Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 13,916 times

Advertisements

I am wondering several things about the area. If my husband is relocated to Smithfield, what are areas with fairly short commute times that are good for families with young children. How long does it take with traffic to travel to Newport News? To Williamsburg? Any other possible suggestions. Are their good preschools in the area? Any other info that would be helpful for moving there would be much appreciated. Are people pretty negotiable on purchasing homes there with the market the way it is right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:47 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
My neighbor here in Williamsburg commutes to Smithfield everyday. It takes a little over an hour if you hit the ferry just right. Newport News is about 20-30 minutes depending on what part of NN you are going to. Most home sellers are very negotiable although there are many who are still unrealistic. There is enough inventory that you can be choosy. There are also plenty of rentals which might be another option. Live in an area and make sure you like it before committing to a purchase. WISC has a good pre school program King of Glory preschool in Williamsburg (http://www.kingofglorywilliamsburg.org/preschool/preschool.html - broken link) is always popular. Minnieland in (http://www.childcarenetwork.net/company-login/school.php?id=181 - broken link)Toano is good.There is normally a waiting list. Our kids are older so I haven't kept up with those options. I will ask around though.
What price range or monthly payment are you considering ? Any further suggestions depend on your price ranges..

Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 13,916 times
We currently live in a nice 240,000 home in another state. It is 2,600 sq ft, 3 bed 2 bath, lots of living space, hardwood in majority of downstairs, 2 car garage, crown moldings. We know we will have to spend more, we just don't want to overextend ourselves either. Is there anyway to stay nice and be around 300,000? Is that realistic. This is still in early stages but we are trying to gather info in case he is relocated. We really don't want a long commute, so I would say Williamsburg is out. I have seen good things on Smithfield on here, I was hoping to be closer to civilization though. Are there nice areas that meet my criteria on the end of Newport News closest to Smithfield or something near Smithfield that we should look into? Thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area