Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,894,985 times

Advertisements

Hello there

I searched the forum for a while, but could not find any answer to my question. so here we go:

My daugther (freshman here in Asheville) has a pretty good artistic talent (visual arts) and we came across the University of NC school of the Arts/High school level Visual Arts | Home Page they are offering visual arts for 11th and 12th grade, which leaves us plenty of time to prepare and getting her portfolio ready - and visit their open house of course.

when I was looking for online reviews, they were very mixed. most people were very happy with their university level, High School level did not sound so satisfying. but I have learned that people usually complain more than praise, so it wasn't really a big help.

I wonder if any on this board has personal experience with this school that will be worth sharing ?

thanks in advance for your input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,197,990 times
No personal experience, but several of my kids' friends have attended the high school program there in music, dance, and theatre arts. They all gushed about how much they liked it there. What do the negative reviews say about it?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,457,612 times
I'm also curious about the negative reviews. I've only heard good things.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM

sure. this is the site I was referring to University of North Carolina School of the Arts (StudentsReview) - Comments, Reviews and Advice, Student Life at University of North Carolina School of the Arts

It would be great to make contact with someone who actually went/goes there, since this will be first hand information.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,798,513 times
UNCSA is a state treasure and probably the best school in the. State, considering its niche. I have no experience with a child in H S, my daughter is now a senior in the film school. Having said that, I talked to several profs/ administrators when she was a soph in high school and was interested in the 11 and 12 grade programs. They all appeared top notch and extremely well grounded.

Ultimately, she lacked the confidence to apply to the high school, though I had all the skids greased. You can always tell a teenager, but you can't tell them much!

I have talked to several college students who loved the high school. Turns out not all that many high schoolers continue on to college there. Obviously, some do, not all.

The only possible criticism is that it is too intense. I know the college is very intense. My daughter's schedule, consistently been school unil for or five, dinner, and the working on sets, films, or projects. De pending on what is going on, it is seven day weeks.

Good luck. UNCSA is not for the feint hearted or uncommitted!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,197,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
sure. this is the site I was referring to University of North Carolina School of the Arts (StudentsReview) - Comments, Reviews and Advice, Student Life at University of North Carolina School of the Arts

It would be great to make contact with someone who actually went/goes there, since this will be first hand information.
Thanks for sharing the link. Obviously this person had a bad experience there, but honestly it sounds like sour grapes to me. Not everyone can thrive in such an intense environment, but some of the comments in that review seem ridiculous to me. For someone who admittedly has no experience to say "there are no real artists" there is just ludicrous. The kids I know who went there are phenomenal talents--a couple of the musicians come to my house occasionally to jam with my son and me, and they are quite talented. The productions I've seen there--put on entirely by students--are often jaw-dropping. I think this review is simply someone who couldn't cut it and needed to vent.

Whether it's right for your child is something she'll need to decide for herself. But I can tell you that many SA alumni are making big waves in the professional ranks, and the school has a stellar reputation. One negative review doesn't change that.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM

thank you very much for your feedback !

I actually agree about the sour grapes and some of the reviews sound like they were written by the same student.

I am glad to hear your positive feedback !

one of my daughters friends just got accepted there (music), which starts in 10th grade already. this will of course be a very good first hand experience , but takes a while.
We have a couple of really good boarding schools here in Asheville, but boy, they are so expensive (since private) and don't specialize in the arts.

again, good to hear a different perspective, maybe I'll get some more replies over the next days. pretty much the first time in my life that I am NOT too late to apply for something - still 1,5 years and plenty of time to make a decision.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Obviously this person had a bad experience there, but honestly it sounds like sour grapes to me.
unfortunately it's more than just one negative feedback.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,457,612 times
I didn't attend, myself, but I know several members of the faculty and staff, and know quite a few alumni. They are all pretty glowing in their appraisals. It's definitely a serious commitment, and while it's best-suited for students looking to have a career in the arts, a few of the alumni I know (especially those who went to the high school) went on to do totally different things.

And as far as the reviews, I'd definitely take them into consideration, but I'd keep in mind that such a rigorous atmosphere is going to generate criticism from students for whom things aren't panning out, or even those who are just plain having a bad day, and who wish they'd gone to UNCW and majored in sociology. I mean, the school essentially involves stacking conservatory training on top of all regular academic requirements, so it's a fairly stressful climate, potentially.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM

14 posts, read 22,283 times
I attended as a High School dance major, 11th and 12th grade, then continued on for college. In terms of arts education, it's an amazing experience. Bear in mind, students who attend are there because they want a career in their chosen art form. I don't recall the school offering that many advanced placement classses, however I was a 1993 high school graduate Things may have changed since then. You should take a tour and have your questions answered. If you child is seriously considering a career in art, this would be the best move he/she could make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point