Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,960,976 times

Advertisements

There are many forms of organic and inorganic arsenic, and each has a different level of toxicity. The low levels of the arsenic forms found in chicken feed (to stimulate growth) are not normally toxic to the chickens or other barnyard animals... however prolonged ingestion of chicken meat (particularly the giblets) could build arsenic up to a toxic level in humans. Arsenic in very low levels may be beneficial because it is an antimicrobial and a stimulant, but too much (or the wrong form) is toxic and/or carcinogenic. It's similar to the cyanide found in apple seeds -- an apple a day keeps the doctor away -- but you certainly wouldn't want to be exposed to a larger amounts of it or for long periods of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,706,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
There are many forms of organic and inorganic arsenic, and each has a different level of toxicity. The low levels of the arsenic forms found in chicken feed (to stimulate growth) are not normally toxic to the chickens or other barnyard animals... however prolonged ingestion of chicken meat (particularly the giblets) could build arsenic up to a toxic level in humans. Arsenic in very low levels may be beneficial because it is an antimicrobial and a stimulant, but too much (or the wrong form) is toxic and/or carcinogenic. It's similar to the cyanide found in apple seeds -- an apple a day keeps the doctor away -- but you certainly wouldn't want to be exposed to a larger amounts of it or for long periods of time.
Great explanation......Thank You!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,960,976 times
NP - I just had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about arsenic because the groundwater on our property contains a large amount of naturally occuring arsenic... JOY (not). That just made our filtration and purification expenses much higher because the arsenic levels are high enough to bad for the animals, not just us.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,701,111 times
Thanks for that information!! But I'm sorry you had to learn it in that fashion...

Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,522,935 times
The only reason I knew they put arsenic in chicken feed was because my father worked at a feed mill and that was his job...put arsenic in the feed. When I asked why, he explained that it made the chickens thirsty which made them grow quicker. Later it explained why rat poison no loner killed rats. All4seasons explanation is far more specific however.

Its funny because I do not eat chicken because of the arsenic content.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
Arsenic in chicken feed? Absurd! Talk about poisoning for profit! Thank you for doing your job Food and Drug Administration. What do I expect form neocon Republicans anyway. Good Government? Not really.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,522,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Arsenic in chicken feed? Absurd! Talk about poisoning for profit! Thank you for doing your job Food and Drug Administration. What do I expect form neocon Republicans anyway. Good Government? Not really.
My father started work at that chicken feed plant in 1974...it has been going on for a long time. I'm not defending the practice at all, just saying its pretty much old news.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
I did not mean to imply that you support arsenic in chicken feed. You sound way too sensible for that. Thank you for the information.

FWIW - I was a machinist back in the day. Broken taps were very difficult to remove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living