Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,327 times

Advertisements

Hello All, Jobs are getting better but are still hard to find. I am considering a job with the State of Pa at the government agency DOR. Right now, I do not have all the details, for example, where is the government agency DOR located? I am looking for information regarding rentals, transportation, etc... Help me with any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,928,038 times
Hi and welcome! Please see the sticky post titled "Help for new posters". That will help us give you better information.

I'm not sure where the Department of Revenue is located, but most state employees work in downtown Harrisburg.

Have you already been hired by DOR?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,811,683 times
When I knew someone who worked there (car-free, walked from Penbrook every day) it was in Strawberry Square.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:44 AM

941 posts, read 1,807,037 times
Default is North St. in Harrisburg a not good section?

We like older houses.. is North st. safe.. or RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
We like older houses.. is North st. safe.. or RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!
It depends on which segment you're referring to. North St east of Cameron St is near what is arguably the worst part of Harrisburg in terms of crime. I would recommend avoiding that segment.

North Street downtown (between Front & Third) is an entirely different story. The area has seen a bump in crime over the last few years, but that was (in my opinion) attributable to a bar in the area that has since shut down. I would definitely consider the area safe.

Bear in mind that any form of city or suburban living requires a degree of situational awareness and a healthy dose of common sense. Don't leave your laptop or iPod laying out in plain sight in your car, don't leave your front door unlocked when you go out, that sort of thing.

Most of the crime in downtown Harrisburg is drunken nuisance acts. North Street is somewhat removed from that crowd, so the impact will be minimal. You should still expect to hear some occasional late-night revelers walking loudly back to their apartment or townhouse on weekends, but that's about it.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 AM

941 posts, read 1,807,037 times
Default how about this one?

2043 Chestnut Street, Harrisburg PA | MLS# 10214467 - Trulia

Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 AM

I would be very cautious around that area.

One of Harrisburg's biggest areas for crime is Allison Hill. I don't know the exact geographic boundaries of the area, but it's roughly the area between Cameron & 20th, from I-83 to Market St. Naturally there are no hard lines of where the problems stop, but that gives you a very rough idea of what many consider the worst part of town.

The home you listed is a little too close to that area for my tastes. It's a shame, because crime aside, that's a beautiful part of town. It actually used to be home to the upper-upper echelons of society, but that's another thread.

If you're looking for value in an older home, consider the areas around midtown. That's roughly all points north of Forster St between Front & Fourth. Once you go north of Reily or east of Fourth, you're going to run into a few rough spots here and there. It's also worth noting that some major developments are underway near Third & Verbeke, Sixth & Reily, and Third & Muench.

Most of the areas east of 30th St are also decent. You'll find a lot of older homes in working-class neighborhoods there.

Finally, you should be aware that the city of Harrisburg is in bad financial shape right now. The city is out of money and a state takeover is imminent. Nobody is entirely clear on what the impact on the city will be, but it can range anywhere from deep cuts to police / fire to skyrocketing water / trash rates. Steep tax hikes and plummeting land values are likely. Harrisburg isn't a bad city, but I would definitely not recommend buying real estate in the city right now, especially if you don't plan to hold the property for 20-30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area