Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 AM

40 posts, read 132,787 times

Advertisements

Any comments or thoughts on the area. Commute is not an issue for us.

Schools? Neighborhood feel. Amenities. Construction quality. Etc, etc.

Anything you say will be more info than I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 AM

40 posts, read 132,787 times
Bump - no one has any info on this?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM

140 posts, read 541,623 times
Eagle Harbour is in a nice location, very convenient to both the Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News, etc) and the Southside (Suffolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, etc) yet in a somewhat rural location. One big draw for that area is that taxes are much less than the surrounding bigger cities ($0.52/$100!) Amenities include a beautiful pool, small putting area, paddle boats, ball field, "lake". I have some clients that recently moved there and they have been pleased with the schools (have middle school aged children).
You may want to check out the Va Dept of Education to see for yourself:

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

There are a half dozen or so different builders in there and homes vary from standard to custom built. In the recent past there have been some very good re-sale purchase opportunities.

Taking a quick look in the MLS, there are currently 25 single family homes and 16 condos available, including a few foreclosures. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 8,473 times
Just was there. My husband is being transferred to the area this summer. Went in April to look at the area...I am currently in contract on a house in Eagle Harbor (short sale)..I was impressed with neighborhood. Beautiful homes, great amenities center. Homes have come down in price and you can get a good deal. From what I can tell you get a great deal on existing house..not a great deal if you build one. Smithfield/Carrollton have nice neighborhoods and give you that small town feel. I was there for 4 days and was pleased with the area. Aspen Woods was another neighborhood that was nice...more land comes with the house....you do not have pool though....Gatling Pointe is another great neighborhood...you have pool in that neighborhood...very, very, very high end homes. Wellington Place was another great new construction neighborhood that had a lot of great homes...no pool though. It was a great neighborhood though...homes start in the $350,000 range I think....there were several for sale that were resale...hope this helps.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 AM

61 posts, read 155,777 times
I have heard good things about housing quality and taxes in this area, but I haven't heard good things about the schools. It probably depends on what you are looking for though. You might call the school and ask for a PTA parent contact number and talk to them. I have done this when moving, and it gives you a feel for the school that can't be gained from raw data/test scores. (There are still a few days of school left in most areas).

Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,473 times
I have two kids...one going into 5th grade and another 8th grade. We are moving the Smithfield area and I was concerend about schools. I have spent a lot of time talking to the principal of the elementary school and middle school.....the guidance counselors and have been very, very impressed with their help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area