Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 PM

212 posts, read 423,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Girl View Post
My son was not so lucky. He had four tires slashed in the school's parking lot, he had his windshield smashed with a baseball bat and he was physically assaulted. The kids who did the damage at school then showed up at my house in the middle of the night with baseball bats to destroy my car and my husband's car. So excuse me if I beg to differ that fear of physical abuse is anything but silly. What was silly is that this all happened because a group of kids thought my son dressed too "preppy". And shame on you for jumping to conclusions - racist? I said there was gang activity, which there was. You assumed I was suggesting that black gang-related students went after my son which I did not. My son is white and so were the kids who went after him. So who's silly and racist, me or you?
There is no way in hell that they targeted him for his dress style. He was probably a bit of a pr!ck to the "less fortunate" non-preppy kids. Come on, we've all been through high school. I call some serious BS here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM

130 posts, read 225,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
There is no way in hell that they targeted him for his dress style. He was probably a bit of a pr!ck to the "less fortunate" non-preppy kids. Come on, we've all been through high school. I call some serious BS here.
I completely agree. That stuff doesn't happen randomly or unprovoked.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 AM

684 posts, read 1,188,461 times
I went to highschool up north as well and we bused our football and basketball teams in from the city. Some student exchange program that I'm pretty sure went one way. But I too semi worry about schooling in SC. Lots of good Christian private school. And my coworkers keep gushing about their kids in governors school.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,848,486 times
its pretty much the same situation we are in with the poor road conditions, if you want nice things you have to be willing to pay for them.....

Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
I went to highschool up north as well and we bused our football and basketball teams in from the city. Some student exchange program that I'm pretty sure went one way. But I too semi worry about schooling in SC. Lots of good Christian private school. And my coworkers keep gushing about their kids in governors school.
The governors school is state funded. Therefore it is public.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
its pretty much the same situation we are in with the poor road conditions, if you want nice things you have to be willing to pay for them.....
Money doesn't fix everything.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,856,242 times
glad to see a thread i started in january '11 is now getting responses in may '12 LOL.

update - the GCS grew by about 800 kids this school year and yet lost 192 white students dropping its percent below 59%. also 5 years ago the percent of kids receiving free / reduced lunch was 41% now its a little over 49% (probably more since some families refuse to take hand outs). meaning it's not just a racial thing but an economic delema (even though both variables are linked).

new thoughts on the issue

if you've noticed the charter schools have gotten larger (Greer Middle College, Brashier Middle College and Greenville Tech Charter) and of the 3 mentioned all have 80% plus white enrollments.

i think many white suburban families are trying to go the charter route for reasons i'm not going to put on here less i get raked over the coals for speaking the truth.

i did some research and in the 70s when GCS desegregated the districts desegregation plan called for each school to be at an 80/20 white to non white ratio. they tried to achieve this the same many districts tried in the 70s through busing plans.

today GCS's are pretty diverse racially and economically but some are a far cry from it. (i.e. carolina, southside, blue ridge).

parents may be seeking a better education for their kids but like it or not that quest does fall along racial lines. no one can tell me one of the charter schools is light years better than any of the IB programs in the county schools at places like southside, tr, greer and woodmont.

so are they seeking a better education or just a better environment?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,856,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post

in my experience as an educator kids dont take baseball bats to cars in the middle of the night against adults just because the son dressed a little too preppy for their taste. there is ALWAYS some other even uglier reason as to why these events happen.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 AM

186 posts, read 359,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
glad to see a thread i started in january '11 is now getting responses in may '12 LOL.

if you've noticed the charter schools have gotten larger (Greer Middle College, Brashier Middle College and Greenville Tech Charter) and of the 3 mentioned all have 80% plus white enrollments.

i think many white suburban families are trying to go the charter route for reasons i'm not going to put on here less i get raked over the coals for speaking the truth.

...so are they seeking a better education or just a better environment?
I have a child in Tech Charter school because it has the highest graduation rate/college acceptance. The teachers are second to none. And my child will most likely graduate high school with a college associates degree, and can start as a junior at whatever accepting university. (Selfish note: That saves Dad some serious tuition $.)

You want to turn this into a "racist" thing? OK, you announced that 80% white kids go to some charter schools. That leaves 20% minorities. Guess what? That is the racial percentages of the entire United States.

We wanted a better education for our child. Smaller classrooms, college courses mixed into the curriculum, and virtually 100% graduation rates. We could care less if the school was populated by purple-striped kids who worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You've still got your bullies, your preppies, goths, jocks, dweebs, dorks, stoners, geeks and jerks, just like other schools. And they come in every color, handicap, religion, and sex just like county schools.

That is "speaking the truth." Whatever you were implying about white suburbanites was quite obviously your OPINION. Both are welcome here, let's just not let bad information or (school) prejudice confuse the two.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,671,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
We wanted a better education for our child. Smaller classrooms, college courses mixed into the curriculum, and virtually 100% graduation rates. We could care less if the school was populated by purple-striped kids who worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You've still got your bullies, your preppies, goths, jocks, dweebs, dorks, stoners, geeks and jerks, just like other schools. And they come in every color, handicap, religion, and sex just like county schools.
This was our viewpoint / experience as well. We used a charter school in FL for both of our sons based strictly on alternative curriculum (strong arts focus similar to the Fine Arts Center) and school reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area