Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Yep it sure did but I bet you don't take your old paper or plastic bags back to the store!!

And if you do good for you. You get a gold star for the day!
Nope, I don't take them back I reuse them. The paper goes into the compost heap to make good fresh soil for the garden, and th eplastic bags are used as trash bags.

Seriously?! Why buy "trash bags"?! They are thicker material, which means it will take longer to break down, not to mention the white plastic grocery bags are free, so I am saving money by using them and not trash bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yep, My local ALDI's hasthis as well. Personaly I never understood it. People leave their carts floating in the parking lot any other time, but ooooooohh when theres a quarter at stake, we gotta get it back { ITS ONLY A QUARTER!!!!! } But hey, whatever woks I guess.
Yup, good ole Aldi's, they are the only ones in this area to do it was well. Seriously on opening weekend there a few years back, we (kiddo and I) made probably $5 from bringing all the carts back inside. No one in the area was used to it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
But if the garbage co. won't take trash if it's not in a bag, how is using a thinner free grocery bag (amusing it's an eco-friendly bag) worse for the environment than a thicker purchased trash bag?
IMO, it's not, and I think it's better, since most people throw the plastic bags away in their trash bags, so I am just taking one bag out of the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerkim View Post
I would probably need to purchase 20 reusable bags to meet my needs. Not only that, i would have to do that for each store I go to.
Good LORD do you a month's worth of shopping all at once?! The bags I have will hold a TON of stuff each. Seriously, I go shopping weekly, and I only take 4 or 5 bags with me. I still ask for plastic for certain stuff like meats, but for the most part, it's reusuable. Well that is, when I remember them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living