Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM

211 posts, read 816,882 times

Advertisements

If you are Black and identify culturally with the black experience (whatever that may entail) then going to an HBCU may be for you. And given the choice between Norfolk State and Hampton University, clearly Hampton U. wins hands down.

If you aspire to something greater than your cultural niche or upbringing, then you should expand your horizons.

William and Mary is the class of the crop here. Good luck getting in if your G.P.A isn't up to snuff. Plus the professors there aren't keen on "grade inflation" which means that while you might earn an A at other colleges, good luck getting a B- at W&M for the same work.

ODU would be the next choice, as it was the Norfolk division of William and Mary back in the 1930's. Good campus, but it is adjacent to a dodgy part of town which is still undergoing "gentrification", so be very aware of your surroundings.

CNU was a community college not to long ago. So that's really all you need to know about that, except that it has a reputation also as an old-boys college as well.

Regent University is private, and Christian. It is also expensive. But if you are looking to go to Law School and get a J.D., it is your best shot. Don't overlook this school if that is your goal. The networking that you can make there will serve you well if you want to go far in law and politics in Virginia, and also in conservative circles nationwide. (Yeah, I know W&M's law school is much better, but I'm talking about real world scenarios of actually getting in....)

Don't know much about Virginia Wesleyan, so I really can't comment further.

So my list would be like this:

William and Mary
Old Dominion
Regent
Christopher Newport
Hampton
Norfolk State
Virginia Wesleyan

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 AM

10 posts, read 20,706 times
Hampton U is not really that bad. I think it has issues because like every other HBCU it is understaffed to meet the needs of its students. Between ODU and Hampton, it really depends on what you are looking for. A "black experience" can be had at ODU just the same as it can at Hampton. The plus to ODU is that it is MUCH cheaper!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 AM

211 posts, read 816,882 times
Much cheaper, indeed! Of course, some folks also look for colleges that are known nationally, as opposed to regionally. And that usually has something to do with NCAA sports. Since ODU just got their football team back after 50 years or so, maybe it'll become known for something other than being the girls' basketball school, given the success of the Lady Monarchs.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,945 times
i got into norfolk state university and hampton university and im having trouble picking between the two can someone help please thank you!!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 AM

40 posts, read 132,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
ODU is either the second or first best school in the area, depending on what you are ranking.

Hampton is about last in almost every category.

Uhh.. in what way is ODU better than W&M? I'd say that W&M is better in every category you can rank a that college in.

Outside of Hampton Roads no one has heard of ODU, W&M is nationally ranked.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite_921003 View Post
i got into norfolk state university and hampton university and im having trouble picking between the two can someone help please thank you!!!!
Outside of cost, no contest, Hampton U. Norfolk St. was known as the ghetto school among some of my black teachers at my HS in Northern VA.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
So my list would be like this:

William and Mary
Old Dominion
Regent
Christopher Newport
Hampton
Norfolk State
Virginia Wesleyan
That's a pretty solid list. I think you have it nailed. Rep to you!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Outside of cost, no contest, Hampton U. Norfolk St. was known as the ghetto school among some of my black teachers at my HS in Northern VA.

I agree it sits in a bad area. I know people who go there who call it the ghetto school. Also it's not competitive as far as admissions. If those were my only 2 choices I'd pick HU.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneandlauren07 View Post
Uhh.. in what way is ODU better than W&M? I'd say that W&M is better in every category you can rank a that college in.

Outside of Hampton Roads no one has heard of ODU, W&M is nationally ranked.

I've heard ODU has a nationally rated engineering program.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,945 times
from what i heard is that the people who attend hampton are stuck up and they have no fun is this true????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area