Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 11:08 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
I didn't see the link, but I think the more dangerous cities would be Sr. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Houston, New Orleans, Miami...
Depends on the source. Check out this link, top 100 dangerous cities in the country

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I don't see Norfolk, or any other city in Virginia on that list.

East St. Louis is considered to be the worst. For murder, you're looking at 27, not a lot but the city itself has a population of 27,000.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

That is not a per 100,000 rate. That is one per thousand. Because it's basically 100 per 100,000.

Detroit is much lower. 303 for a city of 680,000. Or 44 per 100,000.

Going back to Norfolk we're looking at 31 for Norfolk, or 13/100 per 1,000. Much, much better rate.

Beaumont, TX comes close, at 14/100 or 16 for a city of 117,000. That city was number 100 on the list.

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 05:08 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
I didn't see the link, but I think the more dangerous cities would be Sr. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Houston, New Orleans, Miami...
I think the difference is, these cities are much larger, and have "bad sections". It is very easy to avoid the bad parts of each of these places.

Norfolk is unique because with the exception of the naval base, and some parts of Larchmont, you cannot go a quarter mile(easy walking distance) without being in a bad neighborhood.

I love Norfolk. It's vibrant, young, and has so much potential. There really is just something magical about the place.

It just has a lot of problems that nobody seems to want to fix or talk about, and these problems are holding Norfolk back from becoming one of the best cities on the east coast.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:22 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
"that nobody wants to fix or talk about"

Clearly someone doesn't read AltDaily.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
"that nobody wants to fix or talk about"

Clearly someone doesn't read AltDaily.
Not to seem rude, but how is pushing a liberal agenda and stupid crap like "race diversification" going to help Norfolk?

If you really want change, feel-good politics have no place in Norfolk.

We need some heavy-hitting truth and real change.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
I'm a conservative and I only read AltDaily for local beer and music news. That doesn't mean I haven't seen articles there about Norfolk's crime problem.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
It's a bit disturbing that Norfolk's crime is such a problem considering the population is that of a smaller city. It's not like we're taking a city with 450,000 or 550,000 people. When you have more people in one area, it's expected that crime will somewhat tick up but Norfolk's population isn't that large, it shouldn't really have the crime rate that it does.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 AM

80 posts, read 83,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
I think the difference is, these cities are much larger, and have "bad sections". It is very easy to avoid the bad parts of each of these places.

Norfolk is unique because with the exception of the naval base, and some parts of Larchmont, you cannot go a quarter mile(easy walking distance) without being in a bad neighborhood.

I love Norfolk. It's vibrant, young, and has so much potential. There really is just something magical about the place.

It just has a lot of problems that nobody seems to want to fix or talk about, and these problems are holding Norfolk back from becoming one of the best cities on the east coast.
When I was searching the forum archives while researching my move, I stumbled on thread that included a norfolk safety map created by a poster on here. I thought it was really useful.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/1138221-norfolk-safety-map.html

It sort of jives with what you said about sketchy areas near nice ones, although the "quarter mile" comment might be a bit of an exaggeration. I really haven't been able to explore Norfolk much yet but it does seem like there are a couple shootings down there at least every week on the news.

What do you propose to fix these issues? I don't get the impression that nobody is talking about them. The new mayor just came out and said bluntly "I think that we have had too many homicides," and "One is too many. I think we need to have an increased police presence." Do you agree with that?

Kenny Alexander outlines plans for city as Norfolk Mayor | WTKR.com

I guess, coming from St Louis, it just doesn't look that bad to me. Sad as it is to say, it is almost what I expect from an urban city with a large historically poor population. It is the same all over the country. That certainly doesn't mean the community shouldn't always be trying to improve though...

Last edited by vboryork; 05-09-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboryork View Post
When I was searching the forum archives while researching my move, I stumbled on thread that included a norfolk safety map created by a poster on here. I thought it was really useful.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hampt...afety-map.html

It sort of jives with what you said about sketchy areas near nice ones, although the "quarter mile" comment might be a bit of an exaggeration. I really haven't been able to explore Norfolk much yet but it does seem like there are a couple shootings down there at least every week on the news.

What do you propose to fix these issues? I don't get the impression that nobody is talking about them. The new mayor just came out and said bluntly "I think that we have had too many homicides," and "One is too many. I think we need to have an increased police presence." Do you agree with that?

Kenny Alexander outlines plans for city as Norfolk Mayor | WTKR.com

I guess, coming from St Louis, it just doesn't look that bad to me. Sad as it is to say, it is almost what I expect from an urban city with a large historically poor population. It is the same all over the country. That certainly doesn't mean the community shouldn't always be trying to improve though...
The quarter mile comment actually holds up for about 90% of the city. Norfolk is quite small in land size, and the bad neighborhoods are littered throughout. Look at this crime map picture, the deeper the blue, the safer, the whiter parts are very dangerous. The top left is the naval base and Larchmont.

And people love to talk about the problem, but they don't want to talk about the root of the problem. Norfolk has a very liberal(backwards) outlook on how to fix problems. There is always talk about needing to build a better community through things like diversification, empowering minorities, and attracting employers so there are better jobs. These are not going to fix the crime problem.

Bad people are always going to be bad. Period. There's no amount of jail, employment, etc that is going to fix that. Some people don't want to play by the rules, ever. Our jails are full of them. Unfortunately Norfolk is full of them too.

Norfolk is a typical liberal city that mismanages funds. They throw all of their money at worthless government programs and neglect what is really important for local governments: education, fire, and police.

The education sucks in Norfolk, and the police and fire departments are some of the lowest paid in the Nation.

That needs to change.

You change that, you change Norfolk.

But, that won't change, and Norfolk will continue to flush millions down the drain on bloated government administration, hire inept people in the name of diversification, and waste god knows how much money on other useless things like minority-empowerment schemes.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
It's a bit disturbing that Norfolk's crime is such a problem considering the population is that of a smaller city. It's not like we're taking a city with 450,000 or 550,000 people. When you have more people in one area, it's expected that crime will somewhat tick up but Norfolk's population isn't that large, it shouldn't really have the crime rate that it does.
You know it's called a crime RATE right? As in, crimes per 1,000 people, not overall crimes.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
You know it's called a crime RATE right? As in, crimes per 1,000 people, not overall crimes.
I guess you missed the part where I said crime RATE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area