Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,574,331 times

Advertisements

That cutting in some long layers is what I will do next cut. I think that is smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,282,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
OK, I am older (65) but when my hair gets mid-back and longer the ends get really dry and dead and stiff. What makes it worse is my hair is really a pretty silver/gray and the ends will get to be a light yellow-brown (really not pretty), plus, stiff and dry. You can feel where the healthy hair is and where the old, dead hair is.
My question is: Is this normal for everyone's hair? I assume it is, but how do you "cure" it and get it back to normal? Or is it best just to cut it off once it gets past mid-back?
I got so disgusted yesterday I cut 3 inches off my ponytail, so now it has all healthy hair. But I said to myself that I am giving it 2 months like this and--if it gets brown, dry and stiff again--I am getting it cut into a short style. I would like my ponytail which is thick, wavy and coarse to grow long and lovely, but this dry/stiff/yellow-brown color is a drag and stops me.
After watching Nick Arojo on "What Not to Wear" tv show, I see he always suggests never growing your hair past mid-back. I wonder if the reason is that everyone's hair gets just too old and dry/stiff past this length.
Anyone have any information and advice about this? Seems to me this is the 3rd time I've cut it off...and my chances of growing the ponytail to my waist is getting slimmer and slimmer unless I can tolerate the ugly hair. If my hair were, say, brown all the way down, it would be easier to handle; but the yellow-brown is just darned ugly and noticeable...well, 3 different people told me to cut 3 inches off my hair within the last 2 weeks (one being my son), so it shows...darn it!
Advice? Information? If this happens to everyone's hair (the dead hair that gets stiff/dry at mid-back) I realize my chances are non-existent to grow it longer....and I will then throw in the old towel.
I think it really depends... My old roommate (Japanese) had hair all they past her butt and it felt silky the whole way down. She slept in conditioner and it was virgin hair. (no color etc) Everyone was so jealous of her hair. Both her mom and dad also had great hair.

Anything longer than chin length for me and I have to baby it unless I leave it virgin. My virgin hair is ok until it goes below my shoulders. If I am in an arid climate I have to baby it the whole way as soon as it pops out of my head or it just breaks off and looks lumpy.

I think perhaps the stylist stated that for looks reasons maybe? Not everyone can pull off long hair like that.

Bleach it out before you cut it off. Gives those inches a few more fun days!
Plus white tips on the bottom of grey look pretty nifty.

After that you are going to want to seal it & deep condition daily to keep it nice until the next chopping.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think it really depends... My old roommate (Japanese) had hair all they past her butt and it felt silky the whole way down. She slept in conditioner and it was virgin hair. (no color etc) Everyone was so jealous of her hair. Both her mom and dad also had great hair.

Anything longer than chin length for me and I have to baby it unless I leave it virgin. My virgin hair is ok until it goes below my shoulders. If I am in an arid climate I have to baby it the whole way as soon as it pops out of my head or it just breaks off and looks lumpy.

I think perhaps the stylist stated that for looks reasons maybe? Not everyone can pull off long hair like that.

Bleach it out before you cut it off. Gives those inches a few more fun days!
Plus white tips on the bottom of grey look pretty nifty.

After that you are going to want to seal it & deep condition daily to keep it nice until the next chopping.

You aren't suggesting washing my hair every day are you?
And seal it and deep condition it with what? I do like Aussie 3 minute miracle. Something like that?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM

178 posts, read 540,933 times
One stylist I went to claimed that a lot of the local well water contained natural ingredients that weren't friendly to healthy hair. I've never had that problem with well water so can't say. What might matter is the type of hair products used. My hair got to a point where I couldn't use most department store brands and had to switch to Redken Smooth Down and the Extreme Anti-Snap.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,282,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
You aren't suggesting washing my hair every day are you?
And seal it and deep condition it with what? I do like Aussie 3 minute miracle. Something like that?
Oh no. If you can skip it, thats best. I have to daily light condition even if I don't wash it. I have been experimenting with using a rosewater spray in the middle of the day. It has rose and oils. I find that is helping too. Its wavier than its been in a long time. (tigher curl happens when its hydrated instead of falling dry and flatter)

I deep condition usually with a product and then put some sort of natural oil to seal it on the ends. Lately its been almond or coconut. I do like that aussie stuff. I like how its packaged too.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 PM

My son has coarse hair. I'm 1/4 Cherokee and he's only an 1/8th, but we both have that thick, coarse American Indian hair for some reason. He, too, has to be careful what type of shampoos he uses in order to keep his hair soft. For me, it hasn't been a problem, tho.

I have been loading organic, virgin coconut oil in my hair before washing, sitting maybe 20-45 minutes with it on and then washing it out. That alone has made a great deal of difference in the softness of my hair and lasts for about 2 more washings without having to do it again.

And I learned to use coconut oil from this board. Thank you, people!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,858,270 times
I know you obviously enjoy your long hair but I would really consider cutting it alot shorter, maybe shoulder blade length. I bet it would look great! My hair gets dry, frizzy when it hits my shoulder and bushes out. Gray hair is very often frizzy anyway.

You might like to try olive oil...it did wonders for my hair. Just put it on and leave it for about an hour, or more, since your hair is so long.

But, realistically, hair is dead and the longer it hangs around the worse condition it will get, especially past middle age.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I know you obviously enjoy your long hair but I would really consider cutting it alot shorter, maybe shoulder blade length. I bet it would look great! My hair gets dry, frizzy when it hits my shoulder and bushes out. Gray hair is very often frizzy anyway.

You might like to try olive oil...it did wonders for my hair. Just put it on and leave it for about an hour, or more, since your hair is so long.

But, realistically, hair is dead and the longer it hangs around the worse condition it will get, especially past middle age.

Well, that's a pretty realistic comment actually. I'm going to let it alone until I definitely decide what to do. Who knows? I might just have it cut short and be done with it now that I found the name of a great salon here.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,558,778 times
Get a little length trimmed off and cut some long layers in it... After that, take really good care of your hair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care