Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,543 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to the area at the end of Summer. I will be getting a position at one of the clinics associated with Tidewater Physical therapy - they have positions all over the Southeast. We are moving to VA from WI for a little warmer weather and to experience something new before starting a family. Our intention at this point is for the move to be temporary and then to move back to WI if we are to have kids. We are looking for easy access to a mid-sized city with trendy restaurants and plenty of things to do - we enjoy the outdoors - hiking/biking. My fiance is a nurse in the emergency dept so we would need near access to a hospital for her to work. What would be the recommendation for a nice neighborhood but decent access to the aforementioned activities? I'm open to almost any place in the Richmond, Newport News, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake areas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM

371 posts, read 1,193,275 times
Sounds like Newport News might fit the bill for both of you. I have been to the Tidewater Physical Therapy there in Oyster Point. It is a nice location and I liked the people that worked there. Oyster Point is a nice area. It has a town point center with a lot of restaurants, apts. condos, etc. Riverside Hospital is close by as are several other hospitals.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,472,507 times
I'd recommend Chesapeake. Chesapeake General Hospital is nice.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Chesapeake eh?

Thanks Erma - are there specific areas of Chesapeake you like best?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 AM

92 posts, read 291,589 times
There are quite a few nice places to live very close to Chesapeake Gen Hosp..one being Knells Ridge. Plenty of nice complexes and townhouse places all along the Battlefield Blvd area within 4-5 miles of the hospital.

Message me here if you'd like more info. Im very familiar with the area, I live around the corner from the hospital and can point you to more specific places!

Wendy

Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Default if you had a choice...

Where would you choose to live in the Hampton Roads area if you were in my spot?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,472,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by run110480 View Post
Where would you choose to live in the Hampton Roads area if you were in my spot?
Chesapeake....reason, you are in the medical field. My BH is as well. We chose to live where we live because of his commute to the hospital on a moments notice and long hours. My office is in Chesapeake and I enjoy the area when I can get out for lunch to pick up things and run errands so I don't have to deal with it after work. I find that the area around Chesapeake General is very nice and is getting better every year. I've worked out there for almost 9 years.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM

520 posts, read 1,629,552 times
What about Raleigh? No access to beaches, and it's a bit warmer. But the cost of housing is less, and there less brainwashed religious people. More college kids. I think most young people flee Hampton Roads.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,064,614 times
Williamsburg! Tidewater Physical Therapy has two locations in the Williamsburg area (Williamsburg Physical Therapy and Norge Physical Therapy). Plus, there is only one hospital in Williamsburg so if you lived there, your fiance's commute would be next to nothing! All the traffic is in Newport News, Richmond, Va Beach! Williamsburg~ but I am bias since I did live there for 7 years!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM

161 posts, read 685,861 times
Personally, I think Ghent in Norfolk has a high amount of trendy shops.

You'll notice that you'll be driving to various cities for different things. My advice is to find residence near the hospital but expect to travel for other activities. Nothing is really all that "central," at least in my opinion.

Ches Gen is a nice hospital though. Probably the nicest of the area that I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area