Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,778 times

Advertisements

It would definitely be something to check into. Thanks for the information. I looked at Wikipedia and it said that Lewisville was trying to incorporate before it woudl be annexed. Who knows how current the info is, though. It could have already been gobbled up by now. Haha, I'll take it with it's *bad* traffic over Atlanta with it's unimaginably bad traffic anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 PM

26 posts, read 121,307 times
Cassie, You are correct about watching out for annexation in areas such as Lewisville, but if an area has already been annexed and there are taxes owed, it would (should) be written up in the Offer to Purchase that the seller would have to pay those back taxes before closing on the house. It shouldn't be a problem for the buyer.

Clemmons is incorporated and has not been annexed by WS.

I also live in Davie County (Advance) and the drive to WS is about 15 mins for me. The only time we seem to run into traffic is if there is an accident or road work, which seems to be handled much better than it used to.

Davie County is trying to work through their high school issues. There are several options out there to alleviate the overcrowding. Visit http://www.davie.k12.nc.us/Admin/index.cfm for more info. We are getting a new middle school, supposed to open next fall. My daughter is in 7th grade this year and I am thoroughly pleased with the school system.

There are a lot of good daycares in the area, I'm not sure about cost now but I was paying $120 about 8 years ago. I assume it will be comparable to what you are paying in Atlanta now.

Can't answer the baseball question, except I know they have competitive baseball for that age group. I will try to get more info on that.

Ok...I hope I haven't bored you to tears...I don't think I've ever typed such a response. Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-2006, 10:48 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Well, it would certainly be nice if the correct taxes due in the annexed areas were written in the offer to purchase, but since I've seen plenty of homes that are still using 2005 tax figures for sales, not even 2006, much less including or even mentioning the back taxes due in the annexed areas of Forsyth, I think it's a case of BUYER BEWARE.

Thanks for the additional info you've offered, which I said from the start I had no knowledge of or else did not respond to because I had no knowledge to offer. This is my last post on the subject. As I said before, I don't plan to move in or near W-S. I've spent all the time on this that I'm going to spend. IMO, it's up to those who are thinking about moving there to research carefully themselves.

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter View Post
Cassie, You are correct about watching out for annexation in areas such as Lewisville, but if an area has already been annexed and there are taxes owed, it would (should) be written up in the Offer to Purchase that the seller would have to pay those back taxes before closing on the house. It shouldn't be a problem for the buyer.

Clemmons is incorporated and has not been annexed by WS.

I also live in Davie County (Advance) and the drive to WS is about 15 mins for me. The only time we seem to run into traffic is if there is an accident or road work, which seems to be handled much better than it used to.

Davie County is trying to work through their high school issues. There are several options out there to alleviate the overcrowding. Visit http://www.davie.k12.nc.us/Admin/index.cfm for more info. We are getting a new middle school, supposed to open next fall. My daughter is in 7th grade this year and I am thoroughly pleased with the school system.

There are a lot of good daycares in the area, I'm not sure about cost now but I was paying $120 about 8 years ago. I assume it will be comparable to what you are paying in Atlanta now.

Can't answer the baseball question, except I know they have competitive baseball for that age group. I will try to get more info on that.

Ok...I hope I haven't bored you to tears...I don't think I've ever typed such a response. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Cassie; 10-24-2006 at 11:15 PM..

Old 10-25-2006, 06:03 AM

26 posts, read 121,307 times
That's why you should always have a good Realtor as your buyers agent!

The reason that 2005 taxes are still being shown is that we don't get the new tax rate until July 1 of each year, of course it's now been over 3 months since we found them out and they should all be updated. But it does state that they are the tax rates for 2005.

You have provided a ton of great info Cassie, I will look for you in the next post!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:38 AM

232 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Haha, lots of realtors on the board. I am a licensed agent in Ga and it seems that when I've come out and offered my services on the Ga board, they get deleted rather quickly by a moderator. It seems quite easy to get licenses transferred from Ga to NC. Any suggestions on a good (low dues, decent support) brokerage. Send me a pm if you have any. Thanks for all the info, though.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:28 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
It doesn't matter if the area was annexed or not because the seller is responsible for paying all back taxes prior to the title being transferred over to the new owner. Ever heard of a title search? That's one of the reasons why they exist.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
It doesn't matter if the area was annexed or not because the seller is responsible for paying all back taxes prior to the title being transferred over to the new owner. Ever heard of a title search? That's one of the reasons why they exist.
Sigh.....

Why yes, I've heard of title searches. I've actually even done a few There are no liens on the annexed properties yet. The bills will not be sent until August of 2007 so there won't be any liens on those homes between now and then. While there are back taxes that will be due, current homeowners are not responsible to pay them now because they haven't even been billed for them yet.

That's according to the Tax Dept. whom I spoke with this morning.

Also from the Forsyth County website. ( Under the annexation section)

"Because of the September 30th effective date, the prorated 2006 City of Winston-Salem taxes will be billed with the 2007 tax levy as required by North Carolina law. These bills will be issued in the name of the owner of record as of January 1, 2006, but will become the liability of the owner as of January 6, 2008 if unpaid."

Any other questions, folks, please take them up with the Tax Dept.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-26-2006 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-27-2006, 05:50 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwguy View Post
Hi Steven,

I've lived in Davie County for six years now and have worked in both Clemmons and Lewisville.

As far as schools go, elementary and middle schools in Davie are great, but there's a big controversy over whether to build a second high school for the county (due to overcrowding and growth in northern Davie...Advance, Bermuda Run, Hillsdale...). The longtime residents of Davie County would not like the more suburban and more-upscale northern Davie get a new high school, as well as cause a division in the county and the current high school's football program.
Well, that's a tactful way of saying it Another way of seeing the issue; not generally noticed unless you live around here or know someone who does; is that it is a bit of a class issue between the affluent eastern side of the county and the more diverse, less affluent western side. Though, expensive housing is moving to downtown Mocksville. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of building those $600K condos at the old jail site. Good lord

We live on the western side of the county; helluva lot quieter over here, more room and less traffic. One hears talk that they don't want to see the taxes raised on their manufactured or modest homes to fund a new high school for "the rich kids" on the eastern side, even though the Davie County School site clearly outlines a balanced plan. Whether one big school is built, or a second school with renovation of the older one, all students will have access to equal programs.

For us, it's a moot point, not having kids. Davie is growing and all the kids need a good education. The growth in population is going to bring higher taxes, that's a given. We'd just like the development to stay east of 64, if-you-please We still have acres of room to spread out here, and some people still make a living from farms. It would be a horror to see all that disappear under more Bermuda Runs

Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
Hi All,

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for information on WS.

My husband will possibly be relocating to WS for his company.

We have been doing research on the area. My sister lives in Denver NC.

My husband has been to the WS area twice and will be heading down again next week.

He went around a few areas and really liked Lewisville. From what I hear on the site that it is a great place to live. However, with the annexed discussions, it is really making me nervous.

A few questions for you:
WS was ranked as the lowest cost of living in the world. Is this a good thing or a bad thing, in terms of job availability.

What is the health care like in WS?

Traffic as well? I commute 1.5 hours eachway on a good day. I have to use my car for work. My husband travels by public transportation and is takes him an hour.

Thank you so much for your help I appreicate it.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethingscount View Post
Hi All,

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for information on WS.
My husband will possibly be relocating to WS for his company.
We have been doing research on the area. My sister lives in Denver NC.
My husband has been to the WS area twice and will be heading down again next week.

He went around a few areas and really liked Lewisville. From what I hear on the site that it is a great place to live. However, with the annexed discussions, it is really making me nervous. .
According to their town website Lewisville officially incorporated in 1991 so I don't think Winston-Salem could have annexed Lewisville in 2004.

If you live in Lewisville, it appears that you will pay both town and county taxes, but apparently not be in in danger of any annexation consequences. You might want to double check with the town clerk though. They usually know everything about everything. You can find the town website by doing a quick Internet search.

Quote:
A few questions for you:
WS was ranked as the lowest cost of living in the world. Is this a good thing or a bad thing, in terms of job availability.

Okay, I had to look that one up because I was surprised to hear it. If you're referring to the Mercer rating W-S was rated the least expensive U.S. city "surveyed." I read that as *of those surveyed.* Apparently not all were surveyed. You might want to take a look at the criteria they base their results on, rather than just that one statement. I looked at several sites that laud that one statement but Finfacts had the most comprehensive criteria I found in the limited time I spent looking.

Overall, I don't think that W-S has an abundance of top paying jobs in a wide variety of fields. IMO and experience it's going to depend on your job field. In some fields and positions you can do quite well. In others...... well, I think you may be surprised by many employers' idea of *top pay*. Also check carefully into health insurance benefits. That's been a source of sticker shock for many who have moved to NC.... even some who thought they would have the same health benefits at the same cost through a job transfer.

Quote:
What is the health care like in WS?
I've heard good things about Baptist Hospital but haven't had occasion to use it.

Quote:
Traffic as well? I commute 1.5 hours each way on a good day. I have to use my car for work. My husband travels by public transportation and is takes him an hour.
It's going to depend on where you work. The Hanes Mall area, for example, consists of stoplight after stoplight where you crawl. I've heard it can be bad at the Clemmons exit. OTOH we're on the NW side of Greensboro and my husband used to make it to W-S ---off of Rt. 52 (when he worked in W-S) in about 35 minutes. Yahoo driving directions shows the commute from Lewisville to the heart of downtown W-S as 15 minutes but that doesn't take traffic into consideration. There's a lot of new development going on around the area you'd be driving from. A good idea would be for your husband drive it during morning and evening drive times to his potential new job location and see what he thinks.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-28-2006 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: spaces and typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point