Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,762 times

Advertisements

So I was recently looking at the GCS website specifically their portion dedicated to enrollment stats and doing some simple math noticed an interesting trend developing in GCS. As of the 2003-04 school year the GCS had roughly 44,000 white students enrolled in pre - K through 12th grade with an enrollment percentage of 72%. I was looking at the enrollment data for the first 45 days of the 2010 - 2011 school and the white enrollment is down not just percentage wise but also in terms of overall student population. little over 41,000 white students with a percentage of 59%. Overall the district has grown by about 8,000 students over a 6 year period.

But again the striking stat to me is that the racial make up of the district has changed some might say drastically. 1 or 2 percentage pts. would be one thing but 13 pts.?? and its not like its comparative as i showed above. in a 6 year period GCS "lost" around 3,000 white students.

couple of questions

1.) why? how? lol - unlike up north where white flight happens in districts in the same county the GCS is the district for the whole county. i guess you could white flight to duncan or easley or powdersville but come on.

2.) will there be a day when GCS is less than 50% white enrollment? given the current trend it seems that way.

3.) by all indications the big 3 private schools (CCES, SSC and STJ) are not getting bigger. at least not that big.

4.) are more hispanic and multi-ethnic students identifying with a non-white demographic on data reporting forms?

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd...ll_bygrade.pdf

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd...ollbygrade.pdf

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd.../180enroll.pdf

180th Day Attendance 2004 -- District Summary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,052 times
Default Something to think about

I can't speak for the entire district but I can tell you what I've seen happen in my area of Five Forks (Simpsonville/Greer border). We relocated here from NJ where we had excellent public schools. Our public school system in NJ was ranked No. 2 in the nation when my older children were students. THAT is what we were used to, excellent public school education. We moved here with a child who was just about to enter Kindergarten. I'd say I was concerned with the quality of education at that level pretty much right from the start, but over the next couple of years my concern turned to panic, a panic to get my child out of the Greenville County Public Schools. We also had a son entering his senior year in high school. We felt lucky that he survived the year - physically. There was literal gang activity within the high school. I think that a lot of people have transferred to this area for jobs, etc. and come here expecting that the schools will be much like the schools they left behind in NJ, VA, MI, MA (just an example of my neighborhood) but the fact is for those of us who have experienced excellent public school education, Greenville County just doesn't measure up to our expectations. Plainly said, the schools we experienced here were absolutely horrible.

Only a handful of kids in my subdivision attend public school. Some, like my child, now attend private school. Most are home schooled. Perhaps it's a coincidence that the families I know who have removed their children from public schools are white. I don't know but I thought it was worth throwing it out there. I'm not sure this is a racial issue at all. I think those who can get their kids out of these schools do. Just another thought - perhaps the schools that have a higher percentage of black students aren't quite as horrible as the schools in my area so those students remain in public school? I'm no expert and I'll be the first to admit it. I can just tell you that between 25 and 30 white students in my area left the public school system in search of better educational opportunities. I wouldn't consider this white flight. I just wonder how many families have pulled their kids from school for that reason. Something to think about. That would actually be an interesting trend to analyze - how many families left the school district because they felt it offered sub-par education for their children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
So I was recently looking at the GCS website specifically their portion dedicated to enrollment stats and doing some simple math noticed an interesting trend developing in GCS. As of the 2003-04 school year the GCS had roughly 44,000 white students enrolled in pre - K through 12th grade with an enrollment percentage of 72%. I was looking at the enrollment data for the first 45 days of the 2010 - 2011 school and the white enrollment is down not just percentage wise but also in terms of overall student population. little over 41,000 white students with a percentage of 59%. Overall the district has grown by about 8,000 students over a 6 year period.

But again the striking stat to me is that the racial make up of the district has changed some might say drastically. 1 or 2 percentage pts. would be one thing but 13 pts.?? and its not like its comparative as i showed above. in a 6 year period GCS "lost" around 3,000 white students.

couple of questions

1.) why? how? lol - unlike up north where white flight happens in districts in the same county the GCS is the district for the whole county. i guess you could white flight to duncan or easley or powdersville but come on.

2.) will there be a day when GCS is less than 50% white enrollment? given the current trend it seems that way.

3.) by all indications the big 3 private schools (CCES, SSC and STJ) are not getting bigger. at least not that big.

4.) are more hispanic and multi-ethnic students identifying with a non-white demographic on data reporting forms?

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd...ollbygrade.pdf

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd.../180enroll.pdf

180th Day Attendance 2004 -- District Summary

Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,543,625 times
SC has some of the worst schools in the nation and it surprises me how many that come here don't realize that even though it's been mentioned in this forum over and over. Although GCS has some of the best schools in the state they are still lacking when compared to much of the country. I have a friend that moved to Holland, and her GCS student moved up a grade overseas. I believe it's part of the reason a good majority of our jobs are in manufacturing and if we don't change our public education that won't change. It wouldn't surprise me that white people are better prepared to home school.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM

609 posts, read 1,621,056 times
home schooling and yes, people are beginning to identify with their true ethnic background.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,579,627 times
I can't believe people would leave paradise to follow a job to South Carolina at the sacrifice of their child's education.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,556,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I can't believe people would leave paradise to follow a job to South Carolina at the sacrifice of their child's education.
Hawaii!??

Old 05-30-2012, 03:38 PM

130 posts, read 225,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Girl View Post
I can't speak for the entire district but I can tell you what I've seen happen in my area of Five Forks (Simpsonville/Greer border). We relocated here from NJ where we had excellent public schools. Our public school system in NJ was ranked No. 2 in the nation when my older children were students. THAT is what we were used to, excellent public school education. We moved here with a child who was just about to enter Kindergarten. I'd say I was concerned with the quality of education at that level pretty much right from the start, but over the next couple of years my concern turned to panic, a panic to get my child out of the Greenville County Public Schools. We also had a son entering his senior year in high school. We felt lucky that he survived the year - physically. There was literal gang activity within the high school. I think that a lot of people have transferred to this area for jobs, etc. and come here expecting that the schools will be much like the schools they left behind in NJ, VA, MI, MA (just an example of my neighborhood) but the fact is for those of us who have experienced excellent public school education, Greenville County just doesn't measure up to our expectations. Plainly said, the schools we experienced here were absolutely horrible.

Only a handful of kids in my subdivision attend public school. Some, like my child, now attend private school. Most are home schooled. Perhaps it's a coincidence that the families I know who have removed their children from public schools are white. I don't know but I thought it was worth throwing it out there. I'm not sure this is a racial issue at all. I think those who can get their kids out of these schools do. Just another thought - perhaps the schools that have a higher percentage of black students aren't quite as horrible as the schools in my area so those students remain in public school? I'm no expert and I'll be the first to admit it. I can just tell you that between 25 and 30 white students in my area left the public school system in search of better educational opportunities. I wouldn't consider this white flight. I just wonder how many families have pulled their kids from school for that reason. Something to think about. That would actually be an interesting trend to analyze - how many families left the school district because they felt it offered sub-par education for their children.
You can have your beliefs, but I honestly believe they are unfounded. I went to high school in arguably the most inner-city school in the County, Greenville High. There was not a day that I thought I would be physically beaten. Beyond that I believe my education was just as good as a private school.My year the school sent an equivalent amount of kids to Ivy League schools as Christ Church did. And every single one of them have gone on to do great things. To be frightened because of a fear of physical abuse is silly, if not racist in itself. I also attended a top private university after spending my entire life in public schools. To me public schools get kids outside of their white suburban bubble and let them experience a life they are not used. Growing them as an individual.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,556,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post
You can have your beliefs, but I honestly believe they are unfounded. I went to high school in arguably the most inner-city school in the County, Greenville High. There was not a day that I thought I would be physically beaten. Beyond that I believe my education was just as good as a private school.My year the school sent an equivalent amount of kids to Ivy League schools as Christ Church did. And every single one of them have gone on to do great things. To be frightened because of a fear of physical abuse is silly, if not racist in itself. I also attended a top private university after spending my entire life in public schools. To me public schools get kids outside of their white suburban bubble and let them experience a life they are not used. Growing them as an individual.
Well-put. In education, as in life as a whole, I find that it is what YOU (the individual) make it.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,052 times
I agree, what I said would be unfounded if I specifically mentioned Greenville High but I didn't and wouldn't because I have heard it's an excellent school. We, however, are not zoned for Greenville High and I did try to get my son in there with no success. I'm glad there was never a day that you had to worry that you would be physically beaten. My son was not so lucky. He had four tires slashed in the school's parking lot, he had his windshield smashed with a baseball bat and he was physically assaulted. The kids who did the damage at school then showed up at my house in the middle of the night with baseball bats to destroy my car and my husband's car. So excuse me if I beg to differ that fear of physical abuse is anything but silly. What was silly is that this all happened because a group of kids thought my son dressed too "preppy". And shame on you for jumping to conclusions - racist? I said there was gang activity, which there was. You assumed I was suggesting that black gang-related students went after my son which I did not. My son is white and so were the kids who went after him. So who's silly and racist, me or you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post

Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,652,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Girl View Post
I agree, what I said would be unfounded if I specifically mentioned Greenville High but I didn't and wouldn't because I have heard it's an excellent school. We, however, are not zoned for Greenville High and I did try to get my son in there with no success. I'm glad there was never a day that you had to worry that you would be physically beaten. My son was not so lucky. He had four tires slashed in the school's parking lot, he had his windshield smashed with a baseball bat and he was physically assaulted. The kids who did the damage at school then showed up at my house in the middle of the night with baseball bats to destroy my car and my husband's car. So excuse me if I beg to differ that fear of physical abuse is anything but silly. What was silly is that this all happened because a group of kids thought my son dressed too "preppy". And shame on you for jumping to conclusions - racist? I said there was gang activity, which there was. You assumed I was suggesting that black gang-related students went after my son which I did not. My son is white and so were the kids who went after him. So who's silly and racist, me or you?
What school did your son go to? I haven't heard anything as extreme as that happening anywhere in the area. I hope you and your family are safe however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area