Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM

68 posts, read 242,210 times

Advertisements

Hampton Road's Suffolk City learned of its population boom today when the Virginia Census Report came out. Here's a link to the article: 2010 U.S. census figures show population boom in Suffolk | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,725,626 times
Wow.

I shouldn't be surprised, given all the new housing stock there, but... wow.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,749,840 times
Default Nice

I keep hoping and praying a way will open up so I can get OUT of Norfolk. It's so crowded here and so congested, and I often here gunshots coming out of Park Place (about four blocks away).

I often drive through Suffolk (the nice areas) and just DREAM of living in a place where I don't have to lock all the doors to everything I own *all* time time.

I'm stuck in Norfolk for a time (Work-related reasons) but I am dreaming and scheming about how to get out.

My point is, I am NOT surprised that Suffolk has enjoyed so much growth. Not at all. I'd be one of the people fleeing the city if I could make it so.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM

I guess it's because I remember when Suffolk was almost empty. No Obici Hospital (or any of the shopping centers around it), no King's Fork HS, no US 13 bypass around the west end of downtown. The closed Lowe's on Godwin Boulevard? I remember when it opened. And I even remember driving across the Kings Highway Bridge a time or two.

I say that to say that I never would have pictured Suffolk as more than a county-looking city full of cotton and peanut fields. Now it's on its way to being another bedroom city. I hope they manage the growth well if they keep it up.

Also, with the suburban growth, I wonder where most of the people work. If I could guess, it'd be split between Newport News and Norfolk.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,336,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I guess it's because I remember when Suffolk was almost empty. No Obici Hospital (or any of the shopping centers around it), no King's Fork HS, no US 13 bypass around the west end of downtown. The closed Lowe's on Godwin Boulevard? I remember when it opened. And I even remember driving across the Kings Highway Bridge a time or two.

I say that to say that I never would have pictured Suffolk as more than a county-looking city full of cotton and peanut fields. Now it's on its way to being another bedroom city. I hope they manage the growth well if they keep it up.

Also, with the suburban growth, I wonder where most of the people work. If I could guess, it'd be split between Newport News and Norfolk.
The majority of people aren't familiar with that part of Suffolk... I don't think that's what most people talk or think about when it comes to Suffolk, either.

North Suffolk is the new face of Suffolk.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The majority of people aren't familiar with that part of Suffolk... I don't think that's what most people talk or think about when it comes to Suffolk, either.

North Suffolk is the new face of Suffolk.
True.

Last few times I've been home, I've seen that Isle of Wight is heading the same way... most new development popping up near the JRB.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
True.

Last few times I've been home, I've seen that Isle of Wight is heading the same way... most new development popping up near the JRB.
Yes, that's a very convenient location just like North Suffolk. Low taxes, low crime, and easy access to NN and Hampton. As long as the JRB isn't cut off the area is very attractive, IMO.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM

68 posts, read 242,210 times
Quote:

If you think that part of Suffolk has grown, you'll be completely shocked when you see what has happend in the northern end of the city. No longer are the days of farm fields and thinking of turning that area into that god awful oil tanker or whatever they had planned in the 70s and 80s. That place, now known as Harbour View has Suffolk's "other" Walmart, resteraunts, retail stores and even a Pet Smart and TJ Maxx coming along College Drive in that shopping center. Over by the ODU Tri Cities center, they have a big development called "Hampton Roads Crossing" coming, that will combine homes, businesses and shops in one community on the opposite end of College Drive.

Speaking of communities all in one, they have a planned Harbour View Towne Center planned next to the movie theatre like Virginia Beach's, and are currently deciding what to do with the old TCC campus by the shore of the James River, and are considering placing an "outlet mall" on Bridge Road.

Sometimes I can't believe how much the city has grown, but I like it, and the national recognition we recently got as one of the best 100 cities to live or something like that, but don't be fooled. Growth is in other parts of the city as well, and they're suppose to be expanding Holland Road soon.

I can't wait until the city finally decides to reopen the Kings Highway Bridge so that we all don't have to cram down Nansemond Parkway and Shoulders Hill Road to get from the cities south to the citys north and vice versa. Some people take the interstate which is faster (but at the sametime you get to Chesapeake first that way, and I'm sure impatient/ or gas savers take 11B to Chesapeake Square instead of that extra time to get to Harbour View further down.) I think the opening of that bridge will not only be more convenient for drivers, but unify the city more, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM

From what I understand, the Kings Hwy Bridge needs to be rebuilt and VDOT can't seem to justify the expense. They may need to if the city keeps growing.

If they keep developing that stretch of Holland Road west of downtown, it's gonna be a headache for both local traffic and long-distance travelers (which I am when I travel through there). They may need to bypass that at some point.

With all the development, though, I may need to drive through Suffolk again at some point.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM

That bridge has been out for years now. I don't see it getting rebuilt any time soon, either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area