Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM

817 posts, read 854,962 times

Advertisements

I'd like to visit some churches that are modern/contemporary/laid back. I want something that's exciting, fun, and hopefully with a lot of folks in the 30-40 age group. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by maskedman; 07-18-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 AM

5,598 posts, read 15,428,745 times
For starters, try Redemption World Outreach Center (Greenville), Marathon Church (Powdersville), or Grace Church (downtown Greenville).

Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 AM

1,954 posts, read 2,777,734 times
Check out the modern service at Taylors First Baptist. Go to Taylors FBC to view the service. It begins at 11:30.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
For starters, try Redemption World Outreach Center (Greenville), Marathon Church (Powdersville), or Grace Church (downtown Greenville).
Thanks. Is the Grace downtown location the main campus? I'm really getting tired of watching a screen (my current church) as opposed to having a real person in front of me.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 AM

344 posts, read 818,623 times
I go to Grace Church at the Pelham Rd campus. The Pelham Rd campus is technically the main campus, but the downtown campus has a "live" teaching pastor. Our only campus that is done via video feed is the Powdersville campus. There is a service on Saturday evening at Pelham Rd, and then 2 on Pelham on Sunday mornings and one downtown. The same pastor teaches all 4 services between Pelham and downtown on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. It's a GREAT church. We've been going there since 2004. I'm in my early 30s and my husband is 40- there is a large mix of ages, but I would say the bulk of members/attendees fall in the 25-40 range. You should try it out! The web site is Grace Church. There will be info on all 3 campus locations on the web site.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM

63 posts, read 125,924 times
I also go to the Pelham Rd. campus at Grace. Best church I've ever been to. My wife and I are closing in on 40, and have 3 kids ranging from 3 months to 15 years. We all feel like we have a "church home" in Grace. Our community group is like a family to us and I feel like I can talk to any of them about anything that goes on in life. The teaching of the pastors is practical and has helped me through many issues on many occasions.

If you want a church that walks the walk, definitely try Grace.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
I go to Grace Church at the Pelham Rd campus. The Pelham Rd campus is technically the main campus, but the downtown campus has a "live" teaching pastor. Our only campus that is done via video feed is the Powdersville campus. There is a service on Saturday evening at Pelham Rd, and then 2 on Pelham on Sunday mornings and one downtown. The same pastor teaches all 4 services between Pelham and downtown on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. It's a GREAT church. We've been going there since 2004. I'm in my early 30s and my husband is 40- there is a large mix of ages, but I would say the bulk of members/attendees fall in the 25-40 range. You should try it out! The web site is Grace Church. There will be info on all 3 campus locations on the web site.
Sounds interesting. So all three services at Pelham road are done by a pastor live in person. Not on a screen, etc. That what it sounds like but I wanted to double check.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM

344 posts, read 818,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Sounds interesting. So all three services at Pelham road are done by a pastor live in person. Not on a screen, etc. That what it sounds like but I wanted to double check.
Yes, all services at Pelham Rd are by a live person. The teaching pastor will do the service at Pelham on Saturday night, the first service at Pelham on Saturday morning, drive to the downtown campus and do their service, and then drive back to the Pelham Rd campus and do the 11:15 service. All in person. It seems like there was one service a few months ago that was done by video feed because something special was happening at the Powdersville location, but in my 7 years attending there, that was the only time I've watched a video feed rather than a live person.

Dress is casual, and the praise and worship music is contemporary, and the teaching is great. We're also part of a community group, like Fiasco mentioned being a part of, and we really enjoy that as well. We love it there!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 AM

53 posts, read 113,104 times
Another vote for Grace Church. I don't go there (I lean more traditional), but I have several friends who do and they love it!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM

411 posts, read 856,383 times
If you don't mind a drive (maybe 20 minutes), LifeSong Church in Lyman (off of Wade Hampton) is excellent. I've been attending with my mother for the past year, and I really enjoy it. The pastor is young (40ish) and passionate about God's word. He's not offensive but he doesn't play any games either. I always walk out with a ton of notes and something that I can apply to my life.

The demographic is largely 30 to 40, with a smattering of older youth, 20-somethings, and older folks. I'd say that the congregation is evenly divided between hard working, blue collar types and white collar, desk jobbers. They are extremely community oriented; and not just the "we're going to this fair to save people" type of outreaches, but we're interested in investing in the community.

They have one service on Saturday evening and three on Sunday. They are preparing to move into a new facility in September, so I imagine that their line up might be changing soon.

Lifesong Church

Last edited by oldhousejunkie; 07-20-2011 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Added website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area