Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,620 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently moved down to Winston-Salem from the metro-DC area, and have found it difficult to meet people in their mid-twenties. I don't live near the downtown area so I suppose that makes it more difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked through meetup.com but it seems most of the activity is in Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.

Thanks!
Mel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 AM

97 posts, read 316,563 times
Hi! Welcome to Winston! I grew up there and most people will tell you there are more clubs in Greensboro than Winston, and there are. People in your age group can tell you their personal preferences (mine will be out-dated because I live in HP now and don't go out much anymore) but standard answers to this question include suggesting checking out www.smittysnotes.com. At the top of the page, click on Hot Spots and there's some really good info there. Have fun!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 AM

60 posts, read 131,632 times
Default one thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ka View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently moved down to Winston-Salem from the metro-DC area, and have found it difficult to meet people in their mid-twenties. I don't live near the downtown area so I suppose that makes it more difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked through meetup.com but it seems most of the activity is in Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.

Thanks!
Mel

Sorry for a non-specific response as I'm also new to the area...but in my experience, coed sports leagues (particularly volleyball & kickball) seem to be a great way to meet younger people. A quick google search produced www.wsssc.com for kickball & football leagues.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM

322 posts, read 668,570 times
I'm going to assume you want to socialize and meet people outside a bar or club scene, if you are truly interested in getting to know people,.... so I will suggest getting involved with some of the volunteer groups, or join arts groups like the one at SECCA, that meet, greet, and do fun things like movies on the lawn, or SECCA Santas. Smitty's is a great suggestion....Jeff Smith and I both were at one time members of this group. There are also amateur sports groups that meet. There is a group, if you are gay or lesbian, that has fundraisers and meetings to do fun things. Good luck. When I lived in Winston-Salem (for 3 1/2 yrs), I met and made twice the friends that I did living in Charlotte 10 years prior. Find something that you are interested in, and then search for the group.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,756,771 times
Two words: Harris Teeter. After work. If you are a guy, ask a stupid question about a recipe. If you are a female, ask for help in getting something off a shelf.

100%. This works.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,685,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ka View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Mel
Hand around the colleges/universities or the mall. I'm curious to know why Winston out of all places since you're from DC.

Also, the Harris Teeter thing is legit!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,620 times
Thanks everyone!

@fltonc12 A better job opportunity... plus you cannot beat the cost of living down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point