Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 PM

27 posts, read 108,042 times

Advertisements

I live in Newport News (Denbigh area) and I have a friend coming in from Chicago from 2/10 until 2/14.

I need ideas. Relatively inexpensive things to do. Good restaurants? Karaoke anywhere? Daytime stuff? Anywhere in Hampton Roads (VAB to Williamsburg) will be fine

Anything to do on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge?

Most of the Colonial touristy stuff is open by then, right?

How about museums? Anything really cool going on?

Thanks - Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM

28 posts, read 45,630 times
Let's see, Colonial Williamsburg, Saddle Ridge here in Hampton is a rock/country saloon and they do karoake, if you're into military stuff you can go tour naval station norfolk from a boat and they'll show you all the ships ( the dock for the tour is down by nauticus in norfolk), there's the mariner's museum, nauticus itself, chrysler museum of art, the virginia air and space center, I'm not sure how much would be open down at the boardwalk in VB but it's worth a shot, there's all kinds of different things to explore in williamsburg/ the historic triangle...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 AM

27 posts, read 108,042 times
Default Thank you so much!!

Those are some great ideas. I didn't know you could take a boat tour of Naval Station Norfolk.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,525,311 times
Virginia Aquarium is pretty cool too.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,391,646 times
Are you sure the boat tours run in the winter?

I know the Carrie B leaves for Ft. Lauderdale during the winter and I thought others went to similar warm locations.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM

28 posts, read 45,630 times
Just checked the website ( victory rover) and it said tours will resume February 26th, so you'll have to miss that one When I first moved here I went in march, so I figured they were open year round. Anyhow, there's another way to tour the base, here's the link :
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/norfolksta...ours/index.htm

If you get a security warning, continue on, government websites are a pain in the butt with their certificates, etc. This way is by bus, so you'll actually be on the base, and the office is right by Gate 5.You would take 562 headed toward the base, and then you'll come to an intersection, and there will be gates to your right and right in front of you. You'll turn left, and then at the next light you come to the building will be on your right, you don't even have to get on base In case that link doesn't work, the phone number is (757) 444-7955, you can call there if it's something you're interested in doing

Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 AM

371 posts, read 1,199,365 times
Colonial Williamsburg is open year round. It costs to get INTO the buildings that have tours and reinactors that guide you through and teach you about who would have lived or worked there, what they were like, etc. BUT walking around the historic area and looking at the buildings from the outside and going to the Visitors Center and watching the film on the historic area and getting a map is free! You can go into the historic shops and restaurants without a pass though.

Chrysler Museum of art in Norfolk does not charge admission fees anymore.

Take your friend to breakfast or lunch at TOMMY's RESTAURANT in Hampton. It is on Mercury blvd. Near the intersection of Big Bethel Road. It is close by the Krispy Kreme donuts place. Tommy's is a locals favorite. They are open from like 7 am to 3 pm only. Inexpensive meals, good sized portions. There may be a waiting line to get in the door, but it moves quickly and it is worth waiting!! The Tommy's breakfast Special (first item on the menu) is a favorite among many!

A great place for a seafood meal is Harpoon Larry's Oyster Bar. Also in Hampton, also on Mercury, but the other end of Mercury on the intersection of Armistead and Mercury. It too can be really busy, but again, worth it. Very fresh seafood. Very casual place, pretty small. Good beer specials. Lots of people bring their out of town friends and family here for a meal.

You probably wont want to go over to the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. It's a looong drive and it costs like $10 toll each way. Not much to see/do there on the other side.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM

359 posts, read 763,680 times
Any second takers on this topic? I'm having friends come in and thought this deserved a bump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area