Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 PM

11 posts, read 10,245 times

Advertisements

I'm next to Furman I have no problems getting WLOS. I have an antenna in my attic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:19 AM

5,174 posts, read 7,410,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa85 View Post
I'm next to Furman I have no problems getting WLOS. I have an antenna in my attic
What brand antenna? Is it one of those larger old style antennas, or a newer version? Those large all band antennas with the wide elements are very well designed for both VHF and UHF. And do you use an amplifier?

And to receive WLOS, you must have the proper balance of signal strength and antenna gain, and the amplifier must be precisely balanced or it will overboost a strong signal and wipe out a weaker signal such as 13. And you may need an FM trap or LTE filter to prevent interference. Just adding an amp may help boost most signals, but for a few problematic signals it can do harm. I use a low gain distribution amp from Channel Master, as well as an FM trap to pull in WLOS. Otherwise, I cannot receive it.

And since your antenna is in the attic, it most likely will not get WBTV from Charlotte unless pointed the opposite direction. Attics can reduce antenna gain. But you could add a smaller UHF antenna and amplifier if you choose to. Such as Clearstream 4MAX from Best Buy, or even the Clearstream 2MAX sold at Walmart. Then you may pull in more NC channels from the Charlotte area. A good amplifier is the Channel Master Amplify sold for $69. Or the Winegard LNA200 sold locally at Home Depot for $39.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WBTV now appears to have returned to full power following a transmitter replacement. The signal now seems stronger than before with the new transmitter installed. I get a full 10 bars on the Samsung signal meter, and the SNR has increased to 34 to 36db, usually around 35. Previously it was around 31 to 33db. So reception should now be good in many areas of Upstate SC with a good UHF antenna pointed northeast and an amplifier.
I get WBTV-3 from Charlotte stronger than some local channels, especially WLOS. Their new transmitter replacement has resulted in an even stronger, full power signal. I have one attic antenna for Charlotte, and another for GSP and Asheville. I use a Channel Plus reverse splitter as an antenna combiner. But sometimes combining antennas can be problematic, so in some cases you may have to use an A/B switch. But no problems here. And WBTV will not be changing channels or power levels after the FCC repack in September 2019. But most other local channels will be changing, except WLOS. But your current antenna should still work, except possibly for WGGS-16, but that remains to be seen.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:39 PM

Updating this thread for 2021, WBTV has again recently made some improvements to their over the air signal and it continues to come in strong and clear in many areas of the Upstate, especially if you are north of Laurens Rd. in Greenville County.

But now there is an added bonus as a result of recent channel changes in Charlotte due to the new NextGen broadcast standard. WAXN-TV 64 has been added to the WBTV signal stream, which adds independent programming and Channel 9 Eyewitness News from sister station WSOC-TV. Also sometimes they carry Carolina Panthers NFL games, and they will be the broadcast home for Charlotte Football Club Major League Soccer. And sometimes they carry ABC programming from Channel 9. You may need to rescan to receive 64.1, or in some cases just tune WBTV 3.1 and it will automatically be added.

But although you may receive 64.1, you may not receive 64.2, 64.3, or 64.4 as they are all broadcast via different channels in the Charlotte market. If you get WCNC 36.1, then you should get 64.4 which is Laff TV. In Spartanburg County, if you get main WSOC-TV channel 9.1, then you should get 64.2 Get TV and 64.3 Court TV Mystery. Also in Spartanburg you can receive both ABC and Telemundo via the WSOC translator on 9.5 and 9.12.

As for ATSC 3.0, the NextGen TV standard, the old home of WAXN on RF32 is now broadcasting the major Charlotte signals in full 1080p resolution, with no decline in video quality due to multiple subchannels. But this weaker signal normally drops out past Gaffney, and does not reach Greenville-Spartanburg. The Upstate market should begin NextGen broadcasts by the end of the year or early next year, once a Lighthouse host channel is determined. And although this may not be a full power station, it may nevertheless resolve the WLOS reception problem in the Upstate if you have a new generation receiver. The current affordable options are specific Sony TVs, or an LG OLED if you spend a bit more. Or the Silicon Dust HD Homerun 4K home network streaming box. There is no standard converter box at the moment, nor a government coupon program, as the current ATSC 1.0 standard will continue for at least 5 years.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:46 PM

Also since the repack and a technical delay, WJZY FOX-46 from Charlotte is now full power and reaches the Upstate with a similar coverage area to WBTV and WCNC. It is now operated by Nexstar, the owners of WSPA where they cooperate on regional news coverage.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:52 PM

266 posts, read 302,587 times
Tyler, any work on ATSC 3.0, Nextgen TV? I just set up a SD HDHomerun flex and am anxious. How far are the Charlotte signals reaching into the upstaste? I am in Dacusville but right at the county line. Thing of swinging my Xtreme Signal HDB91x Xtreme to the northeast this weekend.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:45 PM

NextGen is coming soon to the Upstate but no official announcement yet. Depending upon the Lighthouse station hosting the signal, it may help with the WLOS reception issue. The Charlotte NextGen signal does not reach past Gaffney as it is not a full power station. In parts of Greenville County you can receive current signals from WBTV-3, WJZY-46, and WCNC-36, primarily north of Laurens Rd. You are probably too far in Pickens County unless you are up on a hill with a line of sight. In Spartanburg County, you can also pull in WSOC-9 and WCCB-18. WSOC-9 has a good translator that reaches Spartanburg on 9.5, as well as the main 9.1. It is ironically easier in some cases to receive there than ABC from WLOS.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:27 PM

266 posts, read 302,587 times
I agree with the WLOS signal, it sucks. Thanks for the update hope to se Nexgen here soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area