Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 PM

60 posts, read 53,399 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a home but apparently the radon levels were high. I've heard the radon levels are high in Pennsylvania or in York? We are looking in northeast York. Can anyone provide some insight on this? We currently live in Btimore but I am wine worried about making the move with my family to York county.

Opinions or advise please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 01:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,905 times
Yes, it is prevalent here. You need a mitigation system. Usually the seller needs to install it.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:32 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,646,822 times
This is absolutely normal. Like toobirdies said, they usually install some kind of radon system that vents the radon outside of the home.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 AM

746 posts, read 1,250,790 times
Had a guy come by and he and his team laid more plastic down this time sealing around all the cinder blocks and inserted a flat air evacuation system under the plastic which connected to a fan outside and is vented out above the roof. He charged me about $2000 for the job.

I went from 24 on the radon meter to 1.4, I can set my humidity in the crawlspace to whatever I want (typically 50%) without excessive crawlspace heat. The house now has no musty odors and is very comfortable.

Good luck in your situation.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Thanks everyone. The seller is installing it so closing got pushed back a little. I'm still a bit worried especially since we have young kids. Where is this system usually installed? How do I know if it's on or working? Does it need maintenance? I'm also thinking abt family moving to the area with renting an apartment. Should I worry about them there? Northeast York

Old 05-06-2017, 11:07 AM

16,185 posts, read 32,712,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestteach View Post
Thanks everyone. The seller is installing it so closing got pushed back a little. I'm still a bit worried especially since we have young kids. Where is this system usually installed? How do I know if it's on or working? Does it need maintenance? I'm also thinking abt family moving to the area with renting an apartment. Should I worry about them there? Northeast York
Oh my goodness, bless your heart. Please read this on radon. Do you really think an apartment is going to be exempt from radon where a house wouldn't? Radon is from the ground, not the building (apartment vs house). This is normal, especially in the area.

Once the mitigation system is installed the levels can be tested again and checked. Also, my interpretation of radon is that it is emitted from the ground. So, consider if you are going to have a basement in your new home. If so, will there be a bedroom in that basement or will there be a lot of time in the basement? Or will the bedrooms be on the top floor of the house? Where people spend a lot of time is important.

Systems are usually installed in basements with vents in attics. As far as maintenance that depends on the unit but there is normally very little to no maintenance. Again, this will depends on the house - I am not a radon expert, just know about them from personal and professional experience.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,338,493 times
Quote:
The way you know it's working is to test again. DIY radon test kits are not the expensive and from what I've read, radon is one of the easier air quality problems to mitigate.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:32 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,987,146 times
The system will work, if you're nervous about it, have it tested every 6 months (easy test). Contact the installer if you have questions about maintenance (this information should be provided to you at closing, make sure your realtor gets it from the seller). In the 23 years that we lived in our home in Central PA we were always below .4 with the mitigation system and the fan quit working 1 x and had to be replaced.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:03 PM

What can I say to my family that might move to PA? Is there any area of York that is safer? Can an apartment bed tested?

Old 05-24-2017, 04:01 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,338,493 times
Quote:
What can I say to my family that might move to PA? Is there any area of York that is safer? Can an apartment bed tested?
Any home can have high radon levels - even homes in low radon areas. I understand your worry. I worry a huge amount about health issues and looking for a home has been challenging for me. Radon is an easy to fix problem, though. I'd find something else to worry about! Are you still looking at this home or just asking in general now? Most homes have some problems. You're lucky if the only problem here is an easy to fix one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area