Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to revive my mind--brain dead from politics, dancing celebrities, etc

Around the holidays I collected all the plastic packaging from the frequent shopping trips to Walmart/Target.

I noted that the packaging from certain products from one of the stores was much sturdier and more difficult to remove than the other. From that I can only infer that more petroleum is utilized in the manufacturing process. The cost must be staggering and why is this necessary?

Shouldn't there be some 'standard' of plastic packaging--safe for the consumer, not too impossible to open and even less wasteful of petroleum?

If company X can package its product more responsibly I know that is the product for me.

I expressed this opinion to a member of management and believe the corporation could care less. Certain the manufacturers care even less.

There would be 'outrage' if anyone suggested that the government intervene but maybe that is the only alternative?

'Just don't buy the product' is not a good response. I buy as little as I can, FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM

20 posts, read 70,475 times
One of the large companies you mentioned that is known for beating their vendors into submission for low prices is now going a step further. They are now asking for reduced packaging material with an overall goal of zero waste. Now that is a tall order, but at least they are moving in the right direction. And with as much product that they do sell, they realize that even small improvements can have dramatic effects (which in turn they can use for promoting and improving their public image).

Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM

If it is the one known for 'high volume' I am encouraged.

I hate plastic packaging--just absolutely hate it. Hate that it is necessary because of pyschopaths employed in manufacturing and loose among the general population.

If there comes a time when every bit of plastic has to be recycled I won't mind. I know the economy would grind to a halt but I am sick and tired of seeing 'Junk'.

So much that needs to be thrown away in today's world. The wrong things are frequently discarded.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
A new Walmart opened near me two weeks ago. Though it replaced what wa sonce trees, the store itself has some green features. The most noticeable one is that the lights in the frozen food freezers do not come un until someobody walks close to them.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM

I think there is a need for stores like Walmart.
Those with more expertise in corporations make valid points about questionable business practices. Any/and all corporations might benefit from close scrutiny, jmo.

The use of plastic packaging and shoddy merchandise--much of it is plastic that is what irritates me.

I don't know about others but I have to find a sturdy pair of scissors to open many packages. Once it took a screw driver. That is ridiculous.

Many pieces of hard candy are packaged in plastic too--again I have to carry scissors if I want to open them.

I try to remember not to buy the particular brands but sometimes I forget--waste of time and $.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
What I hate is when something as small as a cell phone comes in a package as large as a shoe box.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
Computer software's pretty bad too. A huge box for one CD and a pamphlet.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
It really bothers me that my favorite toothpast (aquefresh extreme clean) comes in a plastic box, when so many others use recyclable cardboard. So much that I have been meaning to write the a letter, I think I may do it right now.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Wow. I actually got a response back from Aquafresh, and it even acknowledged I wrote about packaging. Do I think it will do any good? Nah. Not unless a bunch more people write in. If anyone would like to join me: https://www.aquafresh.com/contact.aspx

Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Talking We sell clear plastic packaging

Hip lik packaging products fty. ltd is a corperation, which have nearly 40 years experiences to manufacture clear plasic boxes is the leading of packaging industry.
There are many excellent technicians and engineers in our company. Our products also are popular with customers. Because the raw material we used, such as PP and PET, are environmental friendly.
More information about us, please click this link: Hip Lik Packaging Products Fty. Ltd.

Last edited by pros2008; 05-08-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living