racial divide in this town. The African-Americans generally have their own neighborhoods as do the whites. Midtown is an exception, where it's very racially mixed. Honestly, Philly is the same way -- with just a lot more mixing going on in neighborhoods like University City, South Philly etc.

Philly or Harrisburg and you are going to have to deal with the same types of crime. Mostly nuisance and car break-in type stuff, but nothing too major as long as you pick a decent neighborhood. In terms of Harrisburg, as I said before, I'd stick to Midtown or Downtown.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area