Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,971,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Could you live with this? Too short?

Jodie Foster - Transformation - Celebrities - In Style

THIS is what I had, but slightly longer...and majorly permed.

Layering in This Classic Shag Hair Style - Hair

The two images of Valerie seem slightly different - linked one just has layering on the sides while the one you actually have showing seems more textured. It might just be the styling, though.
Thank you for the link on Jodie Foster, I think I am going to ask my hairdresser to cut my hair like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,971,623 times
Lisa, sorry I stole your thread. I hope you found an answer to your question here.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
That looks like angled layers on naturally wavy hair to me. What do you mean you brought the picture in? Like she tried to do the cut and then didn't have the right results?

I brought my laptop in with me with the picture.(The one with the shorts on). I have a larger oic on my lap top. Anyway she left the hair along my face one length going into the back. I asked if she was supposed to do some kind of angled cut from my bangs and along my face and then to the bottom front of my hair. Anyway, it didn't work. No angle cut.

Whenever I cut layers into my own (for the love of god do not DIY this or you could really mess it up): Don't worry I only do my bangs on occasion but I would "never" cut any more of my hair. I like it too much, lol.

Try a different hairdresser that you know is good with layers. Some people do it kinda blah.... I might have to find a new hairdresser which is ashame because she really listens I just don't know if she is familiar with what I want.

Quote:
We called that a 'shag' in the 80's.

Be forewarned, perms (body waves) were required if you did not have seriously thick, textured hair.

Scrunching, as opposed to rolling back with a round brush, is how the not so Farrah look was achieved.
I do have wavy thick hair that does very well with layers. No shag for me because I don't want it on my face and I don't want it all cut up in the back of my head.

I can't do the "current in" long layers because their cuts don't start layering until about chin length which doesn't work for me. I need the layers to start with the bangs and continue past my shoulders. What is that cut called?

Thanks for the help. I guess I should better explain. I had the Farrah cut when I was young and I was able to pretty much wash and go. Just dry my bangs, brush the rest back and my wave would take over. When my hair gets long without the layers it gets weighed down and flat on my head. I hate that, lol.

So I guess it would be angled layers. How far back do you cut on top of the scalp? Is there any feathering? Oh I am in so much trouble. I am still in the process of growing a botch job from 2 years ago. It's almost to my shoulders now.(the botched part) The rest is down my back.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
Lisa, sorry I stole your thread. I hope you found an answer to your question here.

No problem. I don't mind sharing, lol. Good luck with your haircut. Post a pic.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,710,963 times
I think the best thing you could do is hit a B&N or B'a Million and check out the hairstyling magazines - crazy amounts of publications dedicated to every whim. I am almost positive that you can find something there...

When my hair got longer, before I grew it all one length, I had the Jacqueline Smith thing going on. Ah, the 80's.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I think the best thing you could do is hit a B&N or B'a Million and check out the hairstyling magazines - crazy amounts of publications dedicated to every whim. I am almost positive that you can find something there...

When my hair got longer, before I grew it all one length, I had the Jacqueline Smith thing going on. Ah, the 80's.

Thanks. I'll keep trying. I love jacklyn Smith's hair. I am so 80's, lol. Not too big though- I didn't like that. I just hate flat hair on me.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 PM

I'm growing out a pixie that was a result of me shaving it off...(yeah, I do that)...so now I'm dealing with MONTHS of really bad hair days. I actually have a shag right now, but not a good one. Too mullet-ish for my taste, but much like what the kids wear now, all EMO...but I'm not EMO.

Staring at the clippers...nope, gonna grow it out. Determined...

Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
Look what I found on accident!:
Five Easy Ways to Add A Little Rock 'n' Roll to Your Look - Fashion + Beauty on Shine (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/five-easy-ways-to-add-a-little-rock-n-roll-to-your-look-408873/#photoViewer=7 - broken link)

"For a flattering change that isn't too dramatic, consider getting a layered haircut like one of these and adding a sideswept bang, which is what stylist Katia of Lukaro Beverly Hills does to Linda's naturally wavy hair. The result is a more voluminous shape that still looks long and feminine. You can blow-dry this style straight with a round ionic brush (try Metropolis Round Thermal Ionic Brush, $19.95) and temporary straightener (try Biosilk Silk Strate, $11.99) to add bounce, body and shine. To create natural-looking waves instead, roll damp hair into buns on the sides of the head and secure with pins. Heat the buns with a blow dryer and let air-dry"
Five Easy Ways to Add A Little Rock 'n' Roll to Your Look - Fashion + Beauty on Shine (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/five-easy-ways-to-add-a-little-rock-n-roll-to-your-look-408873/#photoViewer=2 - broken link)

I think she tried to make it sorta that longer bang look that everyone has. I like to do that myself but layers (to me) start right around eye socket level. Makes the top of the head look wider and the chin smaller. There is a link on slide two to some more celeb hair cuts to look at.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I need the layers to start with the bangs and continue past my shoulders.
Seems to me, if the stylist started the layers higher, giving her fringe (she said she wants it to start above the jawline), she'd have the Valerie with what you just found...
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/five-easy-ways-to-add-a-little-rock-n-roll-to-your-look-408873/#photoViewer=7 (broken link)

Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Funny, I thought that looked familiar...(shag grown out)

'Gonna have to start a 'WHO'S HAIR DID WE HAVE?' thread...
Attached Thumbnails
I Need Help With A Haircut-1982-83.jpg   I Need Help With A Haircut-jaclyn_smith.jpg  

Last edited by 33458; 03-04-2009 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care