Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
McGuffy's - a great place back in the day, complete with McGuffy Reader themed menus!
I remember eating there in Greenville on Congaree Road and Asheville at the mall. Would always order their speciality blue drinks they had named "smurfs."

Old Country Buffet at Verdae and Laurens is another restaurant I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Remember the Po' Folks restaurant chain? Other cheap places in town during the eighties included the Duff's buffet on Laurens and The Hungry Fisherman near Pelham and I-85.
Yep, I remember all of those. Fun fact: the very first Po Folks was located in Anderson, on Concord Road. AFAIK, the chain is still alive and kicking in the Atlanta area, now known simply as "Folks."

The Hungry Fisherman takes me back. I think I ate at the one in Greenville a time or 2, but I vividly remember the one near Stone Mountain outside Atlanta. It had a huge lake out front (much bigger than the one in Greenville) and, of course, there were clear views of the Mountain.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 PM

214 posts, read 300,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
JBWhite was never at Mcallister Square. Mcallister was anchored by Belk, Iveys and Meyers-Arnold(a local department store). Meyers Arnold was bought by Uptons(never understood why because Uptons was a much cheaper store). Iveys became Dillards for a short while until it closed and relocated to Haywood. Belk at Mcallister eventually closed. I remember the Morrisons at McAllister and Greenville Malls and the Eckerds at center court of Mcallister with the lunch counter.
Opps, I think I was misremembering Ivey's as another JB White.

The place over the bridge in Mauldin was Her Majesty. I seem to remember that it had two parts to it - I think like the women's underwear side and a kids clothing side? Don't ever remember it being specifically Osh Kosh things, but I could be wrong.

Was it the Open Book that, in the early 80's, had a children's play area with a rather large slide? I have memories of some store around that area with a really fantastic slide and play area that I loved going to.

It was really a shame how bad McGuffy's had gotten the last time I ate there - I want to say around 96 or so, but I could be a year or two off. For at least the first couple of years, they were really good. I adored the tiny thin onion rings. The last time there, the service was atrocious and the food was nearly inedible.

Every time I go visit my parents and we end up in Greenville for Whole Foods/Trader Joes, I get a little bit teary eyed seeing what became of the beautiful trees where Shops at Greenridge now exists. I also get very thankful they no longer live off of Miller Rd.

I also get extremely nostalgic for the chicken chow mien at China Kitchen on Main St in Mauldin. Few places have ever come close to as good as it was there.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Was it the Open Book that, in the early 80's, had a children's play area with a rather large slide? I have memories of some store around that area with a really fantastic slide and play area that I loved going to.
That was the location, but it was a different store at that time. Speaking of that shopping plaza, I have fond memories of the former Belk Home and Rug store.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 AM

423 posts, read 898,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
Service Merchandise, I do believe, was actually on Pleasantburg, across from the current Wendy's near East North.
And just to fry your noodle, somewhat across the street used to be a restaurant called "Sambo's."
Anyone remeber the Dutch Pantry on Laurens? Fond memories of washing many a plate there during high school...
You are mistaken about Service Merchandise being across from Wendy's on N Pleasantburg. That was originally Alexander's and was bought out by Brendle's. Service Merchandise was originally Sam Solomon's and was on S Pleasantburg near Greenville Tech. Brendle's later moved to Congaree Rd where the car dealership is now.

I am behind reading the threads, so someone else may have clarified these things already. If so, I apologize for the duplication.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 AM

423 posts, read 898,678 times
I worked at JB White at Greenville Mall. When I first started working there they had a restaurant upstairs across from the Boys department. The original Belks downtown had a restaurant on the mezzanine and when Belks opened at McAlister Square I they had a restaurant-Vince Perone's and later JeniLee's, if I'm not mistaken. Montgomery Ward also had a restaurant more like a fast food grill. It also brings up fond memories of eating in the restaurant at Rich's in downtown Atlanta as a child. I agree with the previous poster remembering The Golden Fleece at Greenville Mall. The Hrysikos family owned it and later owned Legendz Cafe, which was in Taylors in the strip adjacent to WalMart near Goody's and the Belk outlet. That strip was later demolished when WalMart expanded. There was also originally a Western Auto in the location where the Belk outlet was located. I used to love the sleds and bikes at the Western Auto at Pleasantburg Shopping Center. Retail has really changed, except for Wilson's 5 and 10 at Pleasantburg. About the only thing that's changed there in the last 50 years is that they got computerized cash registers about 15 or 20 years ago. I would hate to have to do inventory there. Speaking of Pleasantburg Shopping Center, I used to like the lunch counter at Colonial Drug. I remember Mr. Long was the pharmacist.

Last edited by gvlgal; 05-16-2012 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: typo, additional thoughts

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
[quote=gvlgal;24323005]I worked at JB White at Greenville Mall. When I first started working there they had a restaurant upstairs across from the Boys department. The original Belks downtown had a restaurant on the mezzanine and when Belks opened at McAlister Square I they had a restaurant-Vince Perone's and later JeniLee's, if I'm not mistaken. Montgomery Ward also had a restaurant more like a fast food grill. It also brings up fond memories of eating in the restaurant at Rich's in downtown Atlanta as a child. I agree with the previous poster remembering The Golden Fleece at Greenville Mall.

Iveys at Mcallister had a restaurant also on the second level called Arthurs. I remember the Grill at the old Montgomery Ward and Morrisons at Greenville Mall in the mall entrance next to JBWhite. JBWhite expanded into that part of the mall when it was renovated in the 90s and Parisian was added.

Have to say JBWhite and Parisian are two stores that are sorely missed.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 28,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Opps, I think I was misremembering Ivey's as another JB White.

The place over the bridge in Mauldin was Her Majesty. I seem to remember that it had two parts to it - I think like the women's underwear side and a kids clothing side? Don't ever remember it being specifically Osh Kosh things, but I could be wrong.

It was really a shame how bad McGuffy's had gotten the last time I ate there - I want to say around 96 or so, but I could be a year or two off. For at least the first couple of years, they were really good. I adored the tiny thin onion rings. The last time there, the service was atrocious and the food was nearly inedible.

Every time I go visit my parents and we end up in Greenville for Whole Foods/Trader Joes, I get a little bit teary eyed seeing what became of the beautiful trees where Shops at Greenridge now exists. I also get very thankful they no longer live off of Miller Rd.

I also get extremely nostalgic for the chicken chow mien at China Kitchen on Main St in Mauldin. Few places have ever come close to as good as it was there.

The children's play area with the yellow concrete a-shaped form slide with two small holes on one side and one large hole on the other was outside of the chick-fil-a in the middle of the mall alongside the tree that had the phones attached to it that told you a story when you picked up the receiver. Man, that slide was always so cold if you had on shorts. There was a concrete turtle that you could climb on too.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
How about ol' Charlie Gertz, giving away a "Charlie Said it Would" umbrella to some lucky WYFF viewer at the end of every 6 o'clock newscast?

Or listening to Love and Hudson on the "new" My 102.5?
Yes, Love and Hudson...Do you remember Buuuuuck White...He used to walk all the way from Gaffney to Toccoa

Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
There is still a few Kash and Karry's on the West Side of greenville, if its the same place. off Pendleton st and there used to be one off Buncombe somewhere too I think.
They might not be there anymore, but they were just about a year or so ago.
Kash and Karry is located at 101 Pete Hollis Blvd. Across from Hardee's that is across from Tommy's Ham House. Still alive and kickin'. They have the best $1 aisle in Greenville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area