Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 PM

150 posts, read 579,314 times

Advertisements

What are the options for high speed internet? There is Cox, Verizon (which I can't get in my area)..... what else? I'm not a fan of Cox so I'd be open to switching. I'm not looking for satellite internet either as they tend to be more expensive then cable/DSL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,995 times
I'm moving there in a few weeks, and I have exactly the same question. May I ask: what don't you like about Cox? I'd be interested to know how Cox, Verizon, and anyone else are for service, reliability, and speed. We need decent speed and reliability, since we work at home a lot and also watch streamed shows and movies.

The only options I could find for my new address were Verizon DSL (at what seems like a slow speed, only up to 3Mbps) and Cox (at a range of speeds). Both options are really expensive compared to what I'm paying now in another region, especially factoring in speed. I also looked at Earthlink's website, and they seemed to say they offer service at my new address, but I can't seem to find others saying they're using Earthlink in Williamsburg. I'm also wondering if Earthlink just piggybacks on Verizon's lines, and thus suffers the same speed limits. There are some comparison sites that let you see competing utility companies and prices at your address, but they didn't turn up any other options.

I suppose the other option would be something like a MiFi or mobile phone hotspot, but I think most of those have low data caps, so probably not a good option as a main service.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM

Well from the get-go I have a shady feeling when dealing with Cox. It's like making a deal with the devil. For the longest time they were just about the ONLY choice here for cable television. They had their own monopoly here and capitalized on innocent people who had to make a choice of atenna tv vs cable tv. I have their internet I forget which one, I think its one step below their fastest internet. I have some deal where I'm paying the price of the 15mbps package but I get around 25mbps. The speed is OK but I can't come to terms with paying this much for internet. I do get an outage here and there and the internet drops about once a day. I think I'm going to switch to Comcast which would save me around $10 a month for about the same internet speeds. I know lots of people with Comcast who are satisfied (with the highspeed internet) Cox has made a nice deal for themselves with me as a customer lol

Here is the speeds my internet is reading now:

Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM

4,981 posts, read 4,299,234 times
We had cox for years and never had a problem.

I believe Charter is also in some areas of Williamsburg.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,995,971 times
PC, are you able to get Comcast ? I just checked a few addresses in Stonehouse and Stonehouse Glen and it indicated no service available.

As an FYI, my Cox internet service is much slower than PC's but I am on a wireless laptop. PC, Are you you on an ethernet cable ? or wireless ?

We have had a few outages through the years. My main complaint is the cost. We have telephone, cable with HBO, Showtime, internet ( Essential Pkg) SLOW and it cost us $196 monthly. Maybe I will look into upgrading to the higher speed pkg which is $12 more monthly.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM

MrWmsbg,

I thought I was able to get Comcast I had to call and get them to verify because my address didn't pull up and they told me the bad news. Kinda weird how they would advertise WILLIAMSBURG on their website but I don't know of any areas that get it lol

I'm currently on an ethernet cable and I have the 15mbps plan whatever that is for like $56.99 a month but I got an offer in the mail for a free 3 month upgrade on internet, So I'm currently at the 25mbps plan but as you can see you can get faster then advertised depending on your area. Wish I still had that promo code I would let you use it.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,995,971 times
Thanks PC, I will give the upgrade a try

Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,995 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like Cox is the only game in town for decent (>3Mpbs) speeds. But wow, is it expensive. Just for comparison, in New England now I'm getting around 5Mpbs from AT&T Uverse for something like $25 a month (internet only).

Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,527,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PChildres View Post
What are the options for high speed internet? There is Cox, Verizon (which I can't get in my area)..... what else? I'm not a fan of Cox so I'd be open to switching. I'm not looking for satellite internet either as they tend to be more expensive then cable/DSL.
Cox has good Internet service though; usually Internet is up when other services like cable, and home phone do not work. If I were to go back with Cox I would use them strictly for Internet, since all of their services are digital and that is all you really need in this day and age.

Verizon, though more expensive than Cox, offers faster download speeds. Charter might be an option, but Charter resells other carriers access' they're like the StraightTalk of cable service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area