Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,969,723 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen a noticable increase in crime in their area. I work in Norfolk, and in the past few months I have seen a definite increase in crime, and a general downturn in the look and feel of my area. For example, within 1 mile of where I work, 7 businesses have closed down and are sitting vacant (mostly car dealers), the 7-11 next door was robbed and a week later its door window was kicked out, two of our clients have come in with stories of being mugged when walking around at night and both live within walking distance to our store, a murder happened last weekend and another last night, and recently an SUV was left sitting on blocks after being parked for a few days. That's just the last few months. Within the last year or so, every shop in our building (except us, thankfully) has been robbed by gunpoint. There's also many more homeless walking around and drunks/addicts too. I'm sure our economic state has something to do with it all, but this area of Norfolk seems to be getting hit hard. Anyone else noticed anything like this in other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 PM

520 posts, read 1,636,628 times
I'm seeing the businesses close. Slowly and gradually things are thinning out.

The sad part is I know people looking for office space (friends and myself included) but everyone is greedy, looking for top dollar.

Some people listen to the television and news, and think that it's going to bounce back. The truth is though, I don't think the work output of the American people equals the living standard that they've been marketed that they deserve. So the rude awakening might be coming.

I'm all for productive, new technologies, new things. I just wish the gov't would be honest.

I've been (for a long time) harping on the housing bubble. All of those gains have to be given back, as they weren't based on any real productive output. Just credit and debt, much of it extended to people who won't be able to pay it back. This includes both those that never had the means to pay it back (teaser rate loans), and those that for a brief period were making money off of the housing mania, and believed they would forever make that kind of money. Builders, relators, the financers of the mania, middlemen, all that stuff. I know I've looked in a couple of $700K+ neighborhoods and true to the game found a good number of what appeared to be construction work trucks in the driveways. The housing mania self-fed itself. It was a gross misallocation of money and resources. Had that been invested in new transportation methods that are more energy efficient (high speed maglev versus plane trips, for example) or revamping the medical billing systems.... true progress could have been had.

To me none of this is a surprise. It's been 5 years coming. You can't have housing price increases and wage decreases, it's not healthy. Then all of the other factors.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,262,940 times
Poverty breeds crimes of neccessity. When the economy is bad, you are going to see a spike in crime, especially drug dealing and related crimes, burglarly and theft and their related crimes.

Also, people are generally more on edge, so youd probably see more fights and assaults as well.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM

159 posts, read 534,470 times
I've noticed the increase too! Someone got stabbed the other night in the neighborhood down the street. I still live my everyday life the same, but I am a little more aware of my surroundings.

You know the crime is getting bad when the news makes an effort to inform you that the 3 homicides on Sunday "NOT related, again the homicides were indeed NOT related"

Gotta love Alveeta on channel 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area