Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 04:31 PM

140 posts, read 272,242 times

Advertisements

Just got an e-mail today about a supposedly new Spectrum Mobile service for those who subscribe to their Internet service. The options are either $45 per month for unlimited gigs or paying for one gig at a time @ $14 per gig. Both choices include talk & text. Is it truly new or does anyone here already have it? If anyone has it, is the service good? The offer comes at a time when I am seriously looking at changing carriers because I'm having too many issues with t-mobile.

The $14 per gig plan is very tempting since I always use less than 1 gig a month anyway. The biggest drawback for me is that I really don't need a new phone and it appears that one has to buy a phone from Spectrum in order to get their service. However, the monthly price difference between Verizon (the phone I just inherited is Verizon) service for one line and the Spectrum service for one line could more than make up for buying a newer phone if the Spectrum service works well. The offer really seems too good to be true. At least the $14 per month offer does. Of course, the disclaimer about the pricing being subject to change is thrown in there and that's a bit scary. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 PM

10 posts, read 6,186 times
Spectrum is leasing mobile access from Verizon and they combine it with their own hot spots. So essentially you are still using Verizon's network but paying Spectrum.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,642,385 times
Don't have it, but yes appears they are using Verizon. So you may be able to use the Verizon phone you inherited with the Spectrum service. And per FCC rules you are able to keep your existing cell number when switching carriers (don't cancel your current tmobile before switching, let new carrier switch it for you otherwise could lose your number).

Glancing at the fine print...as with most carriers price doesn't include the normal tax, fees, etc so I would budget adding $5 to $10 a month just in case, if you cancel Spectrum home internet then there's also a $20/mo price increase for not "bundling" your cell service, streaming video quality may only be 480p, per gb/month plans can share data (ie: 2 phones w 1/gb ea = 2gb total to share between the two), any bit over the plan and charged for the next full gb, and for unlimited plans they throttle (slow) your speed after 20gb.

You see here or other similar list to see which carriers use which main networks: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...work_operators

Old 09-20-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisscheese315 View Post
Spectrum is leasing mobile access from Verizon and they combine it with their own hot spots. So essentially you are still using Verizon's network but paying Spectrum.
Yes, I pulled up Verizon's map and thought they looked suspiciously similar.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Don't have it, but yes appears they are using Verizon. So you may be able to use the Verizon phone you inherited with the Spectrum service. And per FCC rules you are able to keep your existing cell number when switching carriers (don't cancel your current tmobile before switching, let new carrier switch it for you otherwise could lose your number).

Glancing at the fine print...as with most carriers price doesn't include the normal tax, fees, etc so I would budget adding $5 to $10 a month just in case, if you cancel Spectrum home internet then there's also a $20/mo price increase for not "bundling" your cell service, streaming video quality may only be 480p, per gb/month plans can share data (ie: 2 phones w 1/gb ea = 2gb total to share between the two), any bit over the plan and charged for the next full gb, and for unlimited plans they throttle (slow) your speed after 20gb.

You see here or other similar list to see which carriers use which main networks: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...work_operators

Thanks for the chart. It would be great if I can use the phone I already have and I definitely plan to do what I can to keep my current number. I did read all of the fine print and am aware of the taxes/fees. I checked with Verizon last night and even their online rep could not tell me how much all of the taxes and fees would be which I think is ridiculous. I am currently paying about $5 in taxes/fees but figured it would be higher with Verizon. I am paying between $55-56 a month total for tmobile and Verizon would be a be at least $10 more so this Spectrum deal really does seem too good to be true. I work from home so am on wi-fi much of the time and have never even used 1 gig in a month.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:44 PM

I called today and they are not allowing people to use their own phones at this time. They plan to in the future. I was all set to try them and now I'll have to give it some more thought. The rep said they hope to allow people to bring their own phone by January.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 PM

387 posts, read 331,858 times
I'd do it except for that $20/month surcharge for not having Spectrum TV. I'm on AT&T fiber and I'm not willing to go back.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
I'd do it except for that $20/month surcharge for not having Spectrum TV. I'm on AT&T fiber and I'm not willing to go back.

I assume you meant Spectrum Internet. You don't have to have their TV service. All we have is their Internet.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:22 AM

387 posts, read 331,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millers1987 View Post
I assume you meant Spectrum Internet. You don't have to have their TV service. All we have is their Internet.
Either, I guess. I never thought I "needed" gigabit internet, but it is so nice to have when uploading large files. Spectrum was fine but once the promotional rate expired the price difference wasn't enough for the fact that the speeds were a fraction of what AT&T offered.

But I never had either Spectrum TV or AT&T television.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 PM

56 posts, read 58,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millers1987 View Post
Just got an e-mail today about a supposedly new Spectrum Mobile service for those who subscribe to their Internet service. The options are either $45 per month for unlimited gigs or paying for one gig at a time @ $14 per gig. Both choices include talk & text. Is it truly new or does anyone here already have it? If anyone has it, is the service good? The offer comes at a time when I am seriously looking at changing carriers because I'm having too many issues with t-mobile.

The $14 per gig plan is very tempting since I always use less than 1 gig a month anyway. The biggest drawback for me is that I really don't need a new phone and it appears that one has to buy a phone from Spectrum in order to get their service. However, the monthly price difference between Verizon (the phone I just inherited is Verizon) service for one line and the Spectrum service for one line could more than make up for buying a newer phone if the Spectrum service works well. The offer really seems too good to be true. At least the $14 per month offer does. Of course, the disclaimer about the pricing being subject to change is thrown in there and that's a bit scary. Any thoughts?
If you don't use that much data then you should look at Consumer Cellular. It's on AT&T's network and has probably the best customer service. I pay $38 a month for 2 lines, unlimited talk & text, and 1 GB of data. You'll never talk to anyone that's not based in the United States. One line would probably run about $30. You can use any phone that uses a Sim card and they'll send you one of their Sims free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area