Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,035,620 times

Advertisements

How has your account not been banned yet?

I've never seen such a collection of horrible threads by one poster in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:23 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,669,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
It is that woman's choice if she wants to cover 70 of her body and face with tattoos but at a place that is part of a conservative chain of salons, many people are going to be turned off.

Here is what she looked like:

Facial Tattoo Design Women

Would someone like this be hired at a traditional business?

She is probably the owner.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,806,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I think the whole situation says more about you than it does her. And it isn't good.

It's hair. If you don't want someone with bad hair cutting your hair, that's fine. Go somewhere else. Heck, I won't let anyone touch my head if they have awful-looking hair themselves. However, these were tattoos and piercings. They had nothing to do with her ability to cut or style hair.
So if you owned a business and were hiring a Receptionist you would not be concerned about having someone who was the face of your company have tattoos over 70% of their visible skin including their face and neck? (As long as they had telephone and clerical skills that would be fine)

Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,698,029 times
Quote:
So if you owned a business and were hiring a Receptionist you would not be concerned about having someone who was the face of your company have tattoos over 70% of their visible skin including their face and neck? (As long as they had telephone and clerical skills that would be fine)
I guess it depended on the company. It's fairly commonplace for hairstylists to have piercings and tattoos, at least in my area, so I wouldn't even bat an eye. If I were running a nursing home then the policy would be no visible tattoos or piercings, which is a very common practice in nursing homes because the people in that age group are oftentimes very offended by that sort of thing. Several years from now, that won't be the case as current generations are very accustomed to that sort of thing.

I wouldn't NOT go to the grocery store closest to my house just because a few tattooed and pierced people worked there.

I personally think you owe the girl an apology, and if you don't want to man up and apologize then go back and give her a shot at doing your hair. You said it was more of an upscale place, which leads me to believe she had to prove she could do the job in order to get hired in the first place.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:46 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,806,880 times
Again, I don't have a problem with a couple of tattoos for people in creative fields but this woman was covered head to toe and looked like a freak. I would never be a customer of a place who hired someone like her to work with the customers.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,474,494 times
Quote:
Again, I don't have a problem with a couple of tattoos for people in creative fields but this woman was covered head to toe and looked like a freak. I would never be a customer of a place who hired someone like her to work with the customers.
What a person looks like has nothing to do with their qualifications. You may have missed out on the best haircut of your life!

Take some time and just smile one day. Try not to be so judgmental of everyone you encounter. Life is much happier when you go about your day in a positive manner.

You get what you give.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,485,528 times
Quote:
The trouble with trying to find a new hairstylist at a neighborhood salon is you don't know who is going to come out of the back room to take care of you.

So I walk into a salon called Bubbles (An upscale version of the Haircuttery owned by the same company), and ask for a haircut. About 2 minutes later a woman comes out the back room and greets me. She looks like a freak with multi colored hair, many piercings and at least 20 tattoos covering her entire body including her hands, neck and her entire arms and legs.

I was immediately turned off and lost respect for her as a professional. I was afraid someone who made these choices in her appearance could not make logical decisions in the cutting of a clients hair.

What could I do, go back to the salon receptionist and say the lady they assigned me is too freaky looking?

Instead I just made an excuse about forgetting an appointment and left.

I wonder if anyone else over forty was so turned off by the stylists appearance that they never returned. Does she know that her appearance is hurting her business and professionalism?

** I understand that being a hair stylist is a creative endeavor so a few tasteful tattoos and piercings are fine in my opinion but she was over the top with 70% of her body (that I could see) covered in tattoos.

Do you make a mountain out of every mole hill and judge everyone just from their appearance?

She had tattoos, colored hair and piercings, so what, those things do not detract from her ability to cut an old mans hair properly.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:30 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,504,373 times
The issue in this scenario is expectation because Bubbles is not a traditional salon. From the company's own marketing material on their website, the salon is one that is built upon creativity and energy, and on the main Ratner website, the brand is described as fashion-forward and trendy. So, the creativity of an employee with pink hair and tattoos would fit in that environment. Simply put, it's the wrong choice of salon if you are looking for a traditional environment in which to receive a haircut.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-14-2014, 09:46 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,698,029 times
Quote:
I'm sure the girl likes her tattoos and is happy with them, but how do you know she didn't regret them but could do nothing to remove them at this point in her life? You judged her and her qualifications on her outward appearance. It wasn't fair. You know it wasn't fair. Why not just own it?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,712,853 times
Why would a person looking to get a traditional haircut and expecting butlers, Maitre Ds, towel service, and stylists in formal wear go into a salon called "Bubbles"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care