Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should China be Held to Western Standards on AGW
Yes 18 85.71%
No, making the "world opinion" leaders happy is more important 0 0%
No, President Xi will be mad 0 0%
No, it will make attending COP confabs less joyous 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 10:05 AM

1,488 posts, read 790,661 times

Advertisements

Those 4 subs were in the midst of the Cuban blockade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 10:21 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Contrary to false claims, there was zero risk of nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis Kennedy caused, and the only risk of a conventional war was if the US initiated it.
Are you aware that we learned around 1972 that the Russians had 4 subs with nuclear torpedos and orders to use them without having to contact Moscow?
Does anyone realize that while both years ended in "2" the Cuban missile crisis did not occur in 1972?

Old 06-13-2023, 11:53 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I'll just post this. It seems emotionally flawed to burden the countries digging people out of poverty with the impetus to save the planet while we dare not give up some of our luxury.

Also, once people start earning around $5000 or so they start caring about the environment as their own life is stable enough they don't have life threatening situations. So they stop poaching and illegal logging and dumping trash all over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuetuYD-3Vg&t=543s

Old 06-13-2023, 04:45 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'll just post this. It seems emotionally flawed to burden the countries digging people out of poverty with the impetus to save the planet while we dare not give up some of our luxury.

Also, once people start earning around $5000 or so they start caring about the environment as their own life is stable enough they don't have life threatening situations. So they stop poaching and illegal logging and dumping trash all over.
OK, what are you personally willing to give up on a speculation that your actions may play a part in saving the planet?

Old 06-14-2023, 06:34 AM

1,488 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Does anyone realize that while both years ended in "2" the Cuban missile crisis did not occur in 1972?
Yes!

Old 06-15-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
OK, what are you personally willing to give up on a speculation that your actions may play a part in saving the planet?
Simple - travel. So many of my millennial counterparts are obsessed with a trip to Europe or a national park summer getaway or whatever. I've been on a plane 3 times in the last 2 years and made them both work trips and personal vacations. I have basically kept all my outdoor rec within Taos county. It doesn't feel depriving, it frees up space for me to actually spend time doing rather than getting somewhere. See the simple things thread for more of my philosophy on that.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
China is preparing for war, not saving the planet

Article title is linked. Excerpts:

We are getting hysterical about climate, while China is ready to bury the world in carbon. Go figure.
China's green energy initiatives are for the most part all smog and mirrors, It's only there to fool the ignorant leftist in America and Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEfwoqKRU8

10's of thousands of EV's sitting registered and then parked in fields rusting away.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
China's green energy initiatives are for the most part all smog and mirrors, It's only there to fool the ignorant leftist in America and Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEfwoqKRU8

10's of thousands of EV's sitting registered and then parked in fields rusting away.
I seriously doubt this. They have much more vested interest and existential push to get cleaner air and less imported fossil fuels which leave them dependent on all these other geopolitical powers. In fact I'd say it's the opposite, the US has the least actual push to do anything about their greenness, a lot of it is just corporate branding.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:08 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
I hit the "Post" button too quick. One question; why is China not held to the same standards as the West on environmentalism?

What is the west going to do about it? They became dependent on China for cheap imports, and China doesn't care what the west thinks. China will do what China is going to do, and though I don't support dictatorships, I do think western elites need checks and balances held on them, so I'm in support of a nation to go against western hegemony.

I'm very neutral on Xi and the CCP and all world leaders in general. They all have some good, some bad to them. Human nature. Xi is a product of his upbringing. A sad childhood he had where his father was outcasted from the communist party and he was socially bullied for a long time over it. It made him into the person he is today.

The major threat to the planet is not carbon, it's deforestation and desertification. China knows about this first hand, trying to regreen quite a bit of their land. There should be a global law that says no more than 50% of a certain area can be cleared of diverse virgin forest for development and the rest must remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuetuYD-3Vg&t=543s

Cool video. Keep in mind modern China seems more concerned with militarizing itself to become a global power over feeding it's people. I suppose it can achieve both long term though. Communist dictatorships have this habit of putting on a phony dog and pony act to try to impress the west, like what North Korea does, but what you go outside the areas where the cameras are allowed, only then do you see the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKIQpu4hhQ

Last edited by sholomar; 06-25-2023 at 01:20 PM..

Old 07-11-2023, 03:06 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
China has the edge on us when it comes to high-speed rail that runs on electricity. They have 26,000 miles of it and we have zero. They don`t need a lecture from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living