Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 05:30 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,543 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing a lot of local stores. I would like something like Mr. Knickerbocker or another Clemson swag store.

These Haywood Mall stores don't seem like stores for poor people. It is surprising it was being presented as basically a flea market now.

I don't think that I've been there but there are outlet stores over in Gaffney. It has a H&M and so does Spartanburg. The outlet center has a Michael Kors as well. It looks like we won't have to raze Haywood Mall. Seems pretty easy to stop at the outlet on the way somewhere else.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-05-2021 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 06:37 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,013,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
I'm not seeing a lot of local stores. I would like something like Mr. Knickerbocker or another Clemson swag store.

Mr. Knickerbocker had a location at Haywood Mall back in the 80's after the mall opened. They have moved around Greenville since including Greenville Mall (90's) and now Green Ridge. A smaller selection of Clemson merch can be found at Palmetto Moon in Haywood.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:14 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,252 times
Quote:

These Haywood Mall stores don't seem like stores for poor people. It is surprising it was being presented as basically a flea market now.

I don't think that I've been there but there are outlet stores over in Gaffney. It has a H&M and so does Spartanburg. The outlet center has a Michael Kors as well. It looks like we won't have to raze Haywood Mall. Seems pretty easy to stop at the outlet on the way somewhere else.
VMCD ("Vaccinated Masker/Charlestondata"), again, look at the mall directories I posted earlier, particularly in the Dillard's wing. There's been a change from national chains geared at middle and upper-middle income people to locally-owned stores and to budget/teenager chains.

I didn't discover a bunch of families pulling up to Haywood in their Range Rovers when I went last Saturday night. It was mostly teenagers. At least when I was a teenager, I didn't have a lot of income.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:24 AM

GSP / Charlotte

I don't see a problem with a mall having stores geared for young people. But looking at the list of the Haywood Mall stores, I'm not seeing stores that would not also have adult customers, even Gamestop. I'm not a video game player but I imagine people drop a lot of money at Gamestop.

Given you say you like a clothing store with 150 dollar plus shirts, budget for you would be a 35 dollar Nautica shirt at Macy's.
Greenville's not the kind of metro where a significant number of people are going to pay 150 plus for a shirt. I can't imagine any engineer paying that much for a shirt.

Which of those stores are locally owned other than the Greenville gemstone place? I would be more likely to go to the mall if it was more locally owned places.

I think Dick's Sporting Goods at Southpark Mall is more popular than the 'upscale' places like Gucci. Check out the men's clothing on Gucci's website. https://www.gucci.com/us/en/ca/men-c-men We have a ways to go in Greenville before you see a significant number of men wearing clothes like that. I'll be sticking with the department stores.

Saying the Haywood Mall isn't good because it doesn't have stores like Gucci feels like a stretch.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-06-2021 at 07:56 AM..

Old 11-06-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
GSP / Charlotte

I don't see a problem with a mall having stores geared for young people. But looking at the list of the Haywood Mall stores, I'm not seeing stores that would not also have adult customers, even Gamestop.

Given you say you like a clothing store with 150 dollar plus shirts, budget for you would be a 35 dollar Nautica shirt at Macy's.
Greenville's not the kind of metro where a significant number of people are going to pay 150 plus for a shirt. I can't imagine any engineer paying that much for a shirt.

Which of those stores are locally owned other than the Greenville gemstone place? I would be more likely to go to the mall if it was more locally owned places.

I think Dick's Sporting Goods at Southpark Mall is more popular than the 'upscale' places like Gucci. Check out the men's clothing on Gucci's website. https://www.gucci.com/us/en/ca/men-c-men We have a ways to go in Greenville before you see a significant number of men wearing clothes like that. I'll be sticking with the department stores.

Saying the Haywood Mall isn't good because it doesn't have stores like Gucci feels like a stretch.
Vaccinated Masker/Charlestondata, (1) I post under one username and (2) as repeatedly stated, my point is that the targeted income levels and likely rent levels of stores at Haywood, particularly in the Dillard's wing, has deteriorated in the past decade.

A customer who shopped at Nordic Track in the 1990s isn't likely to shop at Manhattan or Branded Customzzz today.

You can look at the directory to see which stores are locally owned.

I have no interest in Gucci and the fact that SouthPark has one is not relevant to my point.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:59 AM

Your Nordic Track hype is interesting in that Dick's Sporting Goods, the Walmart of sporting goods, sells Nordic Track equipment. Why do you consider routine exercise equipment to be upscale?

A store like Branded Customzzzz is not competing with an exercise equipment provider. Manhattan appears to be a chain.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-06-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-06-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Your Nordic Track hype is interesting in that Dick's Sporting Goods, the Walmart of sporting goods, sells Nordic Track equipment. Why do you consider routine exercise equipment to be upscale?
And Walmart.com sells Burberry and Gucci items. So?

The demographics of Nordic Track customers--people who have home fitness equipment--is relatively upscale. Not everyone has space for a home gym or the time to work out at home.

Demographics of Branded Customzzz, Journeys and Manhattan customers--stores in the Dillard's wing-- are not upscale. The Saturday night teenagers that I saw are patrons of those stores.

Here is the directory for Charlotte's former Eastland Mall: http://web.archive.org/web/200501261...tlandmall.net/ There is an overlap of stores between Eastland and the Dillard's wing of Haywood. Given how Eastland turned out, I do not see how have Eastland-type stores bodes well for Haywood's future.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:13 AM

Charlotte,

Are you saying Southpark Mall and Crabtree Mall don't have stores like Journeys?

If those stores have customers, what is the problem? I assume you have a problem with the 'urban' aspect of it. You want more country club merch and customers. Greenville isn't Martha's Vineyard.

If Bruberry and Gucci can be purchased at Walmart, what is the big deal with Southpark Mall having them? I haven't even started working on the traffic flow issues at Southpark.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Charlotte,

Are you saying Southpark Mall and Crabtree Mall don't have stores like Journeys?

If those stores have customers, what is the problem? I assume you have a problem with the 'urban' aspect of it. You want more country club merch and customers. Greenville isn't Martha's Vineyard.

If Bruberry and Gucci can be purchased at Walmart, what is the big deal with Southpark Mall having them? I haven't even started working on the traffic flow issues at Southpark.
What is your problem?

As I've stated, over and over, my concern is the decline in the level of stores (measured various ways) compared to what it was 10-25 years ago at Haywood.

That's it.

Go talk to a brick wall if you're going to make up arguments.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:21 AM

Looking at Journey's website, their shoes are average price or expensive. They carry brands like New Balance which are favored by more affluent people. People in the 1 percent like Bill Gates love New Balance. New Balance is my preferred brand as a middle age middle class conservative dad rocking the suburbs.

Malls went away in Charlotte because there are a ton of malls there. Haywood is the only one left in Greenville and it is at the center of the 40th most populated CSA.

The upscale Southpark Mall has a Journeys. So does Crabtree in Raleigh.

I would say Southpark is better than Haywood based on it having a Dick's Sporting Goods rather than it being more upscale.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-06-2021 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area