Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM

11,710 posts, read 24,822,897 times

Advertisements

Take this survey and help improve the Greenlink transit system: http://www.surveymethods.com/Preview...COPY_THIS_LINK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM

177 posts, read 686,364 times
Thanks g-man. I am opposed to all publically funded transit -- a good chance to express those views.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,558,244 times
Cool! Hope this bears fruit on possible park & rides or service to the airport!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,551,219 times
Good, maybe the poor people who have no choice but to depend on the bus service will finally have some good quality service.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Good, maybe the poor people who have no choice but to depend on the bus service will finally have some good quality service.
And, maybe if everyone else has access to the same improved service, we can reduce congestion on the roads as well as air pollution, and give more people an opportunity to exercise (by walking to/from bus stops, etc).

Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,551,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
And, maybe if everyone else has access to the same improved service, we can reduce congestion on the roads as well as air pollution, and give more people an opportunity to exercise (by walking to/from bus stops, etc).
Exactly, I agree with you. It is not good for peoples health to be dependent on cars to go everywhere. Traffic congestion will improve for now if Greenlink makes changes but as more newcomers arrive in Greenville traffic will get worse....the congestion is inevitable. While I was in Greenville for a recent visit noticed that Mauldin is becoming quite congested during the early evenings...good signs of growth.

As an example of how transit systems do not solve all traffic and congestion problems....we have mass transit (buses, trains, water taxis and regular taxis) and it is still very congested here on the buses, trains, subway platforms, stairways and streets.

Wherever there is progress.......there is going to be traffic, pollution and congestion, the three go together! A little bit of traffic and congestion on I-85 or Woodruff Road will not be enough to win the argument with Greenlink to make the transit system better. I would enjoy leaving my car in the garage and walk or take a bus to places when I am in Greenville.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 12-09-2009 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM

5,595 posts, read 15,397,114 times
Municipal transit is not a charitable service, although regretfully some people abuse it as such.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,848,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Wherever there is progress.......there is going to be traffic, pollution and congestion, the three go together! A little bit of traffic and congestion on I-85 or Woodruff Road will not be enough to win the argument with Greenlink to make the transit system better. I would enjoy leaving my car in the garage and walk or take a bus to places when I am in Greenville.
I agree with the seniment, love it when a town is walk/bike and/or public transit friendly, they would have to build sidewalks on that woodruff side of town but it is a good idea.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I agree with the seniment, love it when a town is walk/bike and/or public transit friendly, they would have to build sidewalks on that woodruff side of town but it is a good idea.
The city is working on that, but they have to take it area by area, so it will be a while before much of the city is like that. But, they're actively starting to redo infrastructure in the Haywood Rd corridor along those lines. I had thought they were supposed to do the same with the Pleasantburg Dr corridor years ago, but never saw any evidence of it.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 PM

216 posts, read 413,978 times
I completed the survey. Thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area