Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 89,384 times

Advertisements

We were in Greenville 2 weeks ago for 3 days and really liked the area. The only problem is I keep hearing that the crime is bad, schools are not that good and the air quality is not good either. Can someone give me some input on these things, is it really that bad?

Old 09-24-2006, 04:24 PM

55 posts, read 172,925 times
Yep really bad dont come lol ........ joking of course.may I ask where you live ?

Old 09-24-2006, 05:18 PM

22 posts, read 88,256 times
I have a friend that teaches at BJU and lives there. She has lived there many years and suggests that it it just like other places, there are good things and bad things about living in Greenville these days. I will ask her to be more specific.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
The crime in Greenville tends to be the lowest of all of the major urban areas in SC. The schools in the Greenville area are pretty good, too--some nationally ranked. There is a problem with the air quality though--that's one of the negatives. Unless you're especially sensitive to that sort of thing (asthma, bad allergies), it really shouldn't be a problem; it's nowhere near anything like the Los Angeles smog problem.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 PM

25 posts, read 89,384 times
Thanks for all the information. We are relocating from Miami, FL. We figured we had more crime here but the numbers are telling us differently so we are worried. Good Air quality is something Florida is blessed with so we seem to get allergies everywhere we go. Didn't think it would be this difficult to find a place to relocate to. There is alot to consider, you can go nuts

Old 09-26-2006, 04:29 AM

76 posts, read 295,674 times
You mentioned allergies. What about the air quality in G'ville causes such problems with allergies?
Thanks.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 AM

93 posts, read 418,157 times
You cannot watch the evening news without hearing about some sort of crime in Anderson county. However, it does happen in the rest of the upstate, just seems Anderson gets reported more.

As far as the air quality, I have not noticed it. Moved to SC from Nebraska where I had allergies and my son's asthma bothered him. We've been here a little over a year and I think I've taken maybe 2 alaverts, and my son's asthma is almost non-existant and he has even been running track & cross country.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:33 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne1 View Post
You mentioned allergies. What about the air quality in G'ville causes such problems with allergies?
Thanks.
Probably its geographical location in the foothills. The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson area is fairly large itself (at least by SC standards) with a population of 1.18 million, and it is sandwiched between two large and rapidly growing (sprawling) metro areas (Charlotte and Atlanta).

Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 14,211 times
Default Stop Sugarcoating Greenville

There are a lot of things that go on in Greenville County. Most people know about them but refuse to accept them. Yes, some of the schools in greenville have been highly ranked but few people know about the sexual activities that go on in the middle and high schools. Students have sex and oral sex behind stairwells and in bathrooms, even in the basements of some schools that have them. Believe me, I know. I recently graduated this year and I went to Greenville Senior High and all types of things happened and still do happen to this very day while they are relocated at Parker Middle. There are numerous drug deals on campus on a DAILY basis at ALL high schools and some middle schools in Greenville (this includes crack cocaine, marijuana, ecstacy.. etc.) , people bring weapons on campus, numerous fights, and threats are always being made towards fellow pupils and teachers/administration. Greenville in itself is another story. We rank the highest for STD'S in teenagers, teenage pregnancies, school drop-outs and etc.There are drug dealers that sit in class with your children EVERYDAY. You find atleast 10 drug dealers in each neighborhood you go to whether it be a rich, poor, good, bad, black, or white neighborhood. Most people have crack houses sitting right next door or across the street from them and wouldn't even know it. You can have a beautiful, decent looking house in your neighborhood and you would never that it is a "trap-house" (slang for a drug house where drugs are sold, packaged..etc) Domestic Violence rates are VERY high. There are gangs.. which most people dont think could be possible because most people describe Greenville as "a small, pleasant town" Bloods, Crips, Folks etc. and of course we have Murders, Homicides, Suicides, Child Abuse, Rapes, Kidnapping everything under the sun. In 2005 we were ranked number 13 on the Census Bureau for the most dangerous cities. It's not just the SMOG people. Some of us have to realize that things that go on in this city. Don't be attracted to Greenville just because downtown looks beautiful at night, or because we have "wonderful" subdivisions or great neighborhoods where having and raising a family would be idealistic or a piece of cake. It's not all about that. People will only believe what they want, and I'm sure that this will fall on deaf ears but I have seen things in this town that you wouldn't imagine or expect seeing happen right in front of your house. People need to become more educated and talk to your children about some of these things that I'm sure they have witnessed or know about. Because it is happening, in your neighborhood and at your childrens schools or right in front of your face.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,345,376 times
Thanks for the info, fhenderson. I only wished you had posted last week, before my sister made settlement on a house in Greenville. She's dragging my 83 year-old father with her. They lived in two quiet towns in New Jersey but were convinced by an in-law that Greenville was like Mayberry. I can only hope this works out well for them and that your post alerts others before they sign on the dotted line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area