Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 08:51 AM

79 posts, read 364,268 times

Advertisements

I thought I would toss this out in the open in this forum and see if perhaps anyone has any furniture that they wish to be rid of for a modest fee, or maybe items they just want to throw away? We left everything in Florida prior to our move to TN, and now we only have a mattress and very small bits of furniture. We are on a very tight budget and will be for a while, so I will need to do the used furniture route. (In fact, I actually prefer that for the character it tends to bring to the home.)

Basically we need living room furniture: coffee table, end tables, sofa, loveseat, etc...Also, would be nice to have some sort of a table for the front porch. I currently have a small table that I will put a nice table cloth over until I find something better. (For the porch.) We were able to find an adorable piece of antique furniture for the kitchen. My husband is going to sand it and varnish it, as well as re-upholster the cushions. So we are set with the dining room.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 01:37 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,685 times
You might try the Greenville free cycle on Yahoo groups freecyclegreenville : Greenville, SC
When you get here I'm sure there are a variety of used furniture stores as well as the local ads in the paper. You can get an idea by going online to the Greenville news (Greenvilleonline.com) There is also a large flea market down in Anderson called the Jockey Lot. There are also a number of Big Lots around where you can get some things new but cheap/er as well as the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Red face cheers!

Thanks, Janrey.

We are fortunate enough to be able to get down to Easley a few weeks before my job starts, so I hope to be able to locate a few things. I am itchy to furnish this lovely little house.

I will have a look at the link you posted.

Do you know if people are into "bartering" at all in Greenville and surrounding areas? When I lived in Portland, Oregon a few years back, it was a pretty common thing.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 AM

128 posts, read 613,107 times
i'd check craigslist... you can find anything on there

Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 AM

49 posts, read 254,184 times
Also check IWANNA - IWANNA Classified Papers - There is a Greenville and an Asheville section. Can usually find low priced stuff here. The paper cost $1, and the online will let you look at the ads - but to see the phone numbers, you have to pay $1.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm not aware of battering but there are Saturday yard sales all the time where if you're early you probably can get a good deal on furnishings. Friday's paper usually has the good ones listed in a special section. There are also auctions when an elderly person dies or a store goes out of business but I find at auctions people get carried away and pay way too much. I know you're anxious to furnish but if you take your time you'll be able to get good deals on something you'll like rather than live with.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoole52 View Post
i'd check craigslist... you can find anything on there
Be careful on craigslist, there are some shady people out there unfortunately.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:12 AM

Default thanks, all!

I appreciate all the suggestions! I think I will just bide my time and be selective. Patience will be tough, but if I wait, I will find something I truly want. We have been living without furniture here in TN for over 8 months. We left EVERYTHING in Florida at my mother-in-law's house....(long story..but the crux is, we will NEVER get it back.)

My husband has not wanted to get furniture here, since we knew we would move from this dive apartment as soon as I found a teaching job......So, I am anxious. The only problem is that we don't have a truck, so it might be hard to go with a local person, unless I can depend on them delivering it for us.

Is there a rooms-2-go in Greenville?
And does anyone know if Big Lots will deliver?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area