Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 03:30 AM

190 posts, read 870,225 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip in Nov to see Williamsburg. My husband saw it when he was young, I never have, and we are considering the area for retirement.

Have been to Chapel Hill which we like, but the downtown was not quaint as promised, and focused too much on the college, and crime is a growing problem. Most recently visited Easton, MD (Eastern Shore) which we really, really liked. We both love the water, and live a block from it now in Newburyport, MA so it would be hard not to be close.

We're open to housing, development or not, just not some "cookie cutter" subdivision with houses stacked on each other and no trees. Our needs are modest - 3 BR, 2 Bath, 1600-1800 sq ft, we are hoping we can find something @ 350K. Can anyone recommend a few places/areas to drive through when we are there?

We like a place that are active (festivals, etc. going on all year), has the basic necessities - library, bookstore, movie theatre, restaurants other than chains - want a place with a hospital, low crime.

If anyone has pictures they could post of Williamsburg (other than Colonial Williamsburg), that would be great.

Is Williamsburg on the water? How far is the ocean (driving time) to a good beach (nothing too built up).

Is Williamsburg accepting of "outsiders"?

Although we don't really need much for entertainment, what the nearest "big city?" Richmond? We are 45 min from Boston where we are now and go in a few times a year if that, so it's not a major priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 AM

37 posts, read 179,671 times
Default Williamsburg

Williamsburg is great. It's a wonderful retirement community. There’s alot to do. The movie theater is located in a newly developed area called "New Town". There are several restaurants and shops. They also have gatherings there periodically. There are two really great outlet malls in Williamsburg. Just a short drive and a ferry ride, you can go to Smithfield which is across the James River. There is a shrimp Festival at the 4H Club. If you live in Williamsburg, you can get discounted passes for the Jamestown Settlement and Colonial Williamsburg. We are in the process of selling our house to move back to California because we miss our family so much. If it were not for that, we would stay here forever. Everyone is so friendly!!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,044,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
We are planning a trip in Nov to see Williamsburg. My husband saw it when he was young, I never have, and we are considering the area for retirement.

Have been to Chapel Hill which we like, but the downtown was not quaint as promised, and focused too much on the college, and crime is a growing problem. Most recently visited Easton, MD (Eastern Shore) which we really, really liked. We both love the water, and live a block from it now in Newburyport, MA so it would be hard not to be close.

We're open to housing, development or not, just not some "cookie cutter" subdivision with houses stacked on each other and no trees. Our needs are modest - 3 BR, 2 Bath, 1600-1800 sq ft, we are hoping we can find something @ 350K. Can anyone recommend a few places/areas to drive through when we are there?

We like a place that are active (festivals, etc. going on all year), has the basic necessities - library, bookstore, movie theatre, restaurants other than chains - want a place with a hospital, low crime.

If anyone has pictures they could post of Williamsburg (other than Colonial Williamsburg), that would be great.

Is Williamsburg on the water? How far is the ocean (driving time) to a good beach (nothing too built up).

Is Williamsburg accepting of "outsiders"?

Although we don't really need much for entertainment, what the nearest "big city?" Richmond? We are 45 min from Boston where we are now and go in a few times a year if that, so it's not a major priority.
hey macdebbie, my hubby and i are from mass (southeastern) and we just moved to James City County (just north of williamsburg). we're in a waterfront community called Chickahomeny Haven - i spelled it wrong still learning the darn spelling of the neighborhood). We're out in the country but not far from Williamsburg.

we're still learning the area but so far loving everything about it. our neighbors are amazing. hubby moved in to our new home end of february (i'm still stuck in mass trying to sell) and last time i visited, our neighbors brought us homemade cookies welcoming us to the neighborhood. i was so impressed i took a picture of the cookies.

i'm guessing richmond is the closest "big city" but let me tell you Williamsburg has a LOT to do all on its own. way more shopping than boston. lots of great restaurants too. I know i spotted a hospital in williamsburg. mmmm... not sure about a movie theatre but i'm still learning. I think you'll be surprised when you visit. Lots of trees in VA. granted this picture isn't of much but i took it on march 16th. i don't know what the purple is but it covered all the farms, it was so pretty. i can't wait to sell in ma so i can move.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,044,792 times
i don't know what happened to my picture but here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Williamsburg?-field.jpg  

Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,073,310 times
I would say that Williamsburg is great for retirement and we seem to have a ton of retired folks here. As far as housing goes, there are several agents on here (Mr. Williamsburg is very knowledgable!) that can really help you out. There are a ton of options whether you want a condo, townhome, or single family home. There is even a new active retirement community for I think 55+. Not a bad place to be at all and the crime is low. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area