Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,655,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I was going to mention downtown Greenville is response to wsnc62's comment as well. It has made its downtown a destination in the absence of large corporate headquarters downtown or a convention center. Greensboro seems to be following the same model and although it doesn't have a beautiful natural waterfall that forms the centerpiece of a signature park like Greenville does, it is flanked by two sizable universities which is a significant advantage.
Following a model is one thing, duplicating it is different. I wouldn't expect to see Greensboro duplicate Greenville nor would I want them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,325,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Following a model is one thing, duplicating it is different. I wouldn't expect to see Greensboro duplicate Greenville nor would I want them to.
I agree in that I would not want Greensboro becoming a carbon copy of another city. Greensboro does seem to be following the Greenville model but at the same time has its own unique signature destinations. While Greenville has a waterfall park, Greensboro has a greenway circling its downtown with unique signature public art. Mutiny77 also pointed out Greensboro's unique advantage with its universities being so close to downtown. I like how Greensboro didn't copy Winston-Salem by building a downtown research park. Instead the city is focusing on a downtown university campus/district which will pretty much have the same economic impact as the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree in that I would not want Greensboro becoming a carbon copy of another city. Greensboro does seem to be following the Greenville model but at the same time has its own unique signature destinations. While Greenville has a waterfall park, Greensboro has a greenway circling its downtown with unique signature public art. Mutiny77 also pointed out Greensboro's unique advantage with its universities being so close to downtown. I like how Greensboro didn't copy Winston-Salem by building a downtown research park. Instead the city is focusing on a downtown university campus/district which will pretty much have the same economic impact as the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter.
Agreed, it would not be good to be known as little Greenville or Greenville light.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:32 AM

37,986 posts, read 42,477,658 times
Quote:

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I said Greensboro is duplicating Greenville, as I never even remotely implied such. And that would be impossible anyway because, as I said, Greensboro doesn't have natural falls that form the centerpiece of a signature urban park downtown and Greenville's downtown isn't flanked by two sizable universities--notable differences between the two downtowns that I explicitly mentioned. Like I said, Greensboro is following the same template that made downtown Greenville successful and a national model of downtown revitalization for midsized cities, and that's a good thing.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I said Greensboro is duplicating Greenville, as I never even remotely implied such. And that would be impossible anyway because, as I said, Greensboro doesn't have natural falls that form the centerpiece of a signature urban park downtown and Greenville's downtown isn't flanked by two sizable universities--notable differences between the two downtowns that I explicitly mentioned. Like I said, Greensboro is following the same template that made downtown Greenville successful and a national model of downtown revitalization for midsized cities, and that's a good thing.
It was a follow up comment, nothing more. Had I put it out there by itself it may have not made sense.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
It was a follow up comment, nothing more. Had I put it out there by itself it may have not made sense.
But nobody said anything at all about duplicating downtown Greenville, nor could any comment even be misconstrued to say as much--not to mention the fact that's it's practically impossible for one downtown to duplicate another.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
But nobody said anything at all about duplicating downtown Greenville, nor could any comment even be misconstrued to say as much--not to mention the fact that's it's practically impossible for one downtown to duplicate another.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:20 PM

Do you feel as though Greensboro is trying to duplicate Greenville or any other city in its downtown development efforts?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 AM

322 posts, read 671,642 times
Validation to support one of my points in my post February 1st about the lunch counter museum.

No signed contract when Greensboro loaned museum $750,000 - Winston-Salem Journal: Local Business

It seems that people are not rushing to downtown GSO in droves to see this place, and it cannot support itself without subsidies from the city to the tune of $1.5 million dollars. On top of that, city council members were not even aware that the money wouldn't come back to them. Visits by Jesse Jackson, and busloads of school children won't keep this place afloat.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Validation to support one of my points in my post February 1st about the lunch counter museum.

No signed contract when Greensboro loaned museum $750,000 - Winston-Salem Journal: Local Business

It seems that people are not rushing to downtown GSO in droves to see this place, and it cannot support itself without subsidies from the city to the tune of $1.5 million dollars. On top of that, city council members were not even aware that the money wouldn't come back to them. Visits by Jesse Jackson, and busloads of school children won't keep this place afloat.
It's not a subsidy but a loan, even said that in the title. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is some fund mismanagement as they were late getting their required financials to the city. I wouldn't be surprised if the city winds up running/owning this money pit before it's all said and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point