Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 AM

25 posts, read 42,852 times

Advertisements

I have found a nice house in Norfolk, which is very close to my new office. It is in the Poplar Halls neighborhood. According to the school web site, that location is in the following schools:

- Poplar Halls Elem
- Lake Taylor Middle School
- BT Washington HS (I have not heard 1 postive thing from people about that high school)

Can you give me some thoughts on this neighborhood area? Schools?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,859,411 times
llreeder if you are interested in checking out the schools, you can check a couple of websites GreatSchools.net and SchoolMatters - Home the second one will allow you to compare the current school to the new school.

also, go yourself and visit the schools in question. Meet with the administration, check out the school and see for yourself. Sometimes folks continue telling the rumours for years and years... but you need to know how it affects you and your family.

JMHO,

Shelly

Old 02-01-2008, 05:59 AM

25 posts, read 42,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
llreeder if you are interested in checking out the schools, you can check a couple of websites GreatSchools.net and SchoolMatters - Home the second one will allow you to compare the current school to the new school.

also, go yourself and visit the schools in question. Meet with the administration, check out the school and see for yourself. Sometimes folks continue telling the rumours for years and years... but you need to know how it affects you and your family.

JMHO,

Shelly
Shelly,

You are correct about the rumours.. My wife called Norfolk School District and recieved information that is quite opposite of what people "feel", most people when asked say, I feel that an area or school is bad. I am finding the best way is to visit the area, school and review the crime stats from the local police departments. Thanks for your comments.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,859,411 times
You are welcome : ) If more folks did what you are doing, we wouldn't have nearly the rumours that we currently have. i commend you for checking it for yourself!!

Shelly

Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 PM

27 posts, read 153,003 times
I live very close to you... same schools. Get on the waiting list for Ghent Elementary. The end. Ghent Elementary goes up to 8th Grade. I was lucky enough to get my son enrolled without the lottery for Kindergarten. I've been please with K, 1 & 2nd grade so far. Note that this is a very desirable school for Norfolk and it is a "home school" for no one - thus the lottery system. If my son did not get into Ghent then I was going to pay for private school. BTW - there are great, very affordable houses in "our" area including: Wayside Manor, River Forest Shores, Easton Place BUT.... everything in life has a trade-off.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 AM

58 posts, read 212,023 times
Ghent Elementary is fantastic if you can get in there. I am not trying to just down schools for the sake of doing so...but the truth is, Booker T. does not have a good reputation, and I wouldn't send my daughter there. It is great that you are doing your research though! I used to teach for Norfolk, and there are some good schools in the district...but I would really say that Booker T. has the worst reputation out of the high schools. I hate to feed into this negative vibe you are getting from some people...but it is just the truth. I don't think what people are telling you is solely based on rumor either.

I would look into the schools in the Larchmont/Ghent area if I moved back to Norfolk. That is where I was living before. It will be touch and go with middle and high schools...but you are doing the right thing by researching. I would go to the NPS website...and DEFINITELY check out the Standards of Learning (state testing) information for each school. If a school is not meeting accreditation...then chances are they are having to teach to the test far more than other schools. That is just the way it is unfortunately.

Also, if you call the district they are going to always be wearing their rose colored glasses. I believe that it is true that Norfolk is a good urban school district...but the key here is urban. I think they have done a great job making inroads into the issues that they face, but there is still a long way to go in my personal opinion. The problem is I would much rather my daughter go to Virginia Beach or Chesapeake schools...which is why when we bought a house I moved to Virginia Beach and commuted to work.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 AM

27 posts, read 153,003 times
Keep in mind that Norfolk Public Schools does have the tag line of "the Urban Experience". Another good indicator for any school, in any district across the country, is the number of children who qualify for the meal plan. Before I accepted my son's invite to attend Ghent I called the school directly and asked for demographic information. They would not even comment. I then searched the Pilot Online back issues to find this information. I agree... do your research to find what is right for your personal situation. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area