Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Alright, so we're supposed to be a giant tourist metro. Apparently our tourism tax money really helps out the state budget.

So, my only question is: WHY CAN'T THEY FIX THE POTHOLES?!

Sorry, need to vent about this a bit. Technically, it's more of a Virginia State problem... but it's here in Hampton Roads that I deal with it every day.

I swear, my little car is going to get eaten up by the potholes. You can't avoid them, either. There's too many that have grown so rampantly. Just last month, I blew out a tire when I had to go over a pothole. Right along First Colonial, there is a huge pothole that spans across all of the lanes. Literally no way to avoid it. So I braced like I always do... next thing I know, my car jerks to the right and my tire is shredding.

I won't get an alignment for my car. As expensive as one is (much cheaper to just get a Rotation and Balance done) and as quickly as it would be destroyed....

I'm seriously about to send all of my receipts up to Richmond and/or sue for the amount of money that gets spent because those *random explicit insulting word* can't agree on a transportation budget.

Time for me to get off my soap box and go eat some chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
I hear ya on that one, I stay off the interstate as much as possible!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM

328 posts, read 1,540,198 times
Rut Roh.. where is this pothole on First Colonial?? I have a DR. I see out that way 1200 1st Colonial Road And as if some of the drivers aren't bad enough

Old 05-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Rut Roh.. where is this pothole on First Colonial?? I have a DR. I see out that way 1200 1st Colonial Road And as if some of the drivers aren't bad enough
What's a "DR" Bikes?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 PM

328 posts, read 1,540,198 times
From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: Dr
Function: abbreviation doctor
Or, a person skilled or specializing in healing arts; especially : one (as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Last edited by BikesareBetter; 05-28-2008 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM

I meant that on I-264 over by the First Colonial exit. It runs the stretch of the interstate into all lanes. Absolutely atrocious.

And... Erma, are you feeling okay? You might need to see a doctor...

Old 05-29-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I meant that on I-264 over by the First Colonial exit. It runs the stretch of the interstate into all lanes. Absolutely atrocious.

And... Erma, are you feeling okay? You might need to see a doctor...
hahaha....I read it rather quickly.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 PM

1,177 posts, read 459,202 times
ummm...i am getting ready to visit in a few weeks and my son and I have to fly into Richmond and then drive down to williamsburg. i've rented a car. are there potholes on the road on the way there? guess, i just wanted a heads up on as to what kind of precautions to take on the way there. thanks!
PS- we are happy to spend our dollars if it will help fix your roads!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay11 View Post
ummm...i am getting ready to visit in a few weeks and my son and I have to fly into Richmond and then drive down to williamsburg. i've rented a car. are there potholes on the road on the way there? guess, i just wanted a heads up on as to what kind of precautions to take on the way there. thanks!

Naw...I was just up in Newport News yesterday. That's all new up there. Only took em' 10 years to do the interstate...they screwed up the first time and had to redig for drainage.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Naw...I was just up in Newport News yesterday. That's all new up there. Only took em' 10 years to do the interstate...they screwed up the first time and had to redig for drainage.
You mean they've filled all the potholes over by the Newport News Reservoir? ((they were mighty nasty)) Also, about 2 weeks or so ago, they were re-cementing part of 64-East where a pothole collapsed into a car-sized pothole over by the Hampton Roads Center Parkway ramp. Mighty nasty. Caused a massive massive accident when it happened.

Last time I went to the Outlet Mall ((Williamsburg)), the interstate was very bumpy on both sides of the interstate.

mjay11, the interstates around here are mighty gross right now because our "beloved" legislatures never agreed on a transportation budget for 2007 - only emergency maintenance was approved. We're almost into June and there's still not a complete budget put together.

Because of the designs of the interstate plans, Hampton Roads' interstates were not made to handle the extremely large amount of traffic present. In short, too much weight is being put onto the interstates and it's literally destroying the cheap concrete.

Quote:
I've already sent many nasty-grams to our legislatures telling them that I would HAPPILY pay a toll if it meant getting the roads fixed. No response yet on that.

Anyone remember the Tolls on 264? I'd say to bring 'em back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area