Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 29,177 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your feedback! It gives us some extra things to think about as we make our decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 PM

Hey LynchburgLover... back in 2010 I posted about moving from Newport News to Winchester and you commented on how much you recommend it! Crazy!

Old 03-15-2020, 09:05 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfVa View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback! It gives us some extra things to think about as we make our decision.
What are you looking for?

I have friends in Donalds, which isn't too far from Greenwood, but Donald's is rural. Do you want rural?

Abbeville is a historic town, with an attractive square. Due West has a small town, and is well priced.

If you're looking into slowing down, you picked a great spot to do just that .

What are you looking for, however? Do you want rural, small town...which?

FYI: Abbeville County's taxes are among the lowest in the State.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:17 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

I have friends in Donalds, which isn't too far from Greenwood, but Donald's is rural. Do you want rural?

Abbeville is a historic town, with an attractive square. Due West has a small town, and is well priced.

I grew up in Abbeville.. The biggest issues there are that so far as I know.. They're down to a single grocery store. Ingles is the sole survivor after the Co-op and Winn-Dixie closed, then Bi-Lo became Piggly Wiggly, which closed.

That being said. All the schools are pretty new.. It's a great little town full of history. And you certainly won't have any problem getting cabinets made!

Due West.. Well, as the town motto goes.. Due West of What? Short of the college, there's just nothing there. Same thing with Donalds, but.. I'd say perhaps at least Donalds is a little closer to Greenville. I know Dixie High in Due West is pretty ancient, but I believe there's something on the agenda about replacing it?

Old 03-16-2020, 03:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfVa View Post
Hey LynchburgLover... back in 2010 I posted about moving from Newport News to Winchester and you commented on how much you recommend it! Crazy!

Yikes! I hope it was good advice at the time.

I did truly love and enjoy Winchester because of the people we knew there (same with Lynchburg) but I am sincerely even happier here in SC. I will say we are conservative Christians who felt out of water in the DC metro area. Our neighborhood and church in Spartanburg have been a very good fit for us.

Let us know after you visit Greenwood — it’s always helpful to get feedback.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:17 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I grew up in Abbeville.. The biggest issues there are that so far as I know.. They're down to a single grocery store. Ingles is the sole survivor after the Co-op and Winn-Dixie closed, then Bi-Lo became Piggly Wiggly, which closed.

That being said. All the schools are pretty new.. It's a great little town full of history. And you certainly won't have any problem getting cabinets made!

Due West.. Well, as the town motto goes.. Due West of What? Short of the college, there's just nothing there. Same thing with Donalds, but.. I'd say perhaps at least Donalds is a little closer to Greenville. I know Dixie High in Due West is pretty ancient, but I believe there's something on the agenda about replacing it?
The schools are pretty new? Where at? They have a high school that is very old and has mold issues. They are considering consolidation to one new county high school, but I honestly doubt it'll pass. The citizens will vote it down.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:39 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
The schools are pretty new? Where at? They have a high school that is very old and has mold issues. They are considering consolidation to one new county high school, but I honestly doubt it'll pass. The citizens will vote it down.

Well, let's see.. Greenville St Elementary was replaced with multiple new schools over the past 20 years or so..

Wright middle, which used to be the 'colored' high school (to give an idea of how old IT was) was replaced in the past 15 years or so.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

We like rural and small town. Right now we live on a street with about 10 houses, and everyone has 4+ acres so we have room and privacy, but grocery and a handful of stores are less than 15 minutes away. Major retail outlets are 25 minutes away. So we have our space in the country, but it's not a huge deal to get to what we need, and that's the ideal. Mostly we want decent schools, some room for them to run around, and a safe place to grow up. My kids are elementary school aged, and I'm concerned about the statistics on crime. I realize SC vs Va public school system is very different.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Like others have said, you have some choices. You can live near Simpsonville and have a longish commute but be close to Greenville. You can live near Greenwood and have a shorter commute but be further from Greenville. I don't know a lot about the Greenwood area schools but I do know that Nintey Six has a very good marching band program. That may translate into other areas being good - I'm not sure. If I was investigating schools down there, I would probably start with Nintey Six and then look at the others. One other option that some others have mentioned would be to live in Belton or Honea Path. Both are small towns that share a decent high school. They would put you closer to Anderson and Greenville for shopping but there is little in the way of shopping in either town.

Here is a useful link for checking out schools - I'd recommend looking at the "historic" ones as well to get an idea of how the school has performed over time. These are based largely on test scores so they only give you part of the picture.

https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/...l-report-card/

Old 03-16-2020, 10:33 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, let's see.. Greenville St Elementary was replaced with multiple new schools over the past 20 years or so..

Wright middle, which used to be the 'colored' high school (to give an idea of how old IT was) was replaced in the past 15 years or so.
Yet the high school is as old as dirt and having issues with functionality. They badly need a new high school. Good football team though. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area