Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm sure you probably get a lot of these threads, but I was wondering if anyone could steer me towards some interesting places in the area. I'm going to be spending a week in Virginia Beach starting next Saturday, and while I do love the ocean, I also would like to check out some of the cities in the area. This is my first time to Virginia Beach. From the other threads, I see that the Ghent area of Norfolk is pretty nice. I'm basically looking for neighborhoods/downtowns with lots of shops, restaurants, interesting architecture, etc. Also, if there are any good parks in the area with nice scenery, I'd like to visit those as well. We're planning on seeing Williamsburg, VA while we're down there. Are there any other historic towns that are worth visiting?

And ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 05:24 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
For shopping/walking/Restaurants in Norfolk, you can go to Colley Ave and 21st.

You can also check out Portsmouth Old Town for walking and architecture. too bad you won't be here in Oct. when Oldtowne does a ghost walking tour of the town. I have done it before and it is very cool. here is the website: Olde Towne Ghostwalk, Portsmouth: Virginia Is For Lovers

The Neptune Festival will be going on next weekend, you can visit this website Neptune Festival - The 34th Annual Virginia Beach Neptune Festival to see what events are scheduled so you can check them out.

When you are in Virginia Beach, just across Rudee Inlet is the Marine Science Museum, where you can see a shark tank and touch stingrays. There are two buildings and you can talk a nice, scenic walk between the two buildings.

For parks, Seashore State Park at the North end of the Beach.

Williamsburg is great, and you may want to visit Jamestown. here is website for Jamestown: History Is Fun Home page

If you enjoy Amusement Parks, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg is doing their Halloween stuff. They have added attractions, etc. and call it Hallowscream.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or need more information. Happy to try to help.

Enjoy!!

Shelly

Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Thank you very much Shelly! I think I will look into many of the places you mentioned. Is there anything interesting to see in the other cities, besides Norfolk and Portsmouth? By the way, out of curiosity, is Norfolk the main city in the area and are the others suburbs? It's hard to tell on the map I'm looking at...

Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
For a downtown with large buildings, etc.. that is Norfolk. It is on the waterfront. You can also go to Waterside and check out Nauticus, and there is a battleship as part of the exhibit. There is also an upscale mall there, MacArthur Center.

In answer to your question, yes most of the rest of the area is suburbs. You have the Downtown Norfolk area and the Tourist area in Va. Beach and the Military Bases.

Oh, yeah for a park, there is the Azalea Gardens in Norfolk Norfolk Botanical Garden It is close to the airport.

Shelly

Old 09-20-2007, 11:42 PM

Thanks again Shelly! I'll be leaving soon and now I know where to go! Too bad the azaleas wont be blooming...

Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 AM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
Newport News has some nice places to visit. If you like animals, the Virginia Living Museum is a nice place to visit. Its located on J. Clyde Morris Blvd. They have a really nice nature walk and lots of neat things to see. There is also the Mariner's Museum which has been redone and now looks great inside. That is just down the road from the VLM.

Colonial Williamsburg is great and has alot of cute shops.

Have a safe trip and have fun visiting!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks Wi_Girl! Virginia Living Museum sounds like a place I'd like to see. I think I'm gonna have to stay 2 weeks now!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM

361 posts, read 1,464,940 times
The noland trail, near VLM is awesome...it is a 5 mile walk/hike along a nature path around Lake Maury near the James River

Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 PM

Damian, I checked out info on the Noland Trail and it looks really nice! 14 wooden bridges... sounds great...

Thanks for the idea

Old 09-21-2007, 04:37 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Damian, I checked out info on the Noland Trail and it looks really nice! 14 wooden bridges... sounds great...

Thanks for the idea
Yes the Noland Trail is AWESOME!!!! It is a really nice nature walk and its a long one too! Here is the web site for the VLM in case you havent looked it up. I totally recommend it. Its really nice and my husband bought me a family membership there last year for Christmas. I love it and we go all the time. Enjoy!

The Virginia Living Museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area