Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 04:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

I have a shot gun someone dropped causing part of the wooden stock to break off. What kind of glue should I use to repair it? Or does it really need to be done professionally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:58 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I have a shot gun someone dropped causing part of the wooden stock to break off. What kind of glue should I use to repair it? Or does it really need to be done professionally?
What kind of shotgun? Can you post a pic?

Old 11-14-2016, 12:06 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I've used Gorilla Glue twice now once on a shotgun. I put it on both woods that go back together, then clamp or wrap with a rope or strap and let dry for a few days. I then sand off, maybe a good time to do the whole stock. Restain and the let that dry and put on a few coats of protectant of some kind I use polyurethane. Oh, be careful not to get the glue on whatever you use to wrap it with...

Old 11-15-2016, 12:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
when i glue wood pieces together, i prefer epoxy.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
West System Epoxy

Old 11-15-2016, 08:13 AM

79 posts, read 104,297 times
Gorilla glue is great but its an expanding epoxy. You have to clean it while soft with alcohol or get ready to sand. Clear epoxy is great but thick and hydro-static pressure. If you use regular glue buy wood glue. It has a lot less water in it.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:47 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
very much depends upon the wood structure to be glued back together.

if the break is across the grain of the wood so that it's fiber ends to fiber ends, then a POLYURETHANE glue such as Gorilla glue would be the choice.

if, OTOH, the break is along the grain so that you're gluing long fibers to a long fiber surface, than traditional "yellow glue" such as Titebond yield a stronger bond.

it's important to follow the directions of the respective glues for best adhesion/bonding strength. The polyurethane glues are moisture activated, so you must moisten at least one surface to be bonded and then apply the glue to the other surface. The glue will expand, sometimes rather forcefully and weep out of the glue line. Hence the need to wipe off most of the excess when you assemble the pieces and then wrap waxed paper over the glue line as a bond-breaker for the clamping materials. Could be you'll use c-clamps or bar clamps or clips, or some combination of wraps and clamps to hold the joint together for the glue curing process, but it's essential to have that bond-breaker so that the clamps will come free from the cured glue to minimize the potential for damage to the wood surfaces. If the break was clean, the glue line should be very minimal, hardly visible.

Similarly, yellow glues will need appropriate clamping but are less likely to push out a lot of excess glue from the joint line.
These will use less clamping force than the polyurethane glues to hold the parts in position.

While the marine grade epoxies can be a reasonable choice, I've not seen them sold in small quantity kits, where the repair glues are sold in small bottles appropriate for this job. Best to use fresh glue from a small container rather than some from a big container that's been sitting around for some time.

Once the glue has set up, then you can deal with the final clean-up and refinishing of the stock as needed. A clean break with a minimal glue line might not even need to be refinished.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:25 PM

502 posts, read 1,379,615 times
Acra glass from Brownells regardless of the type of break

Old 11-20-2016, 08:55 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I repaired a broken rifle stock with Elmer carpenters glue in 1979, and it's still holding up to this day. Black epoxy is also good (JB Weld) However, much depends on how well the pieces fit back together.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:16 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I repaired a broken rifle stock with Elmer carpenters glue in 1979, and it's still holding up to this day. Black epoxy is also good (JB Weld) However, much depends on how well the pieces fit back together.
What Mr. Plumber said. I used the Elmer's to repair the badly cracked wrist of my Winchester 9422 buttstock several years ago. Carefully fitted back together, the break line in the checkering is barely visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting