Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM

152 posts, read 322,745 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is just for fun and some good humored devils advocacy, but with the "taller building" thread, I couldnt' help it!! (Sources may vary, as wikipedia had a "Tallest Buildings IN..." for Charelston and Cola, but didnt find one for Gville.

Greenville:Greenville's tallest buildings - Top 20 | Statistics | EMPORIS
Landmark Building: 22 floors
Bank of A building: 16 floors
Weston Hotel: 11 floors
Liberty Building: 10 floors

Charleston: List of tallest buildings in Charleston, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dockside Condos: 18 floors
Sgt Jasper Apts: 14 floors
Charleston Marriot: 14 floors
Riverview Hotel: 13 floors
Ashley House Apts: 13 floors
Canterbury Apts: 13 floors
Rutledge Tower: 12 floors
Francis Marion Tower: 12 floors
Joseph Floyd Manor: 12 floors
MUSC tower: 10 floors
MUSC tower 2: 10 floors

Columbia: List of tallest buildings in Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Capital Center: 25 (SC's tallest?)
Gervais Tower: 20
Palmetto Center: 20
Finlay House: 19
Sheraton: 19
Heritage: 19
Senate Plaza: 19
Capstone: 18
Meridian: 17

BUT COMING OUT OF NOWHERE FOR MOST TALLEST BUILDINGS????????? Myrtle Beach: List of tallest buildings in Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Myrtle Beach has:
33 buildings over 15 stories tall (Tallest is 23 floor Ocean Forest Plaza)
55 buildings that are 10-14 stories tall
32 buildings that are 7-9 stories tall

So, the state "Tall Building" champion is.......not Cola, not Charleston, not Gville........but Myrtle Beach

But I'm sure Greenville has blueprints for 87 buildings that are 400 stories tall in the works!!!!

Last edited by GCreek1997; 05-24-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM

11,712 posts, read 24,839,998 times
Columbia has the tallest building in the state. Myrtle Beach has the most highrises. That list you provided is missing a ton of Greenville highrises. Everything from BofA to Westin to TD Bank to Liberty Square buildings. Emporis fail...lol. I believe Greenville has more highrises under construction right now than any other city in the state also.

Last edited by g-man430; 05-24-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Columbia has the tallest building in the state. Myrtle Beach has the most highrises. That list you provided is missing a ton of Greenville highrises. Everything from BofA to Westin to TD Bank to Liberty Square buildings. Emporis fail...lol. I believe Greenville has more highrises under construction right now than any other city in the state also.
As I said, I'm sure I missed a lot because the google search didn't show many sources, the wikipedia and myrtle beach govt sights provided all the Charleston, Cola, MB info.

I was suprised that it only listed 2 Gville buildings over 10 stories, as I've been in Gville a lot and know those buildings you mentioned. Any info on their number of floors? Update is possible.

Although, the tallest "structure" in the state, I think, is the Ravenel Bridge in Charelston, with a tower height of 572 feet.

Oh, just found one: Bank of A building, Gville, is 16 floors. I'll edit OP.
ANother: Weston Hotel, 11 floors, i'll edit op.

Couldnt find Liberty Square official #'s, but saw pics, looks like 12-14 range.

Last edited by GCreek1997; 05-24-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
. I believe Greenville has more highrises under construction right now than any other city in the state also.
Probably, dont know. I know a local business man bought the rights to the building at the corner of Calhoun/King in Charleston, next to the Francis Marion building. IT's 2 stories with a bar on the roof, and he wanted to build a huge glass tower, 15-20 stories. Charleston Architecture Review Board denied it, for who knows what reason, because they said they didn't want it. It would've been an economic boost and draw business, but Mayor Joe Riley has other interests.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,345,030 times
Lol, it's all in fun. I don't think Greenville has to have the tallest, but I do like seeing things get built. More density is ok too.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,406,055 times
A building's total height is not determined by how many floors it has. Floor heights vary significantly between different buildings. There is no universal floor height for every multi-floor building. For example, the Hyatt Regency building on North Main has eight floors, while the new 'One' development overlooking Piazza Bergamo has only nine floors and is actually much taller.

Last edited by Skyliner; 05-24-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,476,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Probably, dont know. I know a local business man bought the rights to the building at the corner of Calhoun/King in Charleston, next to the Francis Marion building. IT's 2 stories with a bar on the roof, and he wanted to build a huge glass tower, 15-20 stories. Charleston Architecture Review Board denied it, for who knows what reason, because they said they didn't want it. It would've been an economic boost and draw business, but Mayor Joe Riley has other interests.
Charleston is anti-height in the downtown/historic district because they feel that it will detract from the historical allure and charm of the area. They are probably right. Charleston plays up the Old South vibe, as it should. It's decidedly a place for tourism, dining, lazy beach days, partying, etc. Modern highrises would be very out of place there.

To illustrate how anti-height Charleston is, I remember MUSC had a tough time getting approval for a couple of its buildings in the 10-12 story range. In fact, it required a special exemption to build them. They received it only by threatening to relocate the entire campus to existing undeveloped land in North Charleston. The city of Charleston caved (as they should've).

If Charleston wants a highrise cluster somewhere, I recommend North Charleston. That's where a lot of the growth is occurring anyway, due to more available (and cheaper) land.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 PM

356 posts, read 678,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post

Although, the tallest "structure" in the state, I think, is the Ravenel Bridge in Charelston, with a tower height of 572 feet.

tallest structure is really two different television towers 2000 ft high wcsc television tower in Charleston and Diversified Communications Tower near Myrtle Beach

Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Charleston is anti-height in the downtown/historic district because they feel that it will detract from the historical allure and charm of the area. They are probably right. Charleston plays up the Old South vibe, as it should. It's decidedly a place for tourism, dining, lazy beach days, partying, etc. Modern highrises would be very out of place there.

To illustrate how anti-height Charleston is, I remember MUSC had a tough time getting approval for a couple of its buildings in the 10-12 story range. In fact, it required a special exemption to build them. They received it only by threatening to relocate the entire campus to existing undeveloped land in North Charleston. The city of Charleston caved (as they should've).

If Charleston wants a highrise cluster somewhere, I recommend North Charleston. That's where a lot of the growth is occurring anyway, due to more available (and cheaper) land.
Yeah. I heard the Mount Pleasant waterfront which is on the other side of the downtown bridge is gonna build up a lot near Patriots Point. The Tides, Rennaisance, Motley Rice buildings that have gone up there recently are all pretty tall, 7-8 story range I believe, and they plan on a lot more hotels, offices, etc.

That area, the N Char area will grow far more than downtown. You're right. Downtown will always be for colleges, tourists, bars, restaurants. It'll never be a major business office hub. I could, however, see the booming airport region near Boeing becoming that. Lots of land, easy access, airport, etc. North Chuck has a bright future.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM

10,152 posts, read 7,816,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Yep, Charleston doesn't want high rises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area