Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 05:54 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,936 times

Advertisements

hi there,

i would like to purchase metal containers instead of plastic in the future, tho i still have some plastic containers that i will use up...
also the metal ones that i have seen anyways are 15$ for one small one!?

so, i use glass jars that are from store bought... salsa, applesauce... etc...
i just reuse ... even put left over pasta... etc and take with me to work, whatever will fit in them...

but i wonder about freezing them, can you even freeze them with out them breaking?
what could you put into it with out it possibly cracking, i had liquid, broth in a jar and just noticed that one of them broke.
maybe only the big hefty Mason jars are ok for filling and putting in freezer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:09 PM

37,117 posts, read 41,292,919 times
I like to reuse glass containers, too. You can pop them in the microwave, so they are great for leftovers and soup to take to the office.

You can freeze in glass, but you need to allow enough "head room" in the container to allow for expansion of the frozen food. Do not fill it to the very top. Even plastic containers will crack if you overfill them. (Just threw one away that I did that to.)

Why would you want to use a metal container?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 PM

have seen these before?

No Plastic! Eco-Friendly Lunch Boxes & Food Containers

they are stainless steel actually.
like the idea. too expensive though

yeah, dropped a plastic container that was frozen and it broke too.

well, i guess i need to make sure there is enough room.
they are not leak proof either, but thats ok.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
have seen these before?

No Plastic! Eco-Friendly Lunch Boxes & Food Containers

they are stainless steel actually.
like the idea. too expensive though

yeah, dropped a plastic container that was frozen and it broke too.

well, i guess i need to make sure there is enough room.
they are not leak proof either, but thats ok.
Besides the expense, the only problem I see is having to transfer food you want to heat to another container.

The metal lunch box has come a long way since my Roy Rogers box with the thermos with the glass liner, circa 1950s!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,379,620 times
I save most glass containers to re-use. I store baking ingreients, dehydrated foods, herbs/spices, etc. I buy in bulk, so I re-package items when I get them home. I have large plastic food grade buckets (that I got for free at the bakery) for flour, sugar, salt, etc. I have glass containers on my pantry shelves for smaller portions of those items. Storing in glass improves the shelf life vs. a bag or cardboard container.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I save most glass containers to re-use. I store baking ingreients, dehydrated foods, herbs/spices, etc. I buy in bulk, so I re-package items when I get them home. I have large plastic food grade buckets (that I got for free at the bakery) for flour, sugar, salt, etc. I have glass containers on my pantry shelves for smaller portions of those items. Storing in glass improves the shelf life vs. a bag or cardboard container.
And healthier than storing food in plastic containing BPA!

For those who store water for emergencies one may "can it" in unused sterile canning jars and it takes no more room to store than the canning jars would anyway.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
All good points on glass jars.

One thing to warn everyone, make sure you have sterilized the glass jars and replace the caps if it originally came from a processed food item. Jars and caps can have chemical additives manufactured intot he containers and may leech into the next content if not properly cleaned. Jars are easy with a good hot cleaning but lids are harder without removing the specially manufactured preservative lids. Discarding by recycling and replacing with unoprocessed lids are best. Just an FYI to be safe.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
All good points on glass jars.

One thing to warn everyone, make sure you have sterilized the glass jars and replace the caps if it originally came from a processed food item. Jars and caps can have chemical additives manufactured into the containers and may leech into the next content if not properly cleaned. Jars are easy with a good hot cleaning but lids are harder without removing the specially manufactured preservative lids. Discarding by recycling and replacing with unoprocessed lids are best. Just an FYI to be safe.
If you use the jars designed for canning, you can reuse the metal rings if they are not rusty. Just get new seals. I actually prefer plastic lids. I am not convinced the chemicals in them are dangerous. If I use a canning jar, I just replace the metal seal and ring with one of the plastic lids.

Here are some glass jar alternatives:
Jars & Canisters
The lids I use are the Ball lids about 3/4 of the way down the page.
They are just for storage. Do not use for heat processing.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 PM

I had one of those kind of jars...
Never bought one, the kind you are talking about, ...
Glass with a locking lid...

A few years ago, I bought a jar of jam, from Trader Joes, and it was in one of those jars. I loved it, the jar! I think I broke it about a year ago, it was in the freezer.

As I keep "letting" food in fridge get moldy and yukky in the few plastic containers that I have left, I am steadily throwing them all away.

I do have a few "Snapware" brand left.

I would love to know what you all do for taking sandwiches, salads, ... things that don't fit well in a jar...

what about for freezing? just make sure to leave room?

I don't have the money to go out and get all new stuff, but feel bad using foil or plastic bags for sandwiches..

Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you use the jars designed for canning, you can reuse the metal rings if they are not rusty. Just get new seals. I actually prefer plastic lids. I am not convinced the chemicals in them are dangerous. If I use a canning jar, I just replace the metal seal and ring with one of the plastic lids.
If buying new unused glass jars and lids, they are not a problem. The problem are the lids that are speced by food processors to have additional addatives prepackaged in the lid. Some products may contain natural ingredients that can have a reaction with the metal lid. They food processor buys lids that have imbedded chemicals to prevent a reaction. Others have a high dosage of preservatives or compunds to keep the top of the food that is exposed to air while sitting on the shelf from getting yucky.

If you open a jar and remove the disc attached to the underside of the lid and discard it, once you do a good cleaning, you are good to go.

Jars and cans are common users but the biggest culprit is "organic" "chemical free" or "natural" foods because they don;t want to say they use artifical preservatives but some items must have it to maintain any reasonable shelf life. So they buy packaging with a small dose manufactured in it so it leeches into the food product. But because if it goes over a limit they must disclose it, the amount is really low. Honestly i would say its a very samll number who do this outside the processed food insustry.

The biggest exception is pet foods. Never reuse a pet food container.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living