Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 08:24 PM

296 posts, read 640,493 times

Advertisements

wondering what people think of harrisburg. nervous about what i read. i love being outside hiking, fishing ect. is it safe for a woman and kids to walk around? are the middle and high schools good? ate at a pizza place downtown and it was awesome stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,937,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
wondering what people think of harrisburg. nervous about what i read. i love being outside hiking, fishing ect. is it safe for a woman and kids to walk around? are the middle and high schools good? ate at a pizza place downtown and it was awesome stuff!
Like any other city, Harrisburg has its good spots and bad spots. How safe you are depends on where you are and how comfortable you are in an urban environment. There are suburbanites who are terrified by the prospect of getting pizza downtown, and there are those of us who don't think twice about exploring the back alleys of midtown. So on the whole, I'd say the city is "safe" -- but there are areas that you might want to avoid until you become more familiar with the city.

As a general rule of thumb, if you are southeast of Reily St and southwest of Cameron St, you'll be fine. I've also heard people say that if you can see the capitol dome or the river, you're fine. Unfortunately, these guidelines cut out many interesting and perfectly safe neighborhoods. They will, however, give you a very rough set of boundaries to what's generally considered the "safer" parts of downtown / midtown.

Susquehanna Township and Lower Paxton Township are two major suburban areas here that have Harrisburg mailing addresses, but have their own local government, schools, and police departments. Both of these give you a lot of the benefits of city living without some of the shadier areas of town. I personally think Susquehanna Township is the better of the two.

Harrisburg's city schools are terrible.

I know nothing about the local fishing holes, but apparently there's plenty to be had on the islands of the Susquehanna (though many of them are privately owned). Harrisburg has a large walking loop around the city called the Capital Area Greenbelt. If you want "real" hiking, the Appalachian Trail passes just north of the area. There are also many state parks containing trails of varying difficulty within a 30-45-minute drive, to say nothing of the surrounding mountains.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM

296 posts, read 640,493 times
thank you for answering. we visited once when some Dali paintings were at a museum there. hard time finding a parking space but it was nice out so a walk was welcome. we have a choice of a town in maryland or harrisburg area. both are about the same distance wise to new york. way different in home prices.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,854,165 times
Those who like suburbs better than urbs and facing moving to the Harrisburg metro typically look first to the so-called "West Shore" area, which is an initially bewildering array of small municipalities mostly in Cumberland County (spilling over into northern York and, to some people, Marysville in Perry, counties). All are safe to walk around in, schools vary.

Here's an organization of 500 hikers in the area: SATC-Hike.org - The Online Susquehanna Appalachian Trail Club

Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM

10,237 posts, read 16,904,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
thank you for answering. we visited once when some Dali paintings were at a museum there. hard time finding a parking space but it was nice out so a walk was welcome. we have a choice of a town in maryland or harrisburg area. both are about the same distance wise to new york. way different in home prices.
fwiw harrisburg has train service (amtrak's keystone service) to ny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area