Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,020 times

Advertisements

I have a ton of questions. First off I would like to know how approx how long is the waiting list for a four bedroom is? I am not at all interested in any military housing in the Norfolk area. Also do I have to be present to apply for housing or can I send in application like the Lincoln website says? What areas should I stay out of besides Norfolk? I have four children and three of them are school aged. My hubby is going to Sea Duty and we still have a choice between him going for orders in Washington or Virginia. Just trying to figure out which one has less of a waiting list with military housing, better for family, less crime, ect. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,974 times
Well Va Beach has some of the best schools in the country. I live in the Thalia/Lynn Shores Area of Va Beach, and you could not do to much better in terms of safety, housing and location. Thanks for the sacrifices your family make for me and mine! I hope you choose Va Beach.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 63,023 times
We were a military family until just a few years ago, CA then TX then VA. My husband and I drove out here the summer before we moved, to check it out and I am glad we did. We were in the area of navy housing right outside the Norfolk base, it was about 8:00 pm in the evening. We wanted to see what it was like when it was closer to dark. We saw two police officers in the parking lot of a complex (private apts, not military) accross the way and approached them. We told them that my husband was getting stationed here and we were considering moving in the area (its certainly was cheaper than VB or Chesapeake). He asked if we had children, we told them yes, one in elementary and one in middle school, soon going to high school at the time. One of the officers just responded with a nod of the head, as if to say "no." He said Virginia Beach or Chesapeake. That was it, and that was all we needed. This was in 2005. We live in the Great Neck area of Virginia Beach, very nice, but also very pricey. A house rental can easily go for $1,600 and up. There are Emerald Point apts and Washington Square townhomes, but there are also a lot of people, which comes issues, and depending on where you are located, in the jet flight path. For Virginia Beach I would suggest east of Independence and north of Virginia Beach Blvd. Ocean Lakes, Red Mill, Princess Anne area is good, but more of a commute to get to NOB. So that's why I say north of VB Blvd as your husband can hop on the 264. There seem to be nice areas around south Independence and Kempsville, but I don't know that much about them. I would also suggest Chesapeake, if you look on the map for Chesapeake, find Military Blvd. and stay south of there. In VB, if you can afford something on Shore Drive, a house rental or condo rental, staying east of Independence, that would be a pretty good commute for your husband, taking Shore Dr, which turns into Little Creek, and goes to the base. No freeways. Its difficult when you are moving from out of state and don't know the area but we got a lot of great tips and they were right. I would apply for Little Creek base housing personally due to location, decent area, and they have been remodeling the housing. You are also right next to the base with commissary, exchange, etc. Good luck !

Also, Washington DC or Washington state ? If its Washington state, Bremmerton and Everett and very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area