Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
I like your thinking. Oh, how I'd like to see that former Harris Teeter/Bi-Lo/church space occupied - preferably by something that will add to the tax base. It could have such great potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well for that matter, I would like to see Harris Teeter come back. Their stores in Charlotte are very nice.
The grocery scene in North Carolina and South Carolina is getting very interesting.

Publix is expanding into North Carolina and has its Charlotte Division actively operating. I can see several more new stores opening soon in the City of Greer and possibly Boiling Springs and west Spartanburg.

Kroger is acquiring Harris Teeter to infill in the Carolinas. Re-entering the upstate and entering Florida is not unlikely. Kroger going after Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie has been very strong in the rumor mill.

Ingle's should be commencing on store overhauls in Powdersville and Mauldin. Their video departments are being phased out in favor of pharmacies.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The grocery scene in North Carolina and South Carolina is getting very interesting.

Publix is expanding into North Carolina and has its Charlotte Division actively operating. I can see several more new stores opening soon in the City of Greer and possibly Boiling Springs and west Spartanburg.

Kroger is acquiring Harris Teeter to infill in the Carolinas. Re-entering the upstate and entering Florida is not unlikely. Kroger going after Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie has been very strong in the rumor mill.

Ingle's should be commencing on store overhauls in Powdersville and Mauldin. Their video departments are being phased out in favor of pharmacies.
Here's my future prediction for the Upstate grocers over the next decade:

Kroger seems to compete quite well in the Atlanta market with Publix - I predict they'll buy out Bi-Lo stores in the Upstate and move in. Ingles will really need to find their niche (in the more saturated areas of the Upstate) - will they go upscale and compete with Publix, slash prices/services and compete with Walmart Neighborhood stores, or focus more on rural locations (and close some existing locations)?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
I believe Ingles would be wise to build a large new store in Powdersville with gas outside and a Starbucks inside like the one in west Spartanburg. They need a dramatic change to compete with BI-LO, Walmart, Dollar General, the pharmacies, and any potential newcomers nearby (rumors include Publix). They should also realize that their competition extends beyond Powdersville into Easley and Greenville, considering how many local residents are employed in other counties. I believe Trader Joe's would thrive in Powdersville.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:18 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post

Kroger seems to compete quite well in the Atlanta market with Publix - I predict they'll buy out Bi-Lo stores in the Upstate and move in. Ingles will really need to find their niche (in the more saturated areas of the Upstate) - will they go upscale and compete with Publix, slash prices/services and compete with Walmart Neighborhood stores, or focus more on rural locations (and close some existing locations)?
I think Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie will eventually sell out to Kroger or some other company. They are no longer able to compete effectively against Publix on the high end and Walmart on the other. Which is perhaps part of the reason these these declining chains combined, with long term plans to sell and command a better price. But if Kroger enters the Upstate, would they operate under the Kroger brand or bring back newly acquired Harris Teeter? And how much longer will Food Lion struggle to hang on with its few remaining locations in the Upstate?

Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I believe Ingles would be wise to build a large new store in Powdersville with gas outside and a Starbucks inside like the one in west Spartanburg. They need a dramatic change to compete with BI-LO, Walmart, Dollar General, the pharmacies, and any potential newcomers nearby (rumors include Publix). They should also realize that their competition extends beyond Powdersville into Easley and Greenville, considering how many local residents are employed in other counties. I believe Trader Joe's would thrive in Powdersville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I think Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie will eventually sell out to Kroger or some other company. They are no longer able to compete effectively against Publix on the high end and Walmart on the other. Which is perhaps part of the reason these these declining chains combined, with long term plans to sell and command a better price. But if Kroger enters the Upstate, would they operate under the Kroger brand or bring back newly acquired Harris Teeter? And how much longer will Food Lion struggle to hang on with its few remaining locations in the Upstate?
I will agree with you in the thought of Kroger acquiring Bi-Lo Holdings (Bi-Lo, Winn Dixie, Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay) in the future. After a few brand reductions, I can see Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie remaining in name only under the Kroger umbrella, just like Harris Teeter.

Ingle's, though silent, has managed to do very well. With three stores being overhauled, two or three new stores going up on old store sites, and improvements in other stores (i.e. replacing all video departments with pharmacies), Ingle's has current stores invested. Ingle's has not been aggressive in opening additional locations, a hump they may want to cross to keep up with Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Food Lion has pretty much admitted defeat after arriving in the region unprepared. They are down to ten stores in Anderson, Blacksburg, Gaffney, Greenwood (two stores), Piedmont, Roebuck, Seneca, Simpsonville and Spartanburg. Food Lion will continue to close underperforming stores including those ten stores in time.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion has pretty much admitted defeat after arriving in the region unprepared. They are down to ten stores in Anderson, Blacksburg, Gaffney, Greenwood (two stores), Piedmont, Roebuck, Seneca, Simpsonville and Spartanburg. Food Lion will continue to close underperforming stores including those ten stores in time.
At least one of the stores has been in Greenwood for well over 30 years. Maybe there was a closure that I didn't notice, but.. It used to be back behind Crosscreek.. When it was called that.. Up until 7 or 8 years ago, then a new store was built. So.. That one, I doubt goes anywhere. The one in Roebuck, I assume, is what I would consider Woodruff.. I doubt that one is going anywhere, either, because the only competition is from Bi-Lo.

Food Lion would do well to find a niche in this area and stick to it.. That means, to me, no Greenville, no Spartanburg.. But the smaller outskirt communities, like most of what you've mentioned above. I'd include Abbeville in that list, except for the fact that they have both an Ingles (Fairly new) and a Bi-Lo. If something was put in... Maybe the Donalds area.. Maybe even Due West.. That'd probably be a good idea. That whole area either has to go to Abbeville or Honea Path, and Honea Path only has a Bi-Lo so far as I know. But winning in Greenville or Spartanburg against all the options there? Not gonna happen. Hit the underserved markets. Build some loyalty there.. Then, down the road, maybe take a shot at bigger areas..

I just want to know when the Hickory Points are getting the Slurpee machines..

Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
At least one of the stores has been in Greenwood for well over 30 years. Maybe there was a closure that I didn't notice, but.. It used to be back behind Crosscreek.. When it was called that.. Up until 7 or 8 years ago, then a new store was built. So.. That one, I doubt goes anywhere. The one in Roebuck, I assume, is what I would consider Woodruff.. I doubt that one is going anywhere, either, because the only competition is from Bi-Lo.

Food Lion would do well to find a niche in this area and stick to it.. That means, to me, no Greenville, no Spartanburg.. But the smaller outskirt communities, like most of what you've mentioned above. I'd include Abbeville in that list, except for the fact that they have both an Ingles (Fairly new) and a Bi-Lo. If something was put in... Maybe the Donalds area.. Maybe even Due West.. That'd probably be a good idea. That whole area either has to go to Abbeville or Honea Path, and Honea Path only has a Bi-Lo so far as I know. But winning in Greenville or Spartanburg against all the options there? Not gonna happen. Hit the underserved markets. Build some loyalty there.. Then, down the road, maybe take a shot at bigger areas..

I just want to know when the Hickory Points are getting the Slurpee machines..
I forgot to include Woodruff, making that 11 Food Lion stores remaining.

Food Lion had three Greenwood stores, one behind Crosscreek/Greenwood Mall that closed several years ago, the SC-72 bypass store that was a Foodmax and the only Food Lion in the upstate to have a pharmacy, and Edgefield Street which relocated to the former Winn Dixie on US-25 bypass and failed to keep Winn Dixie's pharmacy.

Due West and Donalds are not large enough to support supermarkets. I think Dollar General would find more success if they opened their larger Dollar General Market in these areas.

Honea Path has a Bi-Lo. Ware Shoals has a Piggly Wiggly. Abbeville has Bi-Lo and Ingle's. Ingle's is replacing its video departments with pharmacies at its Abbeville and Belton stores.

One area that is deeply underserved by a supermarket is the Iva/Starr communities.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
I think Ingles would be the perfect target for Kroger. Ingles layouts remind me of Kroger stores in TN and they could easily be rebranded. It would fill in the Western Carolinas for Kroger where they have no stores and few HT stores. It will be interesting to see which brand ( Kroger or HT) they stick with in SC. ( Kroger stores in Myrtle Beach, HT in Charleston and a Kroger Marketplace being currently constructed on Hilton Head Island)

Knight: Food Lion actually moved from Crosscreek in Greenwood to the first Walmart Shopping center on SC-72. It was for a very short time because Walmart vacated that practically new shopping center and built a Supercenter on the opposite side of the mall /FL closed that store shortly after Walmart moved and landed across the road in the Foodmax buiding where it is today. Ollies is currently in the old FL and Newspring is in the old Walmart at Greenwood Plaza. Construction should be starting any day now on the on the Publix SC72 store across from the Walmart Supercenter. I saw where bids were being accepted for construction of Publix Pavilion shopping center

Old 08-26-2013, 06:17 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I think Ingles would be the perfect target for Kroger. Ingles layouts remind me of Kroger stores in TN and they could easily be rebranded.
I'm not sure if the Food Lion stores in our areas (especially the ones that took over Bloom) are large enough for Kroger's needs. The former Bloom's averaged around 38,000 sq. ft.; Krogers average around 61,000 sq. ft. in size, which they consider a "Neighborhood Store". Kroger's also has it's new Marketplace concept superstores that can be as large as 133,000 sq. ft.

The Super Bi-Lo Stores in our area may be a better fit in terms of square footage for a Kroger takeover. (The newer Simpsonville store on Hwy 14 is 63,000 sq ft).

Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Not your grandparents Kroger - Homegoods, Apparel, Jewelry and Furniture

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...w-Marketplaces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area