Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,112 times

Advertisements

Our son and daughter in law live in Lyman. We currently live in New England, and are considering a move to be nearer to them.
We are both in our 60's and retired.
I would like a house on some land so I can build a garage/barn for my four wheel toys. My wife is concerned that we would be isolated and not get to meet people and make new friends. She would prefer a house in a development - preferably a 55+ community which would make it easier to assimilate.
Are there any developments - areas - neighborhoods in the Greenville area that might address both needs ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Our situation was almost identical except husband wanted land for hunting.

But we came to the conclusion: as you age, hunting, four-wheel toys, whatever becomes less important. Being close to people, medical facilities, church?, become more important.

We chose the Eastside of Spartanburg, found a great church to make connections and husband has made friends with guys who take him hunting and joined a gun club.

We couldn’t be happier.

Best of luck.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 AM

58 posts, read 165,387 times
Hi bcbill.

A fun way to meet new people and enjoy new experiences is to go on Meetup.com and participate in the different groups. There are also newcomer clubs available in our area which were not available back in 1995 when I relocated from NJ to here. I know that would have been of tremendous value to me, but you can certainly join such a group.

I am also in my 60's and although I do still work I have enjoyed attending many luncheons with groups of people I would have never met before by participating in Facebook groups which are set up specifically for Upstate Seniors, Yankees who have moved to the Upstate, and such.

With regard to 55+ communities we currently have one in the Greenville/Spartanburg area - the Villas at Carriage Hills and West Georgia in Simpsonville (prices range from $278,000 to $322,400. We also have a few Continuing Care Retirement Communities as well.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,325 times
Two 55+ communities that I know of are The Ravines at Creekside in Simpsonville and The Ravines at Woodbridge in Spartanburg (although the latter is sometimes mis-listed as being in Simpsonville also). In Greenville there are Swansgate (south side) and Anandale Estates (northwest). Your man can find plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities without having to worry about maintenance and upkeep, as LynchburgLover noted.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,797 times
While technically not 55+ communities, a large majority of residents in the Rosewood developments are empty nesters. https://www.rosewoodcommunities.com

Old 08-25-2021, 05:06 AM

35 posts, read 25,256 times
The Ravine at Creekside in Simpsonville are terribly overpriced with a monthly $330 fee. However, they continue to sell without a realtor!

Old 09-22-2023, 12:16 PM

40 posts, read 31,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Our situation was almost identical except husband wanted land for hunting.

But we came to the conclusion: as you age, hunting, four-wheel toys, whatever becomes less important. Being close to people, medical facilities, church?, become more important.

We chose the Eastside of Spartanburg, found a great church to make connections and husband has made friends with guys who take him hunting and joined a gun club.

We couldn’t be happier.

Best of luck.
I remember your name. You used to live in the DC area.

My wife and I have been living in the Rockville area for the last 30 years. We will be retiring by the end of October. We have made our decision and bought a house in Boiling Springs. It is in the process of being prepared for a walk thru.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
I remember your name. You used to live in the DC area.

My wife and I have been living in the Rockville area for the last 30 years. We will be retiring by the end of October. We have made our decision and bought a house in Boiling Springs. It is in the process of being prepared for a walk thru.
Best of luck to you — our first house was in Rockville, off Bel Pre Road; then we moved out to Darnestown, then Virginia.

SC is very different, in a good way, and after six years, we are still VERY happy with our decision.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:49 AM

40 posts, read 31,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Best of luck to you — our first house was in Rockville, off Bel Pre Road; then we moved out to Darnestown, then Virginia.

SC is very different, in a good way, and after six years, we are still VERY happy with our decision.
We will actually be down there this coming weekend for the first walk thru on Monday.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
wow, what a small world! I used to live in DC, Maryland and Virginia region as well
Yes, there are many relocating from the DC area to the Upstate. I just sincerely hope we all remember why we left DC (or NY, NJ, CA etc) and why we chose SC.

There’s a lot more to SC’s appeal than just the weather . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area