Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times

Advertisements

Back in the day our white friend had to go to IC Norcom from Churchland to attend a higher level German class. Go figure. Anyways, the day the Rodney King stuff went down (or was it OJ) he got chased through the halls but no one ever beat on him. I'm sure they were just clowning but he said it was a bit scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
i am a department of defense employee, i am moving from germany and will be assigned to norfolk naval base, i have my eye on a house on acres road in the portsmouth area, i have been checking out the area through google earth, from what i can tell, its in the areas that have been discussed in this forum as relevance to safe, have a chosen a good area? my 6yrs. old will be attending the churchland elementary school, is there any additional information i should know about this area????

Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 AM

134 posts, read 544,911 times
That is a nice neighborhood for a family.

The Churchland schools are the better ones in Portsmouth but the best of the worst in reality.

Also you will have to deal with tunnel traffic daily if you are commuting to Norfolk Naval from Portsmouth.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,517 times
where would you suggest to move with children. we are looking at a job at the naval base. We have a family. we homeschool so I am not too concerned with school districts, just a safe place. Also is there any Church of God churches in the area

Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
I'm a native of Portsmouth and now live in Norfolk. Portsmouth's schools are *abysmal* and among the worst in the country, however...

Portsmouth has enclaves of DELIGHTFUL neighborhoods, and there are places in Churchland where it's like stepping back in time to the 1950s. You want crackheads and whores and welfare queens - I think Norfolk has Portsmouth beat on that score - easy.

Norfolk is rough.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,910 times
Portsmouth is a very crooked city from the Mayor on down to the trash collectors.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,910 times
runawy live another day

Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM

94 posts, read 274,408 times
I live in the Merrifields section of Churchland, in Portsmouth. It's a GREAT neighborhood
I'm not sure which bridge you're referring to. I work in Newport News and I cross the river via the Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel. I leave home, get on 164, go to 664 and I'm there! It's probably the nicest tunnel in the area as far as traffic goes.
I can also get to work via the James River Bridge - it's a draw bridge, so there's no tunnel. It can be congested at rush hour, but otherwise is fine.
To go to Norfolk, the most convenient route for me is the Midtown tunnel. I leave my neighborhood, jump on 164 and go straight to it. But you can also go via the Downtown tunnel.
Or if you don't want to go through a tunnel you can take 664 to 64 and go roundabout through Chesapeake.
It all depends on where you want to go.
But this area is very convenient to everywhere in Hampton Roads!
If you're looking for a house, I'm selling It's a job relocation for my husband, otherwise we'd never leave this house, we love it so much! It's a great house for kids, 3 bedrooms and a finished room over the garage (frog) - extra bedroom, kids playroom, office...
And this area is very convenient to the Military bases.
My husband was the crime analyst for Portsmouth and I can assure you, this area is one of the safest around.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
I live in portsmouth. Right off GW highway in a "neighborhood" in between the clubs Final Frontier, and Maddog's and Hotseat. Crime? last night i drove up to the 7/11 about 2 seconds down GW to get cigarettes for my mother. i noticed a man pacing back and forth in the street. as i came out, i got into my can and proceeded to leave as this man steps in front of my car with his head down, staring at me, shaking his head back and forth as if saying "no". so i say hell with it and drive off. didnt want to interact as i was alone. people have tried to rob me on the streets. i have a licensed gun and i will pull it out if i feel threatened. my good friend who is a navy vet, has been jumped several times and my grandmother has felt threatened. we all live in this nice, crime free neighborhood. but yes, sadly there are thieves, crackheads, bars, strip joints, and other drug heads that roam the area. im white and it makes me thankful i graduated from a richmond city school

Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 AM

13 posts, read 18,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds298 View Post
I live in portsmouth. Right off GW highway in a "neighborhood" in between the clubs Final Frontier, and Maddog's and Hotseat. Crime? last night i drove up to the 7/11 about 2 seconds down GW to get cigarettes for my mother. i noticed a man pacing back and forth in the street. as i came out, i got into my can and proceeded to leave as this man steps in front of my car with his head down, staring at me, shaking his head back and forth as if saying "no". so i say hell with it and drive off. didnt want to interact as i was alone. people have tried to rob me on the streets. i have a licensed gun and i will pull it out if i feel threatened. my good friend who is a navy vet, has been jumped several times and my grandmother has felt threatened. we all live in this nice, crime free neighborhood. but yes, sadly there are thieves, crackheads, bars, strip joints, and other drug heads that roam the area. im white and it makes me thankful i graduated from a richmond city school
City data says the US average crime rate is 319.2; Portsmouth is over 500 (higher means more crime!). Your experiences there backs that up. I knew a couple who bought in the 'revitalized' area. The neighborhood was nice, lovely houses, good people. All around that nice pocket were the worst kind of lowlifes and they had nothing better to do than cause trouble in the nice neighborhoods. If you still decide to move to Portsmouth, I recommend a home security system, a couple of big dogs, motion lighting, and don't get caught out anywhere at night. Private school for the kids as well. Better to live in pay a bit more to live in Chesapeake and commute to Portsmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area